All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N80

Poll: Was your Internet Edition Upgrade Successful?
Poll Options
Was your Internet Edition Upgrade Successful?

Old 03-12-2006, 05:52 PM

elaverick is on a distinguished road
Was your Internet Edition Upgrade successful?

Just a quick post so that people can judge the relative risks of upgrading their phone to the IE firmware.

If you've managed to brick your phone can you please post the software version you were upgrading from and any other aspects that may have caused the flashing to fail and if and how you managed to restore it.

For anyone who gets through the flash and then finds that they can't get past the Nokia startup splash screen the recommended procedure is to do a HARD FORMAT - Press and Hold the Green Call button, the numeric 3 key and the * key whilst switching on the phone... hold these until the phone completes it's boot up procedure.

So we can keep this thread easy to read only add a post to your vote if you've had problems.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:20 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
Iv done mine with no probs at all, iv used phoenix 18 times now to flash phones, iv flashed my own n80 5 times with succes every time, now its running the IE firmware and its great, just waiting for a v5 firmware now of the IE firmware, id chose to use phoenix over the NUS as there are alot of ppl killing there nokias when using the nokia update software! P.S. Good luk to any1 flashing ur phone, if u instal everything rite and folow the proper steps writen by me in another post on this forum then ur update shud go perfect!

Old 03-12-2006, 10:01 PM

livfc is on a distinguished road
Talking Flashed Bricked Phone Successfully

I bricked my phone first time around upgrading to IE firmware...Installed Pheonix on a machine which did not have any Nokia stuff on it before. Went through the flashing process and after it got to 100% it said flashing failed. Think the connection went and came back as half way through it stalled and prompted me to select PC suite again on my phone. At the end took out battery and hit power button with the battery back in and it was dead.

I followed the dead phone revival guide found on this thread: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...t=53110&page=4 Followed the info given by WPKenney using the modified instructions compared to the PDF. Chose same Euro 1 Pearl black code and it loaded all the IE firmware paths. Firmware completed 100% successfully this time around and I have a fully functional N80 with IE firmware to my delight!

Old 04-12-2006, 01:07 PM

micscave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by livfc
I bricked my phone first time around upgrading to IE firmware...Installed Pheonix on a machine which did not have any Nokia stuff on it before. Went through the flashing process and after it got to 100% it said flashing failed. Think the connection went and came back as half way through it stalled and prompted me to select PC suite again on my phone. At the end took out battery and hit power button with the battery back in and it was dead.

I followed the dead phone revival guide found on this thread: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...t=53110&page=4 Followed the info given by WPKenney using the modified instructions compared to the PDF. Chose same Euro 1 Pearl black code and it loaded all the IE firmware paths. Firmware completed 100% successfully this time around and I have a fully functional N80 with IE firmware to my delight!
Flashed one phone successfuly but just tried another one and it failed at the same point as the posting above. Finding The dead flashing guide hard to follow as the options in phoenix seem to be different to those of the guide. I'm using the latest version of phoenix.
Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Ads

Old 04-12-2006, 03:42 PM

pinksteady is on a distinguished road
One thing I've noticed about the new IE firmware is that if you look in application manager, a LOT of apps are installed on the phone memory, like Adobe, Search etc. Personally, I try and keep as many apps off the phone memory as possible to preserve the very limited space available on it, so I'm going to go through and uninstall all these apps and reinstall them again onto the memory card.

I think possible these listed apps are actually not installed, but rather just the icons you see in 'Downloads', which are showing up in app manager, but I'm not too sure about that.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 PM

Biggzy is on a distinguished road
The adobe etc are instaled, its what u get with the latest n80 and n80IE firmware pack, u can remove them tho or just format the phone memory to get rid of them, av a luk at the fones memory, u shud have around 26mb free, however after u get rid of all the apps in app manager ur mem shud go upto around 41mb