All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #46  
Old 29-07-2003, 03:10 AM
Me Me is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 202
Me is on a distinguished road
Banning is okay, erasing links is okay too, even searching or reviewing PM is allright and you can always give your personal Email if you don't want an administrator reading your PM, after all if you choose to use AAS you have to accept the rules.

However, parenting, being condescending, educating and not understanding why we all want the link when I'm a 100% certain that all administrators have installed this Illegal stolen piece of software and probably given it to a couple of friends is not right. This is a Forum and we're all human so let's lighten up a little.

By the way, give yourselves a warning or two if you have installed this software and ease up a little with the good teacher act.

No warning should be given for having a signature you dislike. Many, even administrators, have signatures that are provocative and the "I can't read rules signature is actually funny"

Technically posts such as p810/900 should also be banned since the photos and the info have not been released by SE and have been made without consent. The early release of design and specs could actually hurt the developers...so as long as there are double standarts here we should at least keep a sense of humour and lay down our guns.
__________________
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

  #47  
Old 29-07-2003, 03:51 AM
brick brick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 66
brick is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, lighten up on the admin. Warez is warez, and if it has no business on this site, then the message has to be clear.
__________________
War will never decide who's right, only who's left.

  #48  
Old 29-07-2003, 05:12 AM
bigdaddychris's Avatar
bigdaddychris bigdaddychris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Makati City, Philippines
Posts: 189
bigdaddychris is on a distinguished road
well said

  #49  
Old 29-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Accela Accela is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 284
Accela is on a distinguished road
Haha.. Too late, its easily available now. Anyways, the program.. SUX! But its a start nevertheless.
__________________

  #50  
Old 29-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Raven's Avatar
Raven Raven is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,125
Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I'm a 100% certain that all administrators have installed this Illegal stolen piece of software and probably given it to a couple of friends
How on earth would you know anything at all about us, our morals/ethics??!
Personally I don't want to be a hypocrite, and in fact I really couldn't care less about a cam corder app. -That to me is a pointless gimmick, but I can of course understand that others may want this.

And as Nosferatu mentioned, many of us do actually get alot of software for free straight from the developers because of testing/reviewing/translating purposes. And we'd like to maintain the good relationship we have to the developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
No warning should be given for having a signature you dislike. Many, even administrators, have signatures that are provocative and the "I can't read rules signature is actually funny"
Will you please stop talking about things you know NOTHING about!!? F Y I that persons signature contained a link to a warez site! And was changed to: "I can't read the rules". We would of course NOT remove a signature just because we find it offensive, we do actually have some rules to go by here, we don't make up our own, GIVE US A LITTLE CREDIT FOR PETES SAKE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Technically posts such as p810/900 should also be banned since the photos and the info have not been released by SE and have been made without consent. The early release of design and specs could actually hurt the developers...so as long as there are double standarts here we should at least keep a sense of humour and lay down our guns.
Again, you keep talking out of your arse! Leaked pictures aren't considered ILLEGAL. You even have all kinds of news media printing those pictures.
__________________
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

  #51  
Old 29-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Me Me is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 202
Me is on a distinguished road
MMmmmmm, I didn't realize the Signature You where referring to was not the i can't read rules since it had been edited before I read it, so sorry for that.

As for the rest I'll only correct this, I'm 95% certain, not a 100%...Okay 90% The 810/900 thing I don't retract, even if they have been published they where not released officially. If I grabed that software and publish it it wouldn't automatically make it legal would it.

Anyway, those are examples, not court rulings, accurate or not they still make my point

L E T'S L I G H T E N U P ! ! !
__________________
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

  #52  
Old 29-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Raven's Avatar
Raven Raven is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,125
Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
The 810/900 thing I don't retract, even if they have been published they where not released officially. If I grabed that software and publish it it wouldn't automatically make it legal would it.
Do you actually not see a difference between stolen software and some bad quality spy-shots that don't actually show anything crucial???

Yes, the latest pics are of higher quality, but they still only show the external of the unit and nothing critical - which could make you wonder if SE themselves actually meant for these pictures to get "leaked", getting some early input from the users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Anyway, those are examples, not court rulings, accurate or not they still make my point
I don't think you have a point at all - other than just wanting to start an argument.. :roll:
__________________
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

  #53  
Old 29-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Jonomac Jonomac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 54
Jonomac is on a distinguished road
Not wishing to be too provocative Raven but I'd just like to ask whether posting episodes of Friends and Simpsons on this net is strictly legal?
Doesn't that count as illegal distribution, much the same as copying applications and games or swapping MP3's on Napster etc?
Sorry, have been meaning to ask this long before this conversation started...thanks
__________________
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson P910i
Sony Ericsson P800
Sony Ericsson T68i
Sony J70
Philips C12

  #54  
Old 29-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Raven's Avatar
Raven Raven is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,125
Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomac
Not wishing to be too provocative Raven but I'd just like to ask whether posting episodes of Friends and Simpsons on this net is strictly legal?
Doesn't that count as illegal distribution, much the same as copying applications and games or swapping MP3's on Napster etc?
Sorry, have been meaning to ask this long before this conversation started...thanks
Your question is fair, and your point is valid. If I'm asked by either Rafe or the movie companies behind Friends/Simpsons etc(don't remember the names right now), I will remove them immediately.

Personally I think a bit of perspective is healthy here. What harm will a small MP4 video clipp encoded in 192x144 pixels playing 10 frames per second with MONO sound do? Do you think that just because someone download a MP4 clip of Friends from my site they're not going to purchase, or watch that episode on their TV's? C'mon!

The reason we have these intellectual property and copyright laws is to protect the artists/developers etc, right? And MP3's might hurt the music industry and "cracked"/"hacked" software will hurt the developers/programmers. But I really don't see what possible harm a small "bad quality" MP4 clip could do.

Anyway, I do of course realise that it's not up to me to decide these things, and if my MP4 collection causes this kind of discussion, and that some might think I'm being a hypocrite for allowing MP4's here, perhaps I should just remove my site right away?
__________________
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

  #55  
Old 29-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Jonomac Jonomac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 54
Jonomac is on a distinguished road
I'd rather you didn't, I haven't downloaded them yet as I still haven't got 2000 or XP at work (freedownloads) or even a 128mb card ha ha ha!!!!

And I appreciate all of your arguments but if you substitute all your words "Friends and Simpsons" with the word "Camcorder App" you'll essentially get the rest of the argument from everyone else on this thread.

Quote:
What harm will a small CAMCORDER filming in whatever pixels playing 10 frames per second with NO sound do? Do you think that just because someone downloads a CAMCORDER APP from my site they're not going to purchase it? C'mon!
But I really don't see what possible harm a small "bad quality" CAMCORDER could do
Sorry for the abuse of your own text! ops:
Putting the App out there may get some valuable feedback for the developer, I don't know, but also it is of so little value as is that I don't think you're depriving anyone of any cash....

I too am not interested in the camcorder other than just to rub my mates nose in it after he was bragging that his 3650 must be better then a P800 because it had a camcorder. As soon I've found it on the net, and shown him, I'll probably delete it again..... (not much use to me)
__________________
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson P910i
Sony Ericsson P800
Sony Ericsson T68i
Sony J70
Philips C12

  #56  
Old 29-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Raven's Avatar
Raven Raven is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,125
Raven is on a distinguished road
Well, to me there's a big difference there, but I do see your point, and will discuss the MP4 thing with the other admin/mods.
__________________
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

  #57  
Old 29-07-2003, 07:23 PM
GhostDog's Avatar
GhostDog GhostDog is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Skopje,Macedonia
Posts: 6,356
GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Although its a nasty subject,i must say i agree with Raven.First off all,the camcorder posted here had full functionality,if phlilips decide to release the version as it is right now,there is nothing that will make the user buy it,he has the same thing,exactly the same,its not some pirated/cracked/warezed version that may destroy his device.

There is a big difference between leaked images or images taken without the permission of the developer and fully functional application published without the permission of the developer.I'm sure that we will be more than glad to publish pictures of the camcoreder app
__________________
www.symbiandiaries.com/ghostdog



Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

  #58  
Old 29-07-2003, 08:05 PM
chadsotelo chadsotelo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 52
chadsotelo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven

Your question is fair, and your point is valid. If I'm asked by either Rafe or the movie companies behind Friends/Simpsons etc(don't remember the names right now), I will remove them immediately.

Personally I think a bit of perspective is healthy here. What harm will a small MP4 video clipp encoded in 192x144 pixels playing 10 frames per second with MONO sound do? Do you think that just because someone download a MP4 clip of Friends from my site they're not going to purchase, or watch that episode on their TV's? C'mon!

The reason we have these intellectual property and copyright laws is to protect the artists/developers etc, right? And MP3's might hurt the music industry and "cracked"/"hacked" software will hurt the developers/programmers. But I really don't see what possible harm a small "bad quality" MP4 clip could do.

Anyway, I do of course realise that it's not up to me to decide these things, and if my MP4 collection causes this kind of discussion, and that some might think I'm being a hypocrite for allowing MP4's here, perhaps I should just remove my site right away?
Since we're being technical with the legalese, then yes, your posting of MP4s of TV episodes, even if it's a brief clip (10 seconds or so) is illegal. It's illegal in itself to distribute clips of intellectual property without the express permission of the owners. If you had actually sold these clips without they're permission, you'd be even more liable. True, what you're doing right now may not be harming them. But hey, they couldn't nail Al Capone with extortion, money laundering, murder, and what have you. How did they get him? They nailed him with mail fraud.

I'm sure that the owners of those clips, had they seen your site, would've said "hey, it's just 10 seconds, and it's just being distributed freely, it's ok." But if someone wanted to be a jerk and hound your ass and have you sued, then that can be grounds for a suit.

I'm not saying that you should shut down your site. All I'm saying is that technically speaking, what you're doing is illegal.

And yes, this is all based on current laws on intellectual property, not just those governing the United States. That's just in case anyone starts shooting off that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
Ads

  #59  
Old 29-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
I'd just like to say that I have received confirmation that this app is not for public release and never was intended to be seen at this stage.

I'd like to thank people for keeping this thread (reasonably! ) civil. Running a site and a forum like this is not always easy. The moderators do a great job. They enforce the rules. However if you do have a problem with the rules or indeed a moderator please feel free to contact me.

The Mp4 question raises an interesting point and there's now a discussion among the admins / mods over what should be AAS policy. Ultimately it is my say (and thus any critcism of any of the rules or their implementation should be directed at me) but I like to take other people's opinion into account (be it moderators or admin).

The pictures is also a good point (and something I'm going to have to consider for the future).

Part of the reason we're particualry hard on illegal software (whether warez or eraly releases) is because good relations with developers are vital to be able to provide you with a good service.

Remember we're all human!
__________________
Remember: The search command is your friend.
Feedback wanted: PM, email or post with your suggestions, complaints, feedback.

  #60  
Old 29-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Just as another information point. I changed the signature from a warez link to 'I cant read the fourm rules'.

I was a bit grumpy that night and probably over reacted... like I say we're all human sometimes.
__________________
Remember: The search command is your friend.
Feedback wanted: PM, email or post with your suggestions, complaints, feedback.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
beta, camcorder, p800, software

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy