All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-09-2010, 07:35 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
E7, anyone?

finally, a very worthy upgrade to the trusty n97. very lustworthy too. i'm thinking of upgrading to this when it comes out.

what of you?

Old 15-09-2010, 07:44 AM

ashg77 is on a distinguished road
No MicroSD slot - No Deal

When I first saw this phone i was sold.

Looks like a perfect form factor. Same hinge mechanism as my N97 but then I realised its missing 2 things that my N97 offers me and that I actually use quite frequently:

* FM Transmitter (I could make do without this)
* MicroSD card slot - This one i can't do without as I do sometimes like to load a card up with movies so I can watch them on long journeys. You could probably use USB OTG to replicate this functionality but its not the same (even though I think that USB OTC is a really cool feature!)

The other downside to an otherwise really cool phone is the lowish resolution by Q3 2010 standards. This is made worse by the increased screen size.

So its probably going to be the HTC Desire Z for me (aka TMobile G2), which should be announced in Europe today.

Old 15-09-2010, 08:40 AM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
I am looking at the E7. The downside is lower mass memory and lack of a memory card slot. I will just wait.

Old 15-09-2010, 09:12 AM

ving is on a distinguished road
The Nokia E7 looks really good, I especially like the tilting touch screen. I bet it will be really expensive when it comes out too. I better start saving I guess

Old 15-09-2010, 11:12 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Ditto, I loved the form factor from the early pics, and if I was going to go back to touch screen phones, this is the one I would go for, will be skipping the N8.

However, I didn't realise it didn't have an SD slot, but was pretty certain it DID have a FM Transmitter?

Will stick with the E72, which so far, is going really well.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 15-09-2010, 12:14 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile E7 - No Successor of E90

The E7 - successor of E75 , 71 , 72 , 73 ? Then an E9 must be in the pipeline - is lacking a microSD slot , but it has USB on the go . A cardreader can be inserted to coop . Since it has touchscreen , shortcut keys to applications can be set the homescreens .
No dedicated keys for numbers . Mediocre screen resolution . No D-Pad . Battery : mediocre capacity and no removal . RDS FM Radio
. No FM transmitter .

Regards jApi NL

Old 15-09-2010, 12:21 PM

boothy is on a distinguished road
I am a little concerned about size and weight - it looks huge in hand held shots - also I think the N97 feels heavy at 150g - the E7 is 176g.

I find a physical keyboard useful but find the cranked `clamshell` arrangement of the N97 awkward to use in most standing\mobile situations -great at a desk (if I am at a desk I have usually got something larger to type with) but I would find personally a keyboard slider similar to N900 more useful.

I do not have a problem with a virtual keyboard if it is appropriately responsive and reasonably well calibrated - its one less component to go wrong if the virtual one works well - this obviously depends on usage for the ammount of text I require I would think it was more than adequate.

With the larger screen I would be concerned about battery usage also.

I also under use the camera in my N97 and may be encouraged to use on a day to day basis with a larger sensor \pixel size and ease of removing sd card and therefore in the short term willing to give the N8 a go.Generally I automatically go for my cannon comapact from bag as it is so much easier to remove card and transfer files.I have wireless tranfer on my phone but its still another job to set up - (I suppose its only taking the back of phone - I am probably making that out to be too big a deal)

I also find I am using my N97 more and more for long periods of time as a ebook reader and therefore weight and ergonomics are quite important(this is also going to be a balance between size of device and screen size)

I think I will therefore in the short term go for the N8 and look to see how the alleged N9(and meego apps) will develop.

Boothy

Last edited by boothy; 15-09-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Ads

Old 15-09-2010, 03:06 PM

jerm is on a distinguished road
i too can live without the fm transmitter. 16gb is reasonable space for me. converted movies to run on the phone tend to be less than 500mb per movie from what i've experienced

8mp with dual led is no 12mp carl zeiss with xenons, but i think it can make do. i carry my dslr with me and make do with what i can if i don't have it

screen resolution, i would think is for backward compatibility with the older 5th edition software that it can run. i wouldn't want to run an upsized/scaled application and see it pixelated. it's a gripe, but i think its something that can be overlooked once i get my grubby hands on it to test, when it reaches these shores

Old 15-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I too am interested in upgrading my N97 to the E7. The weight of the phone is not an issue with me. The bigger screen is nice. I think I can live with the same resolution. I saw some videos and it appears to be more responsive than the N97 (but then, just about everything else is). Most likely it'll be next spring before it will be available in Canada.

Old 16-09-2010, 09:05 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
Beer Don't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashg77 View Post
When I first saw this phone i was sold.

Looks like a perfect form factor. Same hinge mechanism as my N97 but then I realised its missing 2 things that my N97 offers me and that I actually use quite frequently:

* FM Transmitter (I could make do without this)
* MicroSD card slot - This one i can't do without as I do sometimes like to load a card up with movies so I can watch them on long journeys. You could probably use USB OTG to replicate this functionality but its not the same (even though I think that USB OTC is a really cool feature!)

The other downside to an otherwise really cool phone is the lowish resolution by Q3 2010 standards. This is made worse by the increased screen size.

So its probably going to be the HTC Desire Z for me (aka TMobile G2), which should be announced in Europe today.
Just a reminder this thing has USB hosting .. so you can attach a thumb drive - there are really tiny ones available .. that ought to solve your storage problems.

Perhaps not such a deal-breaker ??

Old 17-09-2010, 01:34 AM

de_construct is on a distinguished road
Me likey!

Seriously looking at the E7. USB OTG is a masterstroke. It's better looking than practically all the Android QWERTY phones IMHO, andat 640x360, the pixel count exceeds the original iPhone's 320x240. Only worries are the battery wearing out, and maybe Symbian^3 lagging behind iOS and Android for apps. However, I am sure Symbian^4/Meego N9 envy will be an even more powerful force than either!

Old 18-09-2010, 02:08 PM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by de_construct View Post
Seriously looking at the E7. USB OTG is a masterstroke.
It is surprising that adapter cable for the USB OTG and HDMI is not included in the sales package unlike the N8. Buying the adapter cables separately will push the ownership cost of the E7. So I am not looking at the E7 as a possible replacment for my trusty N97, albeit the low RAM and phone memory. Wish there was someway to increase these.
Nokia is still no trying hard enough to win customers/users.

Old 18-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm View Post
8mp with dual led is no 12mp carl zeiss with xenons, but i think it can make do. i carry my dslr with me and make do with what i can if i don't have it
A proper xenon flash would be nice but as far as I'm concerned anything above 5mp is fine for a phone - the sensors are so tiny that you just end up with horrible noise at anything much bigger than that. The N97s camera has been a massive disappointment for me, I just hope they've improved on the actual image quality (sensor, optics & software) rather than just adding on megapixels and flashes.

As much as I love the look and spec of the E7 I just can't help feeling the software will be the same let down that we're used to, and like someone mentioned there's already S^4/MeeGo on the horizon so soon all S^3 phones will be in the same place as our S60 v5 phones where no one develops for them due to it soon becoming obsolete.

Personally I just think Nokia need to sort out their OS issue, either start using Android or pull out of the high end smartphone market until S^4 and/or MeeGo are mature enough to put on a handset and then really push that as their new long term OS - at the minute I can't get excited about a new Nokia phone because S^3 just seems like a half step between what we have now and where Symbian really should be.

Old 18-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Fleksnes is on a distinguished road
I'm not buying anything Symbian, Android, iOS or anything else, until I see what comes out from Nokia with MeeGo. Actually, I don't have a rush to switch to anything from my N97, which works perfectly well as it is (running SPD Shell).
A lot of my friends/ colleagues have a HTC Desire/Hero or Galaxy, and there is nothing their phones can do better than my N97. The audio stinks, the photos they produce must be the joke of the year, and the apps I run on a daily basis is at least as good as the Android-versions.

Old 19-09-2010, 07:20 PM

p51 is on a distinguished road
Just been looking at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXYMU...ext=1&index=73

Its such a shame that the Micro SD slot shown at 2 min 15sec on the video did not make it to the E7!

I am also wondering about the EDoF camera. I take close up (Macro) shots with my N97 and previous Nokia's of imperfections in products whilst at work. I would hate to loose this function, the lack of Xenon flash doesn't matter to me, but the lack of lens cover does.

The missing FM transmitter is also annoying.

It still seems the best N97 replacement but it keeps niggling at me....