All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-05-2007, 09:18 PM
james_preedy

New firmware debranded Orange handset problems.

Well, I'm not sure what it is - but it's sure annoying! Since changing the product code on my Orange phone, updating to the new firmware and putting changing the product code back it seems that I'm unable to connect to orangewap or orangeinternet when the handset is connected to the 3G network - it just times out (2G is absolutely fine). Now I've tried flashing the phone a couple of time with various variants (plum & euro1 etc) and still the same. I've not put my memory card or any backup anywhere near the phone, and done soft resets on the phone each time. *Everything* else seems absolutly fine and I've had no lockups or reboots since putting the new revision on. I'm guessing I'm pretty much certain to be the only one experiencing this one, but had anyone heard of Orange locking out handsets based on product codes / firmware revisions etc? Tbh I'm not even sure if its possible and even if it was, why would it just be on the 3G data networks? Makes no sense to me ... oh and I've used setup.orange.co.uk to resend the settings, I've had tier 2 data resend me the settings and I've stuck them in myself - all no change.
Thanks in advance.
Ads

Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 PM

pcarey is on a distinguished road
I don't know why you are changing the product code back again. Just leave it in euro1 or whatever you chose. I flashed my orange n95 leaving the product code as euro1 and it works fine on all the orange services.

If you want you could check your phone connection settings with the ones that appear on the orange site. If you login to the "myaccount" bit you can either get the gprs / wap settings resent to the phone or check them manually.

Paul

Old 03-05-2007, 07:14 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_preedy View Post
Well, I'm not sure what it is - but it's sure annoying! Since changing the product code on my Orange phone, updating to the new firmware and putting changing the product code back it seems that I'm unable to connect to orangewap or orangeinternet when the handset is connected to the 3G network - it just times out (2G is absolutely fine). .
Go to TOOLS -> SETTINGS -> CONNECTIONS -> PACKET DATA

Does the access point value contain orangeinternet or is it blank?

Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 AM
james_preedy

I've got When needed, blank and Enabled in there ...

Edit - have added orangeinternet in here ... interestingly if i set it to When available, it tries to connect and never quite sustains a connection. Couple of reboots later, will see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by james_preedy; 03-05-2007 at 07:35 AM.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:41 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've got When needed, blank and Enabled in there ...

Edit - have added orangeinternet in here ... interestingly if i set it to When available, it tries to connect and never quite sustains a connection. Couple of reboots later, will see if it makes any difference.
Any luck after rebooting? orangeinternet and when needed are what's on mine and no problems.

If you still stuck, try formatting the handset internal memory with *#7370# (but be aware all contacts, calendar, connections, and apps will be wiped).

Do not restore a nokia backup file after upgrading or de-branding firmware as this can causesmany weird / intermittent problems. I wish Nokia would write a FW version/variant value in the backup file and prevent restoring to the handset if it has been flashed!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 AM
james_preedy

Yep all sorted ... turns out it didnt need anything changing ... the local 3G GPRS tower was down at *exactly* the wrong time! Cheeky monkeys, was sweating for a few days there!

Old 04-05-2007, 06:58 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
Talking hehe

Quote:
Yep all sorted ... turns out it didnt need anything changing ... the local 3G GPRS tower was down at *exactly* the wrong time! Cheeky monkeys, was sweating for a few days there!
nice one!