All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-10-2009, 05:29 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Wahoooo!!! I've upgraded....... to version 12.

Not sure how long this has been available because I found it in the software update app, it's never shown up on NSU at all for me.....

I don't get why this is? If an update was available, why wouldn't NSU tell me?

Does this mean I need to check the update app too from now on in case version 2 is released on this and not NSU?
Ads

Old 27-10-2009, 05:38 PM

bsimpson is on a distinguished road
I updated a couple of hours ago and guess what...... on the first call I received, when I finished, the phone got stuck with no option to hang up. I have never had problems like this with the phone before so am somewhat perplexed. GPS still does not work properly. Scrolling seems ok. Can't really see any more changes. Seems an awfull long time to wait for not very much to be honest. Still love the kit though.

Cheers,

Barrie

Old 27-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Dansri is on a distinguished road
finally remembered my log in!! lol

just updated my product code and downloading as we speak......

hope its better than before!!!

Old 28-10-2009, 02:21 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
Installing now. Changed code back to Euro. Its already warranty void because I wanted 12 early. If anything insurance covered.

Glad its out, I know its not going to be the bees knees, but I HOPE there is enough improvement to warrant me keeping it.

Old 28-10-2009, 07:45 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAaronVenn View Post
Oh dear.
The Idiots at Nokia have outdone themselves this time.
Now, after using NSU, it tells me:
"Software Update Failed. For optimum connection your cable should be connected directly to your PC"
Mmm, insightful words.
Because you see, it is plugged into my laptop. I have 4 USB ports, none of them work with NSU.
Do you know why?
Because i've been told that Nokia have blocked majority of Laptops because apparently "HUBS" lead to Bricked Phones.
Um, they're not Hubs. They're USB ports.
and the NSU has bricked this phone 3 times in a row.

So AGAIN, for a 3RD time, Nokia have inconvenienced me beyold reproach.
I can't even flash the C**t of a thing.

Does anyone know to brick a working phone?
Then i'll install it properly via JAF.

NSU is a f**king joke.
Nokia are c**ts and need to work out how to release products that work.
No wonder they lost so much profits last year, people have finally caught on that they're all useless.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me, BUT on the first attempt, I had got 138mb downloaded out of 140. It was a very slow connection speed and up til then had already taken me nearly two hours to download.

Since then, it just won't even start the download again, get the same message as above. And I have to agree, I do think NSU is a typical Windoze rickety piece of kit. Don't even got the option to downlaod it OTA on the phone.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 28-10-2009, 09:28 AM

MrAaronVenn is on a distinguished road
it's awesome hey. I love how the NSU Identifys the phone then goes "oh, actually, no its not plugged in now, oh, I can't recognize it"

i hate nokia now
and all because of this phone
everything bad that could possibly happened has happened to this phone
and because they've told me to "update" it to make it better.

oh, and funny thing you'll all notice, if you uninstall Ovi & PC Suite,
then re-install it, it does not recognize your N97.

Brilliant Nokia.

So whatever the f**k they've done recently has f**ked up
NSU, PC SUITE, OVI, and even maps.

Good work Nokia. YOu guys are awesome.
Your phone is shit and needs constant updates that make it worse
I'm seriously going to stand in the middle of Sydney telling people to buy iPhones or indeed any other phone from any other company
because never have I been so disgusted with a company for wasting my time and money than I have with this f**king N97

Old 28-10-2009, 09:36 AM

zxon is on a distinguished road
I've had mixed experience with the N97 when it comes to connecting it to PCs. It used to be flakey on my home PC but it never missed a beat on my work PC, and they've both got the same OS (Vista Business). Now I've upgraded to v2 of Ovi Suite at home, it detects it every time.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 28-10-2009, 10:59 AM

oxfordmark is on a distinguished road
I cant get the destinations menu.. Its just goes back to the main screen... anyone else having this?

Old 28-10-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpson View Post
I updated a couple of hours ago and guess what...... on the first call I received, when I finished, the phone got stuck with no option to hang up. I have never had problems like this with the phone before so am somewhat perplexed. GPS still does not work properly. Scrolling seems ok. Can't really see any more changes. Seems an awfull long time to wait for not very much to be honest. Still love the kit though.

Cheers,

Barrie
I've been having this problem for the last couple of weeks, so am a bit dismayed to find v20 hasn't sorted it out. As I said at the time, what is the point of a 'phone', if it cannot handle phone calls properly. One day in particular, had to re-boot the phone about four times.

The reason? I got too many phone calls. The phone just couldn't handle it and went into a panic. Almost had to tell people to stop ringing me, as my mobile phone was utter rubbish at handling , errrm, mobile phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAaronVenn View Post
it's awesome hey. I love how the NSU Identifys the phone then goes "oh, actually, no its not plugged in now, oh, I can't recognize it"

i hate nokia now
and all because of this phone
everything bad that could possibly happened has happened to this phone
and because they've told me to "update" it to make it better.

oh, and funny thing you'll all notice, if you uninstall Ovi & PC Suite,
then re-install it, it does not recognize your N97.

Brilliant Nokia.

So whatever the f**k they've done recently has f**ked up
NSU, PC SUITE, OVI, and even maps.

Good work Nokia. YOu guys are awesome.
Your phone is shit and needs constant updates that make it worse
I'm seriously going to stand in the middle of Sydney telling people to buy iPhones or indeed any other phone from any other company
because never have I been so disgusted with a company for wasting my time and money than I have with this f**king N97
You know, if it wasn't for the saving grace of my old N95, I would not touch another Nokia again.

On NSU, I had downloaded 98.5% of v20 when it decided - like the phone used to do - it had enough and couldn't bothered working any more, and crashed spectacularly.

After that, I plugged in the phone, connected it to NSU, which promptly told me there were no new updates for the phone, and v12 was the most up to date. WTF? What are you on about NSU? You've just been d/loading v20, you idiot.

Then after trying for the umpteenth time, it just failed to even start the download. Doesn't even say why. Just treats you like an idiot, basically. Something like 'The software update has failed'.

Ooh, how terribly useful. What would I have done without that on screen description.

Ok, so it's failed - what can I do now? Hmmm, lets see the options....oh yes, there it is....and the option is Try Again or Cancel

Yes, I can see it has failed - but WHY has it failed, and HOW can I get it to work? Does it offer any information on that. No. Only option is to Exit. What is the use in that? Oh ok, lets play along....Let me Try Again at something that has just failed, without doing anything differently and without being any the wiser. Of course it's going to fail again, you total moron NSU.

I'm exactly the same. Used to be a great lover of Nokia and their phones, and always used to tell everyone to buy a Nokia. Not anymore. Hope their next quarter shows an even bigger loss. Wnakers, they deserve it.

The word frustration doesn't even begin to describe my experience with this phone and it updating. FOUR months I've had this things, and it's still sh!te. A third of a year. Four months later, and they still can't get it to work properly.

If I had a Nokia representative here in front of me right now, I know exactly where I'd put that phone.

Sideways.
RM-530
E72-1

Last edited by nottmbantam; 28-10-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Old 28-10-2009, 11:39 AM

Here's a laugh...

Install Ovi Suite 2.0

Did that "Check For Updates" thing, it says Update Available for Nokia N97, cos yes, there is.

Does all that, identifies that phone is connected, as obviously it is.

Gets my hopes up. Quickly offends me yet again.

Oh,
Internal Error.
Device Could Not Be Detected.
If problem persists re-install Ovi Suite.

Um, how about making a f**king program that works?
instead of TWO that don't. NSU AND Ovi Suite don't work.
I don't want to re-install or in face install anything if Nokia have anything to do with it.
Next major phone release from any other company, i'm supporting.
I've given up on Nokia.
Can they do anything right?
At all?
Really?

No, they cannot.
Nokia used to be cool.
But that was back in 1998.
Times have changed.
They can't make a phone that works, or indeed offer programs that work either.

Last edited by MrAaronVenn; 28-10-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Old 28-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
As has already been stated elsewhere, this seems to be a problem with those of us who have changed product codes, sure someone will come up with a fix soon enough.

Old 28-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
As has already been stated elsewhere, this seems to be a problem with those of us who have changed product codes, sure someone will come up with a fix soon enough.
I take your challenge with glee.
I will change it back to its original HK product code right now and see what
happens.

Cos as you'd all know if you read my old posts, every firmware update via NSU would brick my phone.

I'd actually prefer my N97 was bricked right now, cos i could flash it with ease in JAF.

But as it stands, working, Jaf won't let me flash it.

Old 28-10-2009, 12:24 PM

heslo is on a distinguished road
I changed my HK product code to the Aus code to get the v12 firmware, now on the v20. All went smoothly however now I can't make phonecalls. I press the green call button and nothing, just sits there. Any ideas?

Old 28-10-2009, 12:31 PM

re changing product code back to its original HK

Funny that, did nothing.

So no, has nothing to do with what product code I have.
My friend above did what I did, changed it to AUS, and his worked.

It's an OVI/NSU issue with either laptops or just cos they don't know
how to make working phones/programs cos they're idiots.

Clearly, it's the latter.

If anyone out there claims they "rebranded" "flashed" "updated" their firmware using JAF,
can they please private msg me step by step exactly how you did it to a working phone.
Because not that I don't believe you...but I don't believe you.

I've flashed phones without issue in the past, but trying to flash it while its working has never worked.
Ever. There's always some problem.

Last edited by MrAaronVenn; 28-10-2009 at 12:35 PM.

Old 28-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
Ah, that's the thing. I haven't changed product codes, I bought phone sim free handset only, and bought it out here in Saudi, so it has the right product code. The first two updates worked fine to v11 then to v12, but when I really wanted and needed the newest, it fails to deliver.

Had reverted back to using my N95 a few days ago, and sorely tempted just to stick with it and flog the N97. Or throw it at a Nokia rep. Very hard.
RM-530
E72-1