All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-08-2003, 02:34 PM

mauru is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwitchBlade
My only thought is "Why are smartphone people so tight that they won't fork out for an app when they paid over 300 for the device?" There's loads of threads posted to the P800 forum and series 60 forums about wanting warez, if you can't be bothered to spend money for an app costing <20 why buy an expensive phone instead of a cheap 50 one?
This has been addressed, there are many apps out there that should be included since they are not just additional functionality - they are just filling the gaps that SE left out. If there are 10 such apps, each costing (a pitiful) 20 each, thats 200 quid I'm spending for something that I thought was there in the first place. That's fucking ridiculous. How can a ~400 (!) phone be missing (for example) T9.

Old 02-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauru
there are many apps out there that should be included since they are not just additional functionality - they are just filling the gaps that SE left out.
That is just your opinion though. Do you think all the owners want the exact same things? You don't actually NEED any 3'rd party apps to work the phone. Personally I love the fact that I have a "clean" phone and I can add only the things I WANT. I don't want my phone memory filled up with all the things YOU WANT.

This is normal and IMO good behaviour of PDA manufacturers. For example, if you buy a new Palm you can choose for yourself what media player etc. you want, in stead of having a cr@ppy one occupying precious storage space.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 02-08-2003, 04:45 PM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk8
the view of the videos taken with the ETI cam app is better than this one which i guess is in file list, also this progrmame takes over your defualt video player which i dont' like
Back to the topic.

ETI Camcorder?Is it already out for the p800?
lol, slight misunderstanding, prob my fault, but ummm, no it's not out, when i had it, the layout was better after taking the videos, like it was in thumbnail view, not as in the quality of the videos taken, but the way they were laid out to be selected for viewing, that was pretty nifty compared to just a boring list view without being able to view any thumbnail screeshot of the video contents

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 02-08-2003, 10:28 PM

steed is on a distinguished road
if a photo can say a 1000 words
what happens if u see a video ?

i will give no link what so ever but i will give u a nice video to look At

Old 03-08-2003, 01:19 AM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steed
i guess the solution would be...

lets say the video was captured at 15 frames per second, then you get the length of the whole video, multiply the seconds by 15, and then multiply that by 1000 to get how many words,

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 03-08-2003, 01:57 AM

steed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steed
i guess the solution would be...

lets say the video was captured at 15 frames per second, then you get the length of the whole video, multiply the seconds by 15, and then multiply that by 1000 to get how many words,
:rocol:

Old 03-08-2003, 10:10 AM

Accela is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
My only thought is "Why are smartphone people so tight that they won't fork out for an app when they paid over 300 for the device?" There's loads of threads posted to the P800 forum and series 60 forums about wanting warez, if you can't be bothered to spend money for an app costing <20 why buy an expensive phone instead of a cheap 50 one?
This has been addressed, there are many apps out there that should be included since they are not just additional functionality - they are just filling the gaps that SE left out. If there are 10 such apps, each costing (a pitiful) 20 each, thats 200 quid I'm spending for something that I thought was there in the first place. That's fucking ridiculous. How can a ~400 (!) phone be missing (for example) T9.
I would agree though, considering when a better MP3 player was released, we are unable to uninstall the default player even when we hardly uses it any longer! How "clean" does this goes?

Secondly, although not everyone wants the same things, the default package is simply not enough! That is why we have some overpriced softwares roaming our lands, which no way I am going to pay for. If we have those options ready in the CD, and install or uninstall to suit our individual tastes, I have no comments, but 1. Unable to replace certain programs, I don't need 2 programs that does the exact same thing, although the newer is fart more superior. 2. Pay high prices for applications that seem to seems more like of those ancient consoles, yar, screw those good ol' days, I ain't that old or senile to pay for such things. How smart is this? :roll:

Old 03-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accela
I would agree though, considering when a better MP3 player was released, we are unable to uninstall the default player even when we hardly uses it any longer! How "clean" does this goes?
I would also have preferred every single default application to be uninstallable, but how wise would that have been of SE? -Imagine the number of faulty units they would get in return then.. I think the default audio player, although very basic, gets the job done just fine and is well integrated into the system. There will always be better software being made, It's called progress.

Quote:
Secondly, although not everyone wants the same things, the default package is simply not enough! That is why we have some overpriced softwares roaming our lands, which no way I am going to pay for.
What the hell do you expect from a phone/PDA?! Try to be a little realistic. And yes of course, there'll always be some overpriced, badly written software out there.. -Solution: DON'T USE/BUY IT!

And installing additional software is the whole point of having an open OS, is it not?! Everyone who's used a PDA or smartphone before expects to spend some $$$ on additional software, that's the way things work, and I personally like it this way. I very much enjoy trying out new applications all the time!

Quote:
If we have those options ready in the CD, and install or uninstall to suit our individual tastes, I have no comments, but 1. Unable to replace certain programs, I don't need 2 programs that does the exact same thing, although the newer is fart more superior. 2. Pay high prices for applications that seem to seems more like of those ancient consoles, yar, screw those good ol' days, I ain't that old or senile to pay for such things. How smart is this? :roll:
When the P800 was released, practically NO applications were available(because of the new OS/UI), so how do you expect to get a bunch of free apps supplied with the phone?

And again, if you don't like the apps/prices then simply stay away from them. :roll:

UIQ is a brand new platform, and personally I think the UIQ people made a hell of a interface for their first try! I've tried Nokias Series 60 as well, which I've found to be a terrible interface compared to UIQ. Can't wait to try out the next version(UIQ 2.1).. :bday:
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 03-08-2003, 05:21 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Quote:
So you are saying you use warez because SE/Nokia aren't comprehensive enough with the phones in the first place?

Well, the fact that you do share/download warez hurts SE in what way?...not at all as far as i'm concerned.

But is does harm the people that actually go out of the way to produce the applications in the first place...the people who take time to learn and code applications to make YOUR phone better because the makers of the phone failed to add something.

You are stealing from the people that make your phone what it is.....So what happens if everyone with a P800 started to use warez and not pay for anything?.....simple...there would be no applications in the first place and you would be stuck with an essentially rubbish phone.

Old 04-08-2003, 05:49 PM

mauru is on a distinguished road
With that logic the linux world would have NO software since most of it is free.

Old 04-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
With that logic the linux world would have NO software since most of it is free.
I'm not saying hobby developers would disappear, but I wouldn't say (nor should you) you would be getting the same quality and choice you have now...far from it.

Linux does have a fairly good software base, but compare it to Win32.

At the end of the day i'm not going on a mad mission to stop everyone using warez...but it annoys me when people try to publicly convince themself that it is the right thing to do...at the end of the day it is against the law, and is stealing someone elses lively hood. It also effects the paying users of the software, as the prices of software (not just in the Symbian domain) rise to try and get back some of the losses from warez. That 20 bit of software would no doubt be loads cheaper were it not freely available from other sources. Warez has already stopped development of some titles because other programs they produced were up on warez boards within days.

If you had spent weeks/months working on something wouldn't you be pissed off if it had been stolen and given away for free just a few days after completion?

Anyway all AAS asks is that it is not distributed in any part of the site, if you use the site then all we ask is that you obey the rules.

Old 05-08-2003, 09:32 AM

URL REMOVED/IP Banned - J2theIZZO

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Old 05-08-2003, 01:34 PM

http://www.REMOVED
nyaah nyaaah

8)

Edited by Raven

Old 05-08-2003, 01:49 PM

sidneylopsides is on a distinguished road
Someone not following the rules... :-?
Alcatel Easy DB, Sony J70, Ericsson T68i, Pogo, SE P800, Motorola V70, and now SE T610!

Old 05-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Administrator

I think disabling guest posts should be looked at again. :P
Ads