All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-08-2005, 07:03 AM

virtualsom is on a distinguished road
Exclamation IRDA problem - PLEASE USE THIS THREAD ONLY

OK - Sendo Smartphones is going to try tracking down this problem in a different way. For that reason, we'd like you to fill in this form on our website.

We're collecting IMEI and SPN numbers in order to try to work out if this problem is in any way hardware related. The network and original firmware versions of your phone are so we can track if any particular network's firmware originally had this problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unable to use the IRDA connection. the red led on the phone does not glow when IR is activated.

Currently I have 1.198.8.2 ( expansys ver ).

As stuclark suggested on another thread, i followed the instruction by downgraded the ver to 1.98.5.2 ( 60 - vodaphone) and later upgraded it to 1.98.8.2 (Expansys). Even did the format / reformat .

i am having this phone for 3 months now. Only once my PC was able to detect the IR as a modem ( when the phone was new ) before i upgraded the version to 1.98.5.2 ( 60 ) and newer firmware.

Please let me know if there is way i can resolve this issue .

thanks

Last edited by stuclark; 11-08-2005 at 09:46 PM.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 AM

plinkykev is on a distinguished road
Question Let's work through this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualsom
Unable to use the IRDA connection. the red led on the phone does not glow when IR is activated.

Currently I have 1.198.8.2 ( expansys ver ).

As stuclark suggested on another thread, i followed the instruction by downgraded the ver to 1.98.5.2 ( 60 - vodaphone) and later upgraded it to 1.98.8.2 (Expansys). Even did the format / reformat .

i am having this phone for 3 months now. Only once my PC was able to detect the IR as a modem ( when the phone was new ) before i upgraded the version to 1.98.5.2 ( 60 ) and newer firmware.

Please let me know if there is way i can resolve this issue .

thanks
OK few things here:

The IR light WILL NOT glow when in use. IR is invisible to the human eye. You CAN see if it is active with a CCD camera, such as on a Sony Camcorder or (maybe) another camera phone. Those people on the forum who CAN see the light have a hardware fault with the IR lamps, I think.

You need to try this:
a) First (IMPORTANT) Backup the phone (to PC and Memory card - MMC/SD)
b) Put on 60 firmware. CLEAR the Memory. Try IR - does it work OK?
c) Put on 78 firmware. CLEAR the memory
d) Try IR (DO NOT RESTORE data) - does it work OK?
e) Restore your data. Try IR again - does it work OK?

If (b) is OK, but (d + e) is not, then there is a problem with 78.
If (b + d) is OK, but not (e), then there is flag in the system data that is de-activating IR. I have seen this on some development phones, where data was taken from an X2 (which has no IR) and put onto an X (which does). The flag from X2 was disabling the IR on X. Now, I am assuming there is no way you have got an X2 data file (!) so it may be that a flag is in the firmware somehow (X and X2 firmware is built in same way).

Please check / try these things, so we can see what to do next.

Regards,

pk

Last edited by plinkykev; 09-08-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:14 PM

Mordred 660 is on a distinguished road
thanks for the post Kev - this should be a sitcky if it gets resolution (Stu).

Last edited by Mordred 660; 10-08-2005 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:32 PM

venkat_t3 is on a distinguished road
hi ,

even i have some problem with ir with previos firmware ,it was working fine untill i dropped it once , now when i activate ir its getting activated but my system not detecting it anything i can do ??

Old 09-08-2005, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkat_t3
hi ,

even i have some problem with ir with previos firmware ,it was working fine untill i dropped it once , now when i activate ir its getting activated but my system not detecting it anything i can do ??
perhaps follow the disassembly guide posted over at sendosmartphones.com and ensure that everything is in its place - certainly you are not implying that a firmware upgrade is the problem vice dropping it...

Last edited by Mordred 660; 09-08-2005 at 09:23 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:29 AM

thanks a lot for answering back and for the instructions plinkykev. I will try this and let you know the results.

as for checking the IR , I use an IR detector to check IR functionality.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:13 PM
ads

Question irda trouble also... BUT...

i've got the last version of software (x1.198.8.2 french version w/o gprs troublewho worked perfectly for a while with gprs , irda, on sfr provider in france--- waouw, what a beautiful piece of hardware and software I love when it work normally! thanks to those sendo's guy)

As said, irda had worked with this system, but after some days, (obviously, without dropping the phone!) it don't work any more.

what i'd tried:
the sd card removed / erasing the phone (key 5 pressed during startup)/install previous version of the system 98.5.2)/ key 5 restart again, again and again... ---still not working

reload newer system, after a series of key 5.... not working

BUT, what surprises me is that from time to time, the logo ifrd appeared in the windows xp right bottom part of menu bar of my pc....

then, after reloading the sd card i've tried to launch also "fexplorer" to send a file through the irda ...

THEN this order "switch" on the pc irda micro logo instantaneously... until a phone message that indicate the transfer didn't work....quasi a mn after

I've tried the same on different pc. one with xp the other with w2k... both previously working with ifr d and my sendox with last softare : same thing...

for me it looks like the irda is working on a hardware point of view, but like it miss some software pieces... or might be a kind of "understandable ifr language pb"... to send the appropriate information to be understood by the receiver

any idea?

thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:37 PM

Hello PK ,

I followed the instructions as you suggested. after backing up the phone ,

1 . i put the 60 firmware, formated the phone ... checked IR , IR did not work

2. Put the 78 firmware , formated the phone .. checked the IR , IR did not work

3. restored data from memory card and checked the IR .. IR did not work.

Please advice on further action

thanks & regards

Last edited by virtualsom; 11-08-2005 at 01:47 PM.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
OK - Sendo Smartphones is going to try tracking down this problem in a different way. For that reason, we'd like you to fill in this form on our website.

We're collecting IMEI and SPN numbers in order to try to work out if this problem is in any way hardware related. The network and original firmware versions of your phone are so we can track if any particular network's firmware originally had this problem.

Last edited by stuclark; 11-08-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Old 14-08-2005, 10:02 AM

mart_is_good is on a distinguished road
I used to have this problem, but I left my phone at home while I was on holiday for two weeks and now the problem has gone away.

So it sat in a drawer with no battery in for two weeks and that solved the problem. Two weeks is a long time so maybe if you leave it with no battery in for a couple of days the problem will go away....

Old 15-08-2005, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart_is_good
I used to have this problem, but I left my phone at home while I was on holiday for two weeks and now the problem has gone away.

So it sat in a drawer with no battery in for two weeks and that solved the problem. Two weeks is a long time so maybe if you leave it with no battery in for a couple of days the problem will go away....
mart - could you post up here http://www.sendosmartphones.com/inde...pic=53.new#new and maybe explain a little about what was happening and your fix? trying to get a solution for all concerened on this one as it is very odd and does not appear in every handset. thanks.

Old 17-08-2005, 12:16 AM

mart_is_good is on a distinguished road
I was very happy when it disappeared. But yesterday I heard the low battery noise. I looked in the IR window and it was lit again. The fix worked for about a day!

Maybe it is an app we all have installed coz before I went on holiday I used 5 to format the phone and since instlling my apps it has come back.

I have the following non Sendo software installed at the moment:

FExplorer 1.13
OggPlay 1.0.6
Oggplay Recogniser
Lemonade Tycoon

Old 17-08-2005, 12:22 PM

trimakassi is on a distinguished road
I have the same software installed except for Lemonade Tycoon and I never experienced the IR-problem

Old 17-08-2005, 11:34 PM

hexed2004 is on a distinguished road
I was beginning to think the same thing. I posted a while back that I'd got things working by opening up the phone. Unfortunately it was only temporary. I've tried various different firmware versions and reformatting too - the odd time it appears to fix it for a while, but then later it comes back on.

I actually had some software issues as follows:
- MP3 player wouldn't work
- Camcorder wouldn't work
- Couldn't send txt messages
- Memory card not properly recognised
(The applications would just close straight away)

I then thought that maybe it was an issue with software, so I've started installing only 1 app at a time and I reformatted the mem card - one thing - for laziness I'd been restoring my settings when doing a restore. I don't do this anymore, just in case there's something that wasn't right with the previous settings...it's better to just restore the contacts and messages and work from there I think...

Here's were I stand at the minute:
- Profimail 2.3
- FExplorer 1.13
- TaskSpy 0.92

And all apps are working. IR light is still on though, so I'm thinking that the crashes I was having are related to an application I was running...

Last edited by hexed2004; 17-08-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:09 PM

kiran_dhotre is on a distinguished road
Does Any Body Really Has A Solution

DOES ANY BODY REALLY HAS A SOLUTION FOR THIS IRDA PROBLEM...

I am really facing many difficulties...

What are the Sendo Manufacturers Doing about it...

Please if any body comes to know how to solve it please let me know...