All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-10-2004, 01:43 PM

Cavallino is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Problem installing software on SX1 using SDS

Hello all,

I'm trying to install the ReqWireless web viewer NetFront v3.1 on my SX1, but after it's finished the initial part "Installing 'a122694.SIS' ", I get an error box saying "Unspecified error" which is really unhelpful. The whole Symbian installer then closes.

I've tried this on two separate PCs with the same result, once over Bluetooth and once over USB.

I'm running FW12 (no 13 on the internet yet) and the latest SDS software (1.1.56.1p).

Help much appreciated!

Cheers
Richard

Old 11-10-2004, 02:48 PM

odklizec is on a distinguished road
Personally, I don't recommend you to use SDS to install the apps on your phone. The reason is very simple. Few days ago I tried to install several apps on my SX1 via SDS. All of them have to be installed on MMC, but after finishing all of the installations I realized, that only one of them (MobilLuck btw) was correctly installed on MMC. The rest of the apps were installed on C:!! I uninstalled them, sent to the phone via usb cable or infrared and then installed them directly from Inbox folder..all the installations were OK now.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:08 PM

How exactly did you send them to the phone?

SDS is an awful piece of software anyway quite honestly...

Thanks!
Richard
Ads

Old 11-10-2004, 03:30 PM

If you have notebook, then the easiest (without the need of 3rd party software) but a bit slower way is to do it via infrared. Just activate IR in your SX1 (Menu >> Settings >> Infraport). then in windows system tray you should see a new icon. Double click on it, it will show you a "Wireless Link" window, where you can select the application (on your HDD) you want to transfer to phone. Then just press Send..it will transfer the selected file(s) to your phone. After a transfer you will get a notification about an incoming message. Just go to Messages>> Inbox and install the transfered application from there.

Last edited by odklizec; 11-10-2004 at 03:33 PM.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:44 PM

Ok, now done that, thanks! But I'm out of memory when I try and open the msg. Any way I can help that without deinstalling software, or running this hack to move msgs to the E: drive?

Also how do I do it over USB - which 3rd party software do I need?

Many thanks
Richard

Old 11-10-2004, 09:18 PM

Well, another thing you may try is to use "Data Exchange Software" tool from SDS. But from some strange reason, I can't use that application on WinXP. But it works fine on Win2k? Just connect your SX1 to PC via USB data cable. Then run SDS and click on DES icon (the middle icon in SDS toolbar). This should start the DES tool, which will allow you to access the SX1 flash memory and MMC card. With this tool you should be able to upload/delete files to/from SX1 phone. Just open the folder to where you want to upload a file from your PC and then drag&drop the selected file to the folder in DES tool. In your case, just upload the NetFront sis file to "Siemens SX1\MultiMediaCard (E\Install" folder. Then go to Menu>> Extras>> File Manager >> e:\install folder. Now select the NetFront installation file and run it and select to install it on MMC card. That's all.

If the DES tool will not work for you, just let me know..there is also another way how to copy the files to the phone memory or MMC card.

BTW, the fastest and probably easier way how to copy something on MMC card is to use an MMC card reader/writer

Old 11-10-2004, 09:44 PM

Thumbs up

Worked a treat! Thanks!

Old 01-09-2005, 04:28 PM

mahmoudsx1 is on a distinguished road
oh no ,i still have problem

hi everyone,
i have a sx1 and i really hopeless to install any application on it
i have still the "unspecified error" when i try to install some applications from pc & the "installer :already in use"error or "memory low ,please delete some data"error when i try to install applications from sx1's MMC ,
so ,what can i do ,i feel down in the dump, please help me

Last edited by mahmoudsx1; 01-09-2005 at 04:30 PM.