All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Nokia N8 arrived

Just received my Nokia N8.

As you can see from screenies, I'm just charging it up.

First impressions... I like the form factor. Feels nice and solid to hold. Camera (12MP) looks a big beastie.

It has a thin elongated USB port (strange) under one of those flimsy plastic flaps at the top as well as a Micro USB on the left hand side and also a 2nd "pin" charger , a la N95, at the bottom.

Has 3 home screens that I can see.

C: Phone memory... Free 182.2MB
E: Mass memory... Free 13.7 GB
F: Memory card... not installed yet

Threaded SMS Conversations.
More later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nokia N8 (1).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	4922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nokia N8 (2).jpg
Views:	206
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	4923  

Last edited by ironass; 05-10-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: update

Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
It has a thin elongated USB port (strange) under one of those flimsy plastic flaps at the top
HDMI, not USB. It is also written on the flimsy plastic.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Like I said... Only had it a few minutes.

You're quite right, it does say HDMI.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:05 AM

spirit44 is on a distinguished road
when did you preorder it mate?

i'm tired of waiting for this phone! i really should have paid for the express delivery, lol

Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Greater faith than I

Enjoy your new phone it's a lovely looking little beastie.

Look forward to hearing how it goes for you - like S^1 but quite a bit better I guess.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
like S^1 but quite a bit better I guess.
Marginally better, I'd say, not "quite a bit better".

Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 PM

First impressions

These are my first impressions having only used it for a couple of hours and with nothing loaded.

Pro's

Amazing sound system on loudspeakers. Dolby 5.1. The best of any phone I've owned.

Good video playback of the built-in "Tron" movie clips.

Camera is very good.

Comes with Ovi Maps (I do miss Ovi Maps) but only v3.04.

Multi-touch (pinch & zoom) works well.

Good, solid, sturdy, build.

Con's

Touch is not as responsive as I would like (2 or 3 taps required sometimes).
I could have been too hasty here. This could be due to the screen cover still being in place.

Redraw problems. Screen seems to freeze temporarily. Sluggish scrolling.

Browser is sooo slow. To load the Nokia Support page from Bookmarks took 34.7 sec's on WiFi. Compare this to 17.4 sec's on the Nexus One.

UI looks like the same tired N97 UI. It cries out for SPB Shell to come as pre installed IMHO. Not available for the N8 in Ovi Store though.

My initial impression is one of de ja vue as this phone seems to be a repeat of the N97 in that I do not believe the firmware is "mature" and is going to require some updates and I cannot see the advantages of Symbian ^3 in use.

Some weeks ago I lost my N97 and had to claim through insurance. Of course, the insurers could not offer me a replacement N97 and out of the selection of phones I was given I plumped for something completely different... the HTC Nexus One on Android 2.2 FroYo.
I have to say that on responsiveness the Nexus wins "hands down". Also it has a much faster browser.

I'm sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade but I can only speak as I find.

I really don't think that this is going to save Nokia's bacon or can be called an iPhone killer.

Last edited by ironass; 05-10-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:43 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
I know this is going to sound really naive but with reference to the un responsive screen and screensaver does this mean a purchased screensaver is a complete no go with a capacitive screen like the N8? _ - I have never owned one so have not ever thought about it until mentioned in above post.

Thanks

Boothy

Old 05-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
These are my first impressions having only used it for a couple of hours and with nothing loaded.

<snip>

Con's

Touch is not as responsive as I would like (2 or 3 taps required sometimes).
I could have been too hasty here. This could be due to the screen cover still being in place.

Redraw problems. Screen seems to freeze temporarily. Sluggish scrolling.

Browser is sooo slow. To load the Nokia Support page from Bookmarks took 34.7 sec's on WiFi. Compare this to 17.4 sec's on the Nexus One.

UI looks like the same tired N97 UI. It cries out for SPB Shell to come as pre installed IMHO. Not available for the N8 in Ovi Store though.

My initial impression is one of de ja vue as this phone seems to be a repeat of the N97 in that I do not believe the firmware is "mature" and is going to require some updates and I cannot see the advantages of Symbian ^3 in use.

<snip>

I'm sorry if I'm raining on anyone's parade but I can only speak as I find.
Actually, this is the type of information I am interested in. I have an N97 and would like to know if the N8 fixes some of the N97's shortcomings. It doesn't look like the N8's responsiveness is a great improvement over the N97. This is quite disappointing.

It did take me a month to get my N97 to a point where it is stable, if a little sluggish. It took me this long as this was my first experience using a smartphone. I would be interested to know if the next firmware upgrade helps improve the responsiveness of the N8.

Quote:
I really don't think that this is going to save Nokia's bacon or can be called an iPhone killer.
I'm not really looking for Nokia to come up with an iPhone killer. I want Nokia to come up with an N97 killer. From your initial impressions, the stigma of the N97 is still alive and well and continues to haunt Nokia.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM

abound is on a distinguished road
Sooo jealous ironass !!
A few questions for you if thats ok ?

1)Did you get an email when your N8 was dispatched?

2)I'm guessin you ordered from Nokia so when did you order it?

3)Do you know if it makes a difference to when you get it if you ordered a contract rather than Sim-free?

I pre-ordered mine start of September and have phoned them a few times, a few days ago they said the UK should be receiving theirs mid October!

Cheers

Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the update Ian, interested to see how the N8 performs in 'real life' as not all the reviews on various web sites can be trusted. I'm not planning on getting the N8 but am interested in the E7 which is supposed to running the same OS. I must say that worryingly, the early indications are that Symbian ^3 isn't gonna be pulling up trees...

Good luck with it though, hope all goes well. Will stick with the E72 for now.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothy View Post
I know this is going to sound really naive but with reference to the un responsive screen and screensaver does this mean a purchased screensaver is a complete no go with a capacitive screen like the N8? _ - I have never owned one so have not ever thought about it until mentioned in above post.

Thanks

Boothy
I was referring to the plastic screen cover that comes with new phones.

Having said that, there is not a lot of difference in response with it removed. Certainly better than the N97 screen.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abound View Post
Sooo jealous ironass !!
A few questions for you if thats ok ?

1)Did you get an email when your N8 was dispatched?

2)I'm guessin you ordered from Nokia so when did you order it?

3)Do you know if it makes a difference to when you get it if you ordered a contract rather than Sim-free?

I pre-ordered mine start of September and have phoned them a few times, a few days ago they said the UK should be receiving theirs mid October!

Cheers
Can't help you I'm afraid as my N8 is a test/review handset.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:29 AM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
Ian, I am interested to know how is the N8 compared to N97 in terms of usage, speed and smoothness (as you have used N97 for a while before).

In N97 it was possible to add two rows of shortcuts for application in the home screen. For the N8 is it possible to add more than this in each screen.

Can applications like Y Browser or SPB Shell work in N8, if you have tried.

Thank you for your reponses.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeet View Post
Ian, I am interested to know how is the N8 compared to N97 in terms of usage, speed and smoothness (as you have used N97 for a while before).

In N97 it was possible to add two rows of shortcuts for application in the home screen. For the N8 is it possible to add more than this in each screen.

Can applications like Y Browser or SPB Shell work in N8, if you have tried.

Thank you for your reponses.
The N8 is certainly smoother and faster than the N97. I would expect this with the larger CPU and RAM. Bear in mind that I am still running it with no add-on's as yet.

I can confirm two rows (of 4) shortcuts are available as in the N97 and are configurable.
Update... you can have as many rows of shortcuts as you like on all 3 home screens.

As I mentioned, I have no add-on's yet. I did browse the Ovi Store for SPB Shell but it doesn't seem available for the N8/symbian^3 platform.

Last edited by ironass; 06-10-2010 at 06:58 AM.