All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 AM

esquecido is on a distinguished road
How can I confirm if I have a virus in my memory card or is it not working well ?

I have this 6600 for a year, my 256mb card since jan2005, and I've installed many softwares in it such as Opera mini 3 and 4, mig33 beta2 and v1, ebuddy, ultramp3, fexplorer, etc.
I used to have both operas open and surfed like it had two tabs (because i kept switching through the task manager). Also many times besides the browsers, i used to have either mig or ebuddy on.
So it was frequent that suddenly all those preograms froze and abruptly got terminated.
I was used to it.
On thursday morning, I believe I abused it. my opera 3 had been freezing strangely. that means that it used to freeze only and not terminate abruptly unless i rebooted the phone.
So the opera 3 had frozen, so I decided to turn on a huge amount of programs to make it overload and eventually close everything.
Unfortunately, what happened is:
Every software closed. I thought it was good.
When I clicked the menu button, it did not go.
In general display, the right button goes to the calculator. I pressed it, but it was being abruptly closed during the opening, something that didn't use to happen to the calculator.
the left button is create a new message. i clicked it, i selected text message or any else and whenever it began opening the "software", it closed abrupruptly in less than a second.
I then pressed for the task manager. suddenly, where the telephone icon comes, it came out a black space. i selected it and the phone rebooted without asking the pin or lock code.
Then I tried the task manager again, but nothinng.
I tried to phone someone, worked well. I also received calls.
When I got a missed call, I could not see who it was, whenever I got a new message, I couldn't also see who it was.
It was bad, because it kept showing "3 missed calls and 7 messages".
The screen saver and auto lock were working perfectly.
I could only call someone if I knew their number, because I had no access to the contacts either.
So today I tried to switch the sim, but the problem remained. I switched the memory card to a 32mb on and it is working perfectly.
What do you think that the problem is ?
And how to solve it to allow me to use the 256 one again ?
Thank you in advance
Ads

Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 AM

tonyn is on a distinguished road
Possibly your C drive (the built-in memory) is full.
- This would prevent applications & servers from making temporary files, and the contacts database from being properly repaired & compressed.

FExplorer should show you statistics for both the C drive & memory card.
Try deleting stuff on the C drive, old photos & especially sent & received SMS messages.

Last edited by tonyn; 07-07-2008 at 06:39 AM. Reason: clarify

Old 07-07-2008, 07:46 PM

Well, I kept ALL my images and the messages in the memory card. The softwares (like Opera and the IMs) were also all installed in the memory card.
I tried to spare the C: as much as I could.
I'm currently using the the 32MB card. What I did was transfer via computer all the 1800 messages I had from the 256 card to the 32.
I also uninstalled all the softwares I'm not going to use. I currently have only my messages, FExplorer, Opera 4 and mig33beta.
I have deleted 1200 SMSs I had in my inbox. Now I have only 200 + 400 from my folders.
The cell phone is not any quicker than before, although, not SO slow either.
I have 999 undeleted sent messages.

From FExplorer I have:
Free memory: 3420 KB
C: (5272/6139 KB) flash
D: (1399/1403 KB) ram
E: (23/30 MB) disk
Z: (0/22528 KB) rom

I'm ok with the 32 card, with less messages and only 3 softwares.
No videos, images nor any sounds.
What do you think now, from the stats and my story ?
Do you think that I should keep it like this and not go back to all that fancy world of lots of space for nothing ?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:59 PM

tonyn is on a distinguished road
The C: drive on these older phones is rather small:
E.g. C: (5272/6139 KB) flash

It easily gets filled with messages, calendars events & sometimes the contacts database can be very large when people try to put their company directory on the phone!

Hopefully the space you now have on C: allows you to view contacts & the name of callers. Does this work now?

Applications installed to the memory card should not be a problem, unless they store (lots of) files on C:.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM

Well...Like I told you before, all I did was change my 256Mb memory card to my 32 one. Now the phone works. I have all the messages saved to the memory card.
Is there a way to increase the phone memory ?