All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-09-2002, 08:49 PM

ACoolDude is on a distinguished road
Using the 7650 as a modem via the ir link

Hi,
I can connect to the PC suite fine (W98) through the IR link and after removing the tick in the Infrared connection property i can sort of connect to the 7650 as a modem. Only sort of though. The More Info diagnostics on the windows modem tab results in the system just sitting there with the wait box and if i try to connect to dial out to the internet using dial up networking the dialling box just sits there forever. The 7650 responds to an extent, the display changes from connecting to connected so something has got through.

I have not set up any data or fax facilities or GPRS, is this significant in using the phone as a modem?

Does it matter what speed the data call is set to (i saw a 14.4 and 28.8? in one of the menues somewhere).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-09-2002, 02:51 AM

OsirisMedia is on a distinguished road
Im guessing the Troubleshooting in the manual didnt have anything?

I just ask because its such a comprehensive manual and I hope to set my phone up as a modem in the near future so im intrestecd to know how you go.

Old 09-09-2002, 07:11 AM

Using the 7650 as a modem via the ir link

Well i would try the troubleshooting approach if there was one!

The manual is called a "quick guide" and only has 2 or 3 real pages in it. I presumably need the slow guide.

Its annoying that everything seems ok as far as the PC Suite is concerned but not when it is a modem.

Old 10-09-2002, 09:23 AM

This sounds like a Windows problem. You will need the RIGHT IR drivers to use it as a modem. I connect via via IR to my phone, but because the file IRBRIDG.exe or something like that is missing, I cannot use it as a modem.

I did some research and with a biy of pain you can put the files on your PC and it will work fine.... do a search on some WIN98 forums they will help.

Old 10-09-2002, 11:41 AM

ir modem

Got through to a helpful chap at orange and have now got the phone to work as a modem.

In the end I had to uninstall the Nokia modem driver and set up a generic 19.2 standard driver connected to the IR port. That works for internet connections. It still sits there forever on the "more info" part of the modem diagnostics though.

I can see now that the Nokia modem driver did appear to dial out but eventually thought the remote computer never replied, swithing to the standard driver and repeating gets through. Strange!

I suppose the next thing would be to try talking to the phone/modem through hyperterminal and see what it does with various AT commands (when i overcome my apathy).

Old 10-09-2002, 11:51 AM

OsirisMedia is on a distinguished road
nah mate the 'slow guide' would probably end up being a thesis, and you still wouldnt be able to find the right answer from all the jargon, on these crazy manuals.

But for those of you who have got the Phone setup as modem, is 28.8 the max speed it can run at?