All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-07-2008, 08:21 AM

Omroth is on a distinguished road
Surfing the net on my PC through my E90

Hey guys.

I just moved into a new flat last night and, no surprise, no broadband. I have an unlimited data account with Vodafone UK so I connected my E90 to my laptop to see if the version of PC Suite I had installed would allow me to use the net on my laptop... and lo and behond there was a nice shiny button and lo and behold I pressed it and I could surf!

Two questions, but the first much more important than the second: will this be counted as "normal" data (and thus uncharged), or are Vodafone going to use some element of my EULA and charge my 2p a kb or something?

Second: it was a bit slow (I was getting about 1kb a second)... I've heard about doubling the speed of the modem by turning off incoming calls. Oh actually, maybe I wasn't in a 3g area... that was probably it.

Anyway, any help much appreciated.

Ian

Old 26-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
This is a great backup facility for just the very situation you find yourself in. I was there too and was very pleased with my connection via the E90. I think you need to check your tariff carefully but I can you that for me, with an all-inclusive data tariff, I was not charged any extra. I was on Vodafone and had to use this facility about a year ago - as I say, a quick call to Vodafone will make you sure. On the second question, I used to get connection of around 480kbps using this method, so I'm not sure where your figures are from. I remember being very impressed with the speed taking all into account. Suggest keeping power plugged into the phone for extended use!

Tim

Old 27-07-2008, 08:24 AM

Hi Tim, cheers for the reply.

The computer says it's connected at 480, but I think it may mean the connection to the E90 rather than the net itself. I think I'm not in a 3G spot where I was trying it so was just using EDGE or GPRS or whatever it's called.

Anyway, I'll give vodafone a call.

Ian

Old 27-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
I was connected at 480 using GPRS I believe. Though I can't swear to that. (I also believe that my old 9500 connected at that speed too, before any sniff of 3G.) And the computer was clearly working at that speed.

Good luck.

Tim

Old 27-07-2008, 11:15 PM

GordonShowers is on a distinguished road
Hi Ian, your usage connected to a pc is totally included in the Vodafone internet bundle.

I do it regularly on site, when a company won't let me connect to their network.

Old 28-07-2008, 12:21 AM

unsound is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonShowers View Post
your usage connected to a pc is totally included in the Vodafone internet bundle.
Actually, Vodafone doesn't always allow it. Here in the Netherlands for instance, the contract states that you are not allowed to use your 3G connection to get your laptop on the internet... Probably because they want you to buy their Mobile Connect Card.

unSOUND owns: 9000 / 9110 / 9210i / 9300 / 9500 / E90

Old 28-07-2008, 04:33 AM

pakolainen is on a distinguished road
hi, this is a great feature, and i found myself in the same predicament some time ago, although i had no idea how to use the phone as a modem, welll i plugged it in and clicked use phone as a modem but it then asked for a dial up number. called and sent emails to my isp, whom i have also my phone contract with, no replies, so i mainly reverted to surfing via the phone itself.

how did it work.
cheers

Old 28-07-2008, 12:28 PM

Hi pakolainen.

Yeah, in the latest version of PC Suite it's just a button which says "Connect to the internet through my phone" (or something) and it works no fuss for me. Unusual for a net connection at all let alone one with a phone and a laptop involved!

Old 28-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
For UK customers, thers a FUP of 500mb. You can go over, but take the mick or do it often and they will contact you to warn about usage.

I was told by a rep that all data (including using the phone as a modem) is included in the package.

Very very often what their telephone (and email) support says differs from reality.

In any event, its on the vodafone forum that an offical rep told me and if I get charged for using it as a modem, I'll revert back to that and they wont have a leg to stand on.

Edit: Here you go:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.ph...ndpost&p=10473

Quote:
Also, can it be confirmed that if I use my phone as a modem for the laptop, this sort of data is included?
Quote:
If your phone is used as a modem, this will be included in your data allowance. Just be aware of the amount of data you're using as it's easy to get out of hand through a laptop.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 28-07-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Ads

Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 PM

confucious is on a distinguished road
If you're in Three's coverage you can get 5Gbdata stick for 7.50/month but 3G only. Might be an idea if 500Mb isn't enough.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakolainen View Post
hi, this is a great feature, and i found myself in the same predicament some time ago, although i had no idea how to use the phone as a modem, welll i plugged it in and clicked use phone as a modem but it then asked for a dial up number. called and sent emails to my isp, whom i have also my phone contract with, no replies, so i mainly reverted to surfing via the phone itself.

how did it work.
cheers
Dial up number for data is *99#

Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM

swingerman is on a distinguished road
Your operator set an "internet access point" for the data package. This used to set up on the SIM already in a connection setting and you don't have to bother. The name of this internet access point can be a web url or just a word. My provider uses "internet".

If you connet with Nokia PC Suite, it sets up your modem (phone) to use that specific access point.
You can specify it your self on your phone in case you want. Tools->Settings->Connection->Packet Data->Access point.
Whatever is set here if you connect trough pc suite it overrides it with a modem initialization string.

This setting is used, when You use your phone as a modem and it's empty by default.

Your operator won't charge you extra until this setting is correctly set to your internet access point whitch is not the same thing that an access point on your phone.

Cheers,

Old 03-08-2008, 08:42 AM

pakolainen is on a distinguished road
thanks for all the replies. broadband now up and runnning at fast speeds, and after installing opera mini on the phone, it suffices for web surfing, heaps better over the integrated web app pre installed on the phone

Old 03-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Just a pity we can't get full opera on Symbian - Beta 9.51 is really good on WinMo.