All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-07-2003, 07:56 AM

SE P800 vs. Treo 600

Both phones have the same size and will have the same price.

P800 -> touch screen + numeric keyboard + Symbian 7
Treo 600 -> Touch screen + querty keyboard + Palm OS 5

Your opinion ?

Old 26-07-2003, 11:16 AM

Jesal is on a distinguished road
i dunno much bot treo but i like the p800 a lot so i guess that 1

Old 26-07-2003, 03:34 PM

nk8 is on a distinguished road
here's a pic of the treo 600, looks a bit disturbing

http://www.handspring.com/treo600/

www.haroboy.boltblue.com

Old 26-07-2003, 04:24 PM

sandys is on a distinguished road
I'd have to see in in the flesh but provided I like it when I see it in the flesh and the battery life is decent I could well be tempted, I went from the Treo 180g to the P800 the 180 was a great product just let down but low res B&W screen (no colour when I was looking for a combo device), poor battery life when used as a phone and it was a bit slow, oh and big, but it was brilliant even with its negatives, one of the biggest plus points for me was the Palm OS software library (lots of cheap and free software) which I don't think any other handheld OS can match, one of the apps I dropped when switching which I could really do with now is something like Quick Office, only thing is the I beleive the Treo 600 only supports 160x160 resolution but that may be ok.

Now these device are getting more powerful I like the odd game now and then and without a d pad or anything it can be difficult to play on the P800. Treo looks like it may have that licked. I also like the design, don't know if I could go without Bluetooth though, my BT car kit and link to pc is so useful.

Would depend if I was feeling flush or not too I guess 500 quid is a lot to drop on a phone every year :roll:

Old 26-07-2003, 07:32 PM

Old 27-07-2003, 05:23 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
I pretty much like it. Only a shame it has 4096 colors only (I know my P800 only has 4096 too, but if it were to replace my P800, it should be an improvement ) and it's only 160x160. No Bluetooth or Wifi integrated, but with that SD (I/O) slot you can always add that to the device yourself

The big advantage of Palm OS is off-course the loads of (free/cheap) software. I think the big disadvantage however is, that Palm OS isn't really that suitable to function as a phone. Symbian OS was built to be a phone and a PDA, Palm OS "only" to be a PDA...

Old 28-07-2003, 04:44 AM

brick is on a distinguished road
I think the P800 screen is small enough as it is. Any smaller, and the screen becomes useless as a PDA.

Old 31-07-2003, 09:24 PM

Me is on a distinguished road
I would love to play with it a little, It's smaller and less bulky, keyboard is great and Palm is great software: Docs to go, Maps and travelling e.t.c Really great SW.

Does it have a Mem card and what type?, If it supports regular memory cards that can go up to 500mg or 1 GB and has an MP3 player then It really merits a change.

Also video app e.t.c

And don't forget Palm Sync is great!

Old 01-08-2003, 05:59 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I would love to play with it a little, It's smaller and less bulky, keyboard is great and Palm is great software: Docs to go, Maps and travelling e.t.c Really great SW.

Does it have a Mem card and what type?, If it supports regular memory cards that can go up to 500mg or 1 GB and has an MP3 player then It really merits a change.

Also video app e.t.c

And don't forget Palm Sync is great!
It has an SD (I/O) card slot. Don't know about the Mp3 player though. It's not mentioned on their website, so I doubt it :-?

Old 03-08-2003, 02:49 PM

upponalle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
...has an MP3 player then It really merits a change.
You can always install Realplayer, that works very well on my Tungsten.
I actually was planning to wait for the P810 (or whatecer the name will be), but I guess once the Treo 600 is out, it is probably good bye to a Symbian phone...

Cheers,

Old 03-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
I suppose if one could live with that small a screen(-160x160), no integrated Bluetooth, no Symbian(-stability, fast, no data loss after a crash etc.), no real multitasking, slower processor, no stereo audio playback?(-not sure about that one), no removable battery!!! etc, a Treo 600 might be a good choice..

To be fair, the advantage of a Treo 600 vs. P800/P810 would be SD(IO) support, smaller size and less plasticy looking, hardware keyboard and more/better software support.

I know what my choice would be, and the deciding factor for me is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick
I think the P800 screen is small enough as it is. Any smaller, and the screen becomes useless as a PDA.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 03-08-2003, 05:48 PM

upponalle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I suppose if one could live with that small a screen(-160x160), no integrated Bluetooth, no Symbian(-stability, fast, no data loss after a crash etc.), no real multitasking, slower processor, no stereo audio playback?(-not sure about that one), no removable battery!!! etc, a Treo 600 might be a good choice..

I know what my choice would be, and the deciding factor for me is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick
I'm still not 100% sure where to go... I actually hope that Nokia eventually brings a new communicator to the market (with at least GPRS & MMS, maybe even in-built camera). I really want to check the screen size. I was used to a 9210 and now the Tungsten is 320x320. Bluetooth I have to see, multitasking is not really an issue, slower processor I don't really think so. The processor should be actually faster than most of the Symbian devices. Yes it should have stereo audio playback, but no removable battery could be something on the negative side.

I might even wait until next spring before I buy something new. I desperately wanted to get a P800, but then it took too long to come to the Swiss market and I took the Tungsten. Afterwards it seems that it was a good decision since all my colleagues that were as well eagerly waiting for the P800, but got one are disappointed with the phone (most of them had a 9210(i) before). I let some other people in our company make the "mistakes" again before I strike

Nokia's Mobile Internet Conference is in October, maybe we know more then and hopefully as well about the P810. And please SonyEricsson if there is a P810, check out what you have done with the T610

Cheers,

Old 03-08-2003, 08:36 PM

sidneylopsides is on a distinguished road
I think that the P800 looks a lot better, and i find the handwriting better than a keyboard. And that is a low res screen but it seems quite large, so it may be blocky like the nec e808, not nice to use :-?
Alcatel Easy DB, Sony J70, Ericsson T68i, Pogo, SE P800, Motorola V70, and now SE T610!
Ads