All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-05-2007, 03:05 PM

gunn is on a distinguished road
bugs on v11 FW N95

i have used n95 for 1 week with v11 firmware...
i want to share with u all that i found some strange bugs (i guess it is a bug)...

1. on profile meeting, pager, silent (even though i have customize all of the setting for these profiles, including changing the sound to the highest volume), we cannot hear the sound on multimedia screen (the screen which will be shown up after multimedia key is pressed)... but when u change to general or outdoor or making a new profile, you can hear the sound on multimedia screen... NOTE: in this testing, i change all of the profiles volume into the highest availability volume...

2. sometimes the multimedia key stop functioning... i just pressed on it, and multimedia screen won't come up... but after i restart it, it is fine again... strange..

3. sometimes i cannot change my wallpaper through GALLERY -> IMAGES AND VIDEOS (mostly i can't) ... so i have to go to TOOLS -> THEMES -> WALLPAPER and change it there...

4. my search function for music player doesn't seem to work on ALL SONG and PLAYLIST category .... but when i tried to search on ALBUM,ARTIST,GENRES,COMPOSERS category , it worked fine...
SOLUTION FOR ALLSONG category: try to search on ALL SONG by putting "3" (put 3 without the quote) in front followed by search song name....
SOLUTION FOR PLAYLIST category: try to seacrh on PLAYLIST by putting "1" (put 1 without the quote) in front followed by search playlist, then it will show MOST PLAYED TRACKS,RECENTLY PLAYED TRACKS, RECENT ADDITIONS.... but when you put "0" (put 0 without quote) in front followed by search playlist, then your playlist will shown up....

do anybody face my above problem? i am just wondering is this consider as v11 bugs? or just in my unit? I am so DISSAPOINTED with this phone which is known as KING OF SMARTPHONE....

Old 21-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Nyxmorph is on a distinguished road
for 1. - you sure its not effected by something like wether 'warning tones' are on or off and not volume. A lot of the sounds on the phone are effected by the warning tones setting on each profile I have noticed.

for 2. - search and you will find the solution to this one already, its been documented a few times, its to do with having recuring alarms set on your phone.

Old 21-05-2007, 11:40 AM

1. i have checked through all of the setting on warning tones... i have adjusted the setting on MEETING profile just like GENERAL profile... but still no sound

2. can you send me link of this problem? i want to fix this.. this is quite annoying to restart the phone...

3 & 4... have u tried this problem before?

Old 21-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Woollie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunn View Post
2. can you send me link of this problem? i want to fix this.. this is quite annoying to restart the phone
This cannot be fixed. It is a bug in the firmware that affects the multimedia key when a recurring alarm is set and goes off. The only 'fix' is to not set recurring alarms

Old 22-05-2007, 01:56 PM

floppydonkey is on a distinguished road
Still... all of your problems are not essential, there are ways around them all.... I had the media key stop working all the time before the update, I was rebooting daily.

The memory allocation fix is the biggest plus for me, only a few since the upgrade, before it was border useless for most things. (Browser being the worst.... I still get that after a few pages on eBay, anyone know a quick shortcut to clear the memory whilst browsing? I never get a "full" message with Opera, but the layout is a mess.
Ads

Old 23-05-2007, 02:27 AM

topned is on a distinguished road
Hi Gunn, with respect to point one, when u go into Profiles, it comes up with a few a list of general, silent, meeting, outdoor etc.... now if u go into one of those profiles, it should enable you to personalise or activate it. Go into personalise, where you get more options such as Ringing Tone, Ringing type, Ringing volume. Now if you increase Ringing Volume to max, but for Ringing type ...have it on silent, then no sound will be produced. Hence, u need to make sure that you choose either "Ringing" or "Ascending" ...depending on what effects you want. Now once all this is selected, and u click "OK", you can go back, then click on that profile again, and click activate.

Once that particular profile has been activated, it should take effect. Hope this helps you out. If not, you might want to return it to a nokia Service center to check or if brave, do the phone format and re install updated firmware.

Quote:
i have used n95 for 1 week with v11 firmware...
i want to share with u all that i found some strange bugs (i guess it is a bug)...

1. on profile meeting, pager, silent (even though i have customize all of the setting for these profiles, including changing the sound to the highest volume), we cannot hear the sound on multimedia screen (the screen which will be shown up after multimedia key is pressed)... but when u change to general or outdoor or making a new profile, you can hear the sound on multimedia screen... NOTE: in this testing, i change all of the profiles volume into the highest availability volume...

2. sometimes the multimedia key stop functioning... i just pressed on it, and multimedia screen won't come up... but after i restart it, it is fine again... strange..

3. sometimes i cannot change my wallpaper through GALLERY -> IMAGES AND VIDEOS (mostly i can't) ... so i have to go to TOOLS -> THEMES -> WALLPAPER and change it there...

4. my search function for music player doesn't seem to work on ALL SONG and PLAYLIST category .... but when i tried to search on ALBUM,ARTIST,GENRES,COMPOSERS category , it worked fine...
SOLUTION FOR ALLSONG category: try to search on ALL SONG by putting "3" (put 3 without the quote) in front followed by search song name....
SOLUTION FOR PLAYLIST category: try to seacrh on PLAYLIST by putting "1" (put 1 without the quote) in front followed by search playlist, then it will show MOST PLAYED TRACKS,RECENTLY PLAYED TRACKS, RECENT ADDITIONS.... but when you put "0" (put 0 without quote) in front followed by search playlist, then your playlist will shown up....

do anybody face my above problem? i am just wondering is this consider as v11 bugs? or just in my unit? I am so DISSAPOINTED with this phone which is known as KING OF SMARTPHONE....

Old 23-05-2007, 02:55 AM

Hi Floppy, when browing the web, click on the top left key (located above the green phone answer button) and it should bring up some options. Scroll down to "clear privacy data" and click on it. This will bring a submenu up ...one of which is "clear cache" and that should free up some memory space.....works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppydonkey View Post
Still... all of your problems are not essential, there are ways around them all.... I had the media key stop working all the time before the update, I was rebooting daily.

The memory allocation fix is the biggest plus for me, only a few since the upgrade, before it was border useless for most things. (Browser being the worst.... I still get that after a few pages on eBay, anyone know a quick shortcut to clear the memory whilst browsing? I never get a "full" message with Opera, but the layout is a mess.

Old 23-05-2007, 09:13 AM

N95Vietnam is on a distinguished road
to1. mine work fine when I change my profile to any
to2. it's the same with me - when i making a multi alarm - and I don't know how to fix this bug

Old 23-05-2007, 03:27 PM

- to topned -

for point 1:
i have tried to create new profile and set the:
ringing type : silent
ringing volume : lowest
vibrating alert : off
keypad tone : off
warning tone : off

but the multimedia screen still has sound when the multimedia key is pressed... strange... i have updated my phone to v11 fw...

btw, any application to install to clear the used RAM?

Old 25-05-2007, 06:02 AM

By sound, are you referring to the beep you get when pressing the buttons/keypads or do you mean when u launch a program like "music player" and get no sound ?

I did a test and in General profile with ringing type set to ""ringing" and keypad tones set to "level 1", i can hear beeps in all menu ...even the multimedia one. However once inside the multimedia menu, as u circulate between the different icons, it is silent.... i.e no sound on keypads, but launching Music Player will play with sound as per normal.

Now when tested it by going to silent profile with ringing type set to "silent" and keypad tones set to "off".... then as expected, when i click on the multimedia key, there is no beep...when i ciruclate between diff icons within multimedia media menu, there is no beeps. And if i run the Music player, there is sound/music when i play a song. I also changed the silent profile to have keypad tone set to "level 1" and it beeps when i click on button to get into Multimedia screen but will not hear anything when i am scrolling/circualting around the icons within multimedia menu.

Not sure if you are experiencing what i am but all the above seems normal to me. The only part which may not is the fact that when u circulate around the diff icons in the multimedia menu/screen, that there is no sound/beep; even when profile has been set so that keypad beeps.

Now after reading your settings, i would expect you to not hear any beeps in getting into the multimedia screen or pressing any keypad buttons. Anything different to this might entail a hardware reset (which i have not had the need to do yet, so dont know how risky etc)...best bet is to take it into a Nokia Service center and get them to fix your problem.

With respect to the RAM issues, if you find yourself wanting to free up memory, i tend to click on options > clear privacy data > clear cache .... when browsing the web. If running multiple programs, it is best to close programs that u have opened and not using by clicking on the "exit" key. You can tell what's opened by looking for a blue semicircular dial above the application/folders icon in the menu. To close, just click on that folder/application...once into application click on the "options" key and scroll to exit and click that.

Due to the limited RAM on the n95, it's not advisable to run too many programs simultaneously.

Quote:
- to topned -

for point 1:
i have tried to create new profile and set the:
ringing type : silent
ringing volume : lowest
vibrating alert : off
keypad tone : off
warning tone : off

but the multimedia screen still has sound when the multimedia key is pressed... strange... i have updated my phone to v11 fw...

btw, any application to install to clear the used RAM?