All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
N70/90 Unreliable GSM/GPRS/3G

I have an N90 and wondered if anyone else has the same experience as me - very often I realise that I should have received an SMS so check the phone. Without turning it off, try send an SMS. Won't send. Try to make a phone call. Won't connect. Turn off the phone and back on, expected SMS arrives and can make calls. The next day (maybe) it does the same thing. I live in a no 3G zone but sometimes it waves in and out for a few secs if the atmos. is right. Most of the time it's on GSM or GPRS when needed. This works fine. In Tools/Settings/Network/Network Settings/Network Mode I have 'Dual Mode' selected. Should I force it into GSM? Don't see why I should have to, but could this be the issue?

Tim

Old 01-05-2006, 12:45 AM

richie_s is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I think i am suffering from the same problem... Every so often my phone will not be able to make or receive calls [not sure about txts]. I am on the orange network. Sometimes if i restart the phone it resolves the issue, other times it doesnt i have to let it resolve it self... Sometimes selecting network manually works... its really annoying. I have backup up my phone, so might factoey reset it to see if it is software related... the phone is quite buggy on the orange network...

If you find out any info let me know

Old 01-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

N90 connection problem

Hello there

Glad I'm not alone! However, yours sounds much more like a network coverage issue which you should take up with Orange if turning the phone off and on again doesn't sort it. My problem is consistantly corrected by turning off and on which to my mind means it's phone/settings related. I've done a 'factory' reset, too and nothing is different. Since I posted yesterday, however, I've forced it into 'GSM only' and it hasn't happened. I think this probably answers the question, but the bigger question is whether or not this is acceptable just because of where I happen to live. I'm on Voda, incidentally. I have some more testing to do with a t-mobile SIM, and changing it back if it behaves on 'GSM only' with Voda to see if it starts again on 'dual mode'.

If anyone's interested I'll post the results.

Tim

Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 AM

richie_s is on a distinguished road
Hey again,

I dont think it is a coverage issue with orange for me, as i also have a nokia 6630, i put the sim into that and it worked fine and dandy. I did a factory reset last night [*#7370# "the use at your own risk hard reset"] and this morning my phone is fully functional , i will be keeping an eye on it the rest of the day, if your interested ill post again to let you know if things are still worknig.

Chow
Richie

Old 01-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Interested in outcome

It would be good to hear what transpires at your end. Mine's still going, deadening not happened again - and I think it would have by now based on previous days - so it must be to do with the 'Dual Mode' and living on a fringe 3G area IMHO.

Tim
Ads