All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-06-2004, 02:45 AM

Kurgan is on a distinguished road
Red face Scratched screen cover / replacement fascias.

I've only had my 6600 for a few days but this morning I managed to stick my keys in the same pocket only to discover that I've scratched the screen. It's not a really deep scratch but nor is it one of the superficial ones that don't show up - I notice these ones when the backlight is on.

I have had a go at polishing them out with a dab of toothpaste and a glasses cloth but it has done nothing (if I was really honest maybe even a little bit worse) other than leave my phone smelling minty fresh.

I've ebayed some Displex phone sratch remover, but as that works on the same principle as toothpaste I'm not holding my breath (I've also ebayed a body glove case to stop this happening again).

The replacement fascias also replace the screen covers right? As a last resort I could just get a new fascia and replace the screen cover that way?

Cheers!

Old 20-06-2004, 06:48 AM

treble is on a distinguished road
dude..

having ur screen scratched is a total pain n the @#@.. i got that fixed.. i just buy new 6600 cover.. hopefully its not expensiv there but here in philippines they sell it for like 2 US dollars.. best part is that u dont worry no mor..u can put it anywhere.. no screws need to change.. just b careful of the lens behind !!

Old 21-06-2004, 08:42 AM

JasonT is on a distinguished road
I'm paranoid of that one.

1) Easy: keep the plastic on when you get the phone
2) Hard and cheap and probably stupid: put a bunch of cellotape on the phone
3) Best: take off the original plastic, stick it on a piece of paper, draw around it, get some palm screen protectors, cut out a new protector and put it on your phone.

I'm more disgruntled about the back cover. You get new phones all the time, they don't come w/ the back cover (at least mine don't). And since Moronkia decided not to put any charging terminals on the bottom, Instead of a decent desktop stand I have to use some funky business card holder and keep it in sideways.
*rolls eyes*

Old 27-01-2005, 03:57 PM

johnnyvaio is on a distinguished road
Question Did anything work?

How did displex work? What is the toothpaste theory? I have a couple scratches on my 6600, and I am looking to eliminate them. What worked best?

Johnny
Ads

Old 01-03-2005, 11:26 AM

Kurgan is on a distinguished road
I can't say the Disprex worked very well, it leaves a kind of water ring effect - if you are really bothered, replace the fascia.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:27 PM

firepro is on a distinguished road
I think the best thing to protect your screen is the 2" wide packing tape. I have had it for years on other phones and it seems harder to scratch than the actual screen. When I first got the 6600 I tried screen protectors from my Ipaq, but this distorted the screen and made it hard to read. I went the packing tape route and clarity definitley improved.

BTW I had a headlight that had a major scuff and scratches. I used a terry cloth rag and fine jeweler polish. With some serious elbow grease I was able to remove the majority of the damage.