All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-11-2007, 02:56 PM

Dan_Aykroyd is on a distinguished road
Application to CLOSE another application!

HI!

I'm needing an app that, when executed, would close another app already opened / loaded in memory. Is there such thing?

This is what I want to do:

When I go biking, I'd have an autoprofile setted when connecting the A2DP headset. That autoprofile would launch the MusicPlayer app (N95). Then, when turning off the headset, the profile would be back to let's say, General, and that'll run the KILL that would put down the MusicPlayer engine... Using
"best profiles" doesn't work when set to CLOSE or KILL application

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 PM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
Well, I haven't tried using this feature in BestProfiles, but if the options to close or kill aren't working, you should contact SmartPhoneWare support. (Have you got version 1.01 installed?)

Julie

Old 08-11-2007, 08:47 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
I've just tried this in BestProfiles, and whilst something it should do, it doesn't appear to work, so I'm mailing the developer. Also, it doesn't appear to be working with regards to launching an app on profile activation either, so guess there is a bit of a problem there.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:39 AM

juwlz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsfrwll View Post
Also, it doesn't appear to be working with regards to launching an app on profile activation either, so guess there is a bit of a problem there.
I've had no problem with launching apps on profile selection (and I haven't tried closing / killing any), so maybe something else is interfering in your case?

I set myself up a new "Car" profile which changes the theme to something muted (in case of night time driving) and starts up the Podcast app. It's set up to get activated with normal priority when the phone is charging. Overnight, my scheduled Silent profile has a higher priority to override the Car profile for overnight charging ... although I have seen (and reported) a bit of a bug in the prioritisation in this area - before midnight but already on Silent, plugging the charger in switches to Car. After midnight (first scheduled profile of the new day), it works the way I'd expect.

Julie

Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 AM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
My mistake....this seems to work fine now, both launching an application on profile change and closing the application on profile change. Not sure what I did wrong yesterday, but it's working without any problems.

So, apologies, Best Profiles will do what it says it does and should meet Dan_Aykroyd's requirements.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:04 PM

Dan_Aykroyd is on a distinguished road
Well... I've contacted the developer and this is what they said (I already thought it'd work like this...):

- When you run the CLOSE command, it tries to trigger the CLOSE event in the application, to exit it normally. If the app doesn't have the quitting implemented in a standard way, it won't work.

- When you run the KILL command, it forces shutdown the application, bypassing the normal exit procedure

In any case, sometimes both works, sometime none works. It's pretty randomly behaved.

One thing I've know for sure and that they confirmed, is that none'd close the Music Player. Sad thing, because it's a pretty common, standard, embedded and used by 99.9% users application.

Why wouldn't it close? Because it has many libraries / components that are called when executed, so they "can't" be closed by BestProfiles...

Old 26-12-2007, 10:44 PM

Orpheus1120 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Aykroyd View Post

Why wouldn't it close? Because it has many libraries / components that are called when executed, so they "can't" be closed by BestProfiles...
Not true. If you use Y-Task, it will be able to kill off Music Player, although it cannot CLOSE it.

The problem lies with Best Profiles software. Music Player can be killed by 3rd party software. Try Y-Task and you will know this is true.
Ads