All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-04-2010, 11:57 AM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
Looks stunning, 12mp camera with proper flash!
Free guidance, hd recording, 3 homescreens. And loads more cool stuff.

But is there enough ram? how is text entry achieved? What will google have released by 3rd quarter of this year?

Lastly, price?

Old 27-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Fleksnes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
No FM Tranmsitter?

It's perhaps the most loved feature I enjoyed on the N97, surprised it's not on this new one.

From the spec:

Music Playback: FM radio, FM transmitter, MP3 player,
Supported codecs: MP3,AAC,eAAC, eAAC+,WMA,AMR-WB, DRM support,
DRM: OMA DRM 2.0

Old 27-04-2010, 01:19 PM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
my heart says -"great! fantastic, brilliant spec"

my head says - "been there before, how buggy will it be when it comes out and is 256mb RAM ever going to be enough?"

i hope my heart wins, only time will tell

Old 27-04-2010, 04:05 PM

jamessmith01 is on a distinguished road
No physical QWERTY? Well that was the only reason I was still with Nokia, so I'm not too excited about this one.

Old 27-04-2010, 04:13 PM

DriftNismo is on a distinguished road
I'll give it a go when it comes out, but there's no way I'd fall for it. Not after using the 5800XM and N97 Mini for the length of time I did. Plus I was sure it would at least have a slide out QWERTY :/. And I don't know where they think they're going to get releasing it when they are with those specs.

Old 27-04-2010, 08:15 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Underwhelming. 16 Gig on board memory, the same interface. Where are the speakers? Looks like its mono with a 640x480 OLED screen.

So over the N97, it looks like we get a 12 Megapixel camera, Xenon flash, HD recording, on LESS memory, a capacitive screen, no keyboard, HDMI interface and Wireless n, and an extra few home screens.

Does that about sum it up?

It just doesn't seem worth it IMHO.

Old 28-04-2010, 12:00 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
keep in mind that symbian^3 is an interim version before transitioning to symbian^4

screen is still at the same resolution, a shame since a larger resolution would be a lot nicer

multiple homescreens are very good, but will there be proper widget support?
- multiple email accounts
- more shortcuts

on board 16gb is enough, you can always add more with an external card, which im sure it'll support.

256mb ram, hopefully once fully loaded with 3 pages of widgets, ram usage stays at least at 150mb, that should suffice for a lot of work that can be done

c drive seems to have been raised too, to 135mb...not a lot, don't know why they can't put more in

battery life...that's going to be a tough one @ 1200mAH. the 97's already struggling with 1500mAH

at least it's speed(ier) at 680mhz...with graphics chip built in yum yum

only thing now is the release date..........too far off!

looking forward to test this one out, but somehow i think the n900 is still going to own it, especially at that timeframe, who knows, PR 2.0 will be out with even more features.

Old 28-04-2010, 09:47 AM

Fleksnes is on a distinguished road
Did you see the Nokia N8 first HD video sample?

http://vimeo.com/11266224

Now, _that_ is impressive...

Old 28-04-2010, 09:54 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
I don't care about the specifications. I want to know how well the software will perform. We won't know that till there are proper reviews done with a camera focusing in on someone actually using the phone. How will it cope with loads of pictures and music on the device? Things which bring my N97 to a crawl. Show us the phone in real world usage. Its one thing to have code which requires fast specifications to run. What you want is optimised code running on lower end hardware. Also a non removable battery?!

I think the camera and recording will be impressive. Car Zeiss stuff always has been for me. I need a stop gap phone now. I just ordered the Desire and will use that instead.

I think Nokia will be playing catchup till Symbian^4. I echo some thoughts about being promised much, but not delivering any more. Years ago I swore I would never deviate from Nokia/Symbian. Just seeing what the alternatives are now it makes it silly not to at the moment. If the N8 wows great, I'll still be waiting for my Dell Lightning with Windows Phone 7 thank you.
Ads

Old 28-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
Love the camera, 12mp is a big increase and the HD clip i've seen looks great too. The price is relatively cheap. The multiple homescreens are great, but it's just barely catching up with what we wanted a year ago. I also like the FM transmitter, so easy, but not that big a loss.

Processor is 680mhz?? That is POOR. There are tons of phones with 1ghz processors in them already. My next phone (currently have the N97) is either going to be the HTC Evo or the iPhone 4/HD and the N8 is already underpowered, add slow buggy software on top and it could be unusable!

3.5 inches & 640x480 resolution is again bottom end. The Evo clocks in at 4.3 inches and 800x480 with the new iPhone supposedly coming in at 960x640.

I like the widgets on my N97, but there are essentially none of the apps that the iPhone/Android has and with another underpowered smartphone, there wont be for another year!

Disappointing Nokia!

Old 30-04-2010, 01:30 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
The N8 seems very VERY nice but the lack of a physical QWERTY keyboard is stopping me from feeling a little envious.

Also as well, now that Nokia have officially finished Symbian^3, I'd imagine they've learnt a great deal about how to optimise the OS and minimise bugs and slowing-down. I wonder if they'll take what they've learnt and apply it to a new firmware on the N97.

(BTW I'm not suggesting they put s^3 on the N97 because that would be impossible, but kinetic scrolling was given to us from s^3 so who knows what else...)

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 30-04-2010, 06:50 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
Processor is 680mhz?? That is POOR. There are tons of phones with 1ghz processors in them already.
Speaking as someone with 25 years business I.T. experience, I can tell you the CPU Mhz specs contribute to only part of the end-user experience.

If the O/S & apps are efficient and well designed, the 25% difference between the N8 processor and the 1Ghz ones you see in Android handsets isn't such a big deal.

Last edited by dez_borders; 30-04-2010 at 06:53 PM.

Old 30-04-2010, 07:37 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Think I may have to hold out for this phone if I can get a few more screen shots of the UI, but any outdated text entry systems etc, and I won't be getting this.

I just learnt though that unlike Nokia, which actually do support video recording in MP4, Android only supports 3GP!

Bit of a rat that is.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Speaking as someone with 25 years business I.T. experience, I can tell you the CPU Mhz specs contribute to only part of the end-user experience.

If the O/S & apps are efficient and well designed, the 25% difference between the N8 processor and the 1Ghz ones you see in Android handsets isn't such a big deal.
Whilst I'm no technical expert, if I'm in a shop looking at pones,a nd see the N8 as 'only' having a 680 Mhz processor, that would me off right away - just from a 'laymans' point of view, trying to compare to other phones, it 'appears' to be underpowered?
RM-530
E72-1

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottmbantam View Post
Whilst I'm no technical expert, if I'm in a shop looking at pones,a nd see the N8 as 'only' having a 680 Mhz processor, that would me off right away - just from a 'laymans' point of view, trying to compare to other phones, it 'appears' to be underpowered?
VERY good point nottmbantam! and hardware specs naturally influence potential customers - bigger numbers on the specs looks better.

However, my point is that the end user experience may actually be better on the lower rated CPU handset. Take the iphone 3GS for example. Worldwide popularity, average spec.

I would suggest people follow your example and actually 'use' the handsets over a number of visits to various mobile retailers and compare their performance (and stability), rather than simply buying based on the raw tech spec numbers.

Keep up the good work.