All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-12-2009, 02:15 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
My GPS

Intercity Birmingham (Holloway Head) say that they have the parts in stock to make the repair, but are only open 8.30 to 5.00 and the fix is apparently a bigger "sponge".

They say it'll have to take two days through their system as it has to go through a queue, and they can't reserve the parts. A bit perturbed by that.

Unable to get through to Carphone Warehouse at the Fort.

Meanwhile, optimism abound as Crown Communications in Binley, Coventry, say that they can do the fix, correctly identified the fix as a new backplate, and said they can put the parts up for me. Fix will be 15 minutes. Again, only draw back is an 8.30 to 5.30 opening time. Fingers crossed for Friday. WHOO! Finally.

Cheers
Simon

Old 14-12-2009, 04:23 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
Good luck! Used mine for the first time in a few weeks the other day and it picked up 7 signals within 30 seconds, can't ask for much more!

Old 15-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Is that with or without A-GPS?

Old 15-12-2009, 04:47 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
With, but like i say, it locked onto the satellites in 30 seconds, the a-gps kicks in after about 7-10 seconds

Old 15-12-2009, 05:47 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyyb View Post
Good luck! Used mine for the first time in a few weeks the other day and it picked up 7 signals within 30 seconds, can't ask for much more!
It's not quantity of satellites received, but more a question of signal strength & signal qwuality that really counts.

Howerver, 7 satellites locked would be excellent. What app do you use to identify how many sats were locked-on? (I use Garmin XT's GPS Info screen)

Old 15-12-2009, 11:19 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
glad to see that everyone is finally getting this issue solved

its beena while but at least they are getting there

i gave up and moved to the omnia hd in the end , miss my 32gb and fm transmitter but thats it really great phone is the omnia hd

hope they are finally shipping working n97s now

peace :-)
Ads

Old 18-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Due to get my back cover changed today. But gah, just tried the GPS, internal gps, no good.

With assisted GPS, Im now getting lock on very quickly, seven satellites (according to Google Maps), and Nokia is reporting accuracy to within 30 metres and rising!

And that's with cloud cover!

WTH is happening? It's supposed to be faulty geddamnit

Old 18-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Driving down with A-GPS and Integrated GPS, the phone started off quite nice, then starting bouncing off all the way down the right "route recalculation" as it thought I was on a side road.

15m, backplate changed, drive back, solid as a rock, a couple of drops in the first minute, but no drop outs since, and the speed indicator was steady and never faltered.

But question, what was the fixes for everyone else?

I've had a new backplate fitted which comes with a new lens cover, but another repair centre told me about a "sponge".

What are the (genuine) fixes other people have had?

Cheers
Simon

Old 19-12-2009, 02:20 AM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
there is the new backplate as you have mentioned but i would think they have fitted the sponge as well

the sponge is to stop interference from the main board interfering with the gps signal which is quite sensitive

all phones have this sponge , well are supposed to , however the n97 seemed not to have in early batches from users that have dismantled their n97s looking for a fix

main thing is it works

the new backplate and sponge i would have thought would have been fitted together

hopefully problem solved mate :-)

Old 19-12-2009, 12:02 PM

While the new backplate has improved the stability of the device and gets me a lock even without Assisted GPS within 30 seconds, the accuracy is still way off, anywhere between 150 and 300 feet yesterday.

I'll phone the centre up on Monday and ask whether they fitted a sponge, because by the sounds of it, it was just a new backplate.

Cya
Simon

Old 20-12-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
While the new backplate has improved the stability of the device and gets me a lock even without Assisted GPS within 30 seconds, the accuracy is still way off, anywhere between 150 and 300 feet yesterday.

I'll phone the centre up on Monday and ask whether they fitted a sponge, because by the sounds of it, it was just a new backplate.
I agree with buzxx777, my experience was that fitting the sponge is the repair which improves signal quality and strength drastically and reduces electronic interference.
If the shop only changed the backplate, they only did half the job. As the sponge is free under warranty, I would go back and ask about it.

Old 22-12-2009, 01:12 PM

volvo940se is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if the bluetooth chip is also in the backplate that gets changed, as my bluetooth only works for the headset now, and nothing else, it is gradualy getting worse. Will ring up and get mine repaired before Xmas if I can.

Old 22-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Is this sponge a specific part, or can it be cobbled together from some of that foam tape adhesive kind of stuff? Had an ominous conversation with the engineer who said that its basically just some adhesive that sits over the camera cover.

It sounded like it wasn't a specific part, but a bit of a hodge podge fix.

What are other peoples experiences, because I need to ensure I get the right fix!

If after this the GPS still don't work, I might see if I can get my money back. Trouble is if the sale of goods act applies in this situation, I think the retailer is entitled to knock a proportion of the cost off the phone due to the length of use, which is really rubbish because the phone hasn't given me what I wanted in the first place, but I held out for a fix, and if that fix doesn't resolve it, I should be entitled to get my moolah back.

Cya
Simon

Old 22-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
Is this sponge a specific part, or can it be cobbled together from some of that foam tape adhesive kind of stuff?
If after this the GPS still don't work, I might see if I can get my money back.
I imagine the sponge is coated with some kind of anti-static, non conductive, rf-blocking material and not just something you could buy in Boots the Chemist?
On your other question... WHY would GPS not work after the repair? GPS seems to work brilliantly for pretty much all AAS members after their N97's were repaired.
However, if you think GPs is still not 100% after the sponge is fitted, take it back to the NCC or send Freepost to Nokia, so they can diagnose additional repair actions.

Last edited by dez_borders; 22-12-2009 at 07:11 PM.

Old 23-12-2009, 09:34 AM

greigster is on a distinguished road
I am awaiting the parts to come in to Comm Tech near Gt. Yarmouth to fix the gps but when I phoned to ask about the sponge, the technician didn't know anything about it, so do Nokia automatically send the sponge when they send out the replacement back/camera lens or should the technician have ordered it at the same time?

Greigster