All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-01-2004, 08:11 PM

sanjg2k02 is on a distinguished road
Insufficient Memory For Opera And Netfront Browsers?

I have Nokia 3650 with 128 MB MMC. I reformatted my phone today (using *#7370#) as some applications like NetFront and Opera browsers require a whole lot of free memory. When I check the phone memory available, using Tools > Manager, it shows that 3229 KB is available on my phone. However, even immediately after booting the phone, Switcher or Task Manager indicate that only 2312 KB of memory is available. This is why I am not able to run Opera at all and NetFront 3.1 shows exhausted memory after the first web page only.

All visible and hidden tasks consume memory as follows (as per the information given by Switcher):
1. EiksrvBackdr… 368 KB
2. Telephone 284 KB
3. SysAp 68 KB
4. ScreenSaver 48 KB
5. Autolock 56 KB
6. Switcher 48 KB
7. Menu 84 KB

The above-mentioned figures add up to 956 KB. So logically, I should have more than 3 MB of free memory. Against this, I have only 2312 KB of free memory (hence I cannot run Opera that requires at least 2.4 MB of free memory – more so because Menu has to be accessed to rub any browser). What can be the reason? The major processes that are shown as running (by Switcher) are as follows (there are quite a few others):

1. EKern 328 KB
2. EFile 428 KB
3. EwSrv 112 KB
4. FbServ 56 KB
5. EikSrvs 368 KB
6. C32exe 284 KB

Following third party applications (and some others) are installed on my MMC:

1. PV Player
2. Stacker
3. CamPro
4. Opera
5. Photobase
6. Photographer
7. MGS Game Station
8. Netfront
9. SeleQ
10. Df Minutes
11. Some games
12. Repligo
13. Handy reminder
14. sCrypto

I think that none of these applications starts on its own at the time of starting the phone. So what could be wrong? There is only one abnormal thing on my phone. Task Manager 1.30 could not be uninstalled successfully due to sudden switch off during removal. I have tried to use Tools > Manager repeatedly, but all in vain. A half-black cube is shown instead of full one against other applications.

PLEASE HELP. I can do with Doris Browser that apparently has no memory related issues, but I do not know how to save pages and images in Doris. Moreover, Doris 1.18 also does not support Java Script.

Sanjeev Gupta
India

Old 19-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
The memory that the Manager shows is not RAM,its storage Memory,you should've known that by now

Opera and NetFront need a lot of RAM to run but the 3650 is really short in that area.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 19-01-2004, 08:14 PM

Thanks for your reply. So according to you the difference between 3229 KB and 2312 KB is due to the ongoing processes in the background. This is what is bothering me most. If I take out my MMC and boot the phone without MMC, the Switcher or the Switcher shows a free memory of 3212 KB instead of 2312 KB. So the basic programmes in Nokia 3650 consume about 1 MB lesser RAM. This additional memory is obviously being eaten away by some programmes on MMC. I cannot locate these 'culprit' programmes. Can you plese help me in this regard? By the way, I could use Opera after I removed the MMC and installed this programme on the phone memory. Frankly, it does not appear to be worth all the trouble. Doris seems to be far better and requires very low memory. It is true that Doris does not support frames and Java. But the way Opera supports the frames, it only makes the whole picture very confusing.

Secondly, what can I do to remove the partially uninstalled Task Manager?

Sanjeev Gupta

Old 20-01-2004, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

I think that Stacker,sCrypto and DF Minutes are apps that are always running in the background so they are using up some RAM.Correct me if i'm wrong.

IMO,Opera is a lot better then Doris.

Install it all over again,and uninstall,that would be the safest solution.Deleting the leftover files by hand using a file manager is another solution.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 22-01-2004, 04:20 PM

I uninstalled these applications but all in vain. The memory space gained was very marginal (10KB only and that too may be incidental as all these application were installed on MMC). Can you locate some other heavy programmes? By the way, one can always see the hidden tasks in Switcher and none of these applications are actually running in the background.

Last edited by sanjg2k02; 22-01-2004 at 04:48 PM.

Old 22-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

You are right,Stacker uses a recognizer and startups when called.Probably the other two work the same way.

Quote:
When I check the phone memory available, using Tools > Manager, it shows that 3229 KB is available on my phone. However, even immediately after booting the phone, Switcher or Task Manager indicate that only 2312 KB of memory is available. This is why I am not able to run Opera at all and NetFront 3.1 shows exhausted memory after the first web page only.
And just one more time,to make things clear:Task Manager shows storage memory while Switcher shows RAM.

Sorry sanjg2k02,i'm out of ideas.

Old 22-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Gadget17 is on a distinguished road
Just a quick note that may help, Stacker can compact "Memory" and "Contacts".

Running as typing 48k memory released and 12.5k of Contacts released.

Well, every little helps!

Old 19-06-2006, 07:17 AM

leytenio is on a distinguished road
save images through doris

if you saw images downloaded by your doris without exiting go to your file manager and find doris.jpg and open it...the same with apps