All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionman View Post
Hi Rafe,

I took delivery of an N95 and I have two questions;
I fully charged the phone but it died afer only 3 hours, is something running in the background that eats battery life?
I also recieved two memory cards, one small one that fits into the side of the phone and one larger (SD type) card that doesn't seem to fit anywhere - any idea what it's for?

Unionman
No 3 hours is definitely not normal. If you had the GPS running the whole time with the backlight on that might explain it (the GPS and WiFi when in use a lot of power), also it could be something you installed. Bit difficult to say. Note that the GPS will be running if you have maps open (and its therefore a good idea to exit maps if you are not using it in contrast to other program which you should consider leaving open (switch away using the S60 key) to get the benefits of multi tasking).

The larger card is an adaptor for the smaller one so you can use them in standard SD card slots (e.g. a USB reader). The little one fits inside the small one.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:01 PM

jason3416 is on a distinguished road
Yes, got my N95 Monday....I'm in the US...and it does work on cingular because all I did was swap my sim card...camera is nice in my opinion...still need to get a media package to test all the internet stuff out, but wiFi works great. I'm still trying to figure out how to make my text messaging to work and how to put on word and excel documents on here; where I can actually edit them. Anyone have a great forum or place to download upgrade software please let me know.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Rchetcuti is on a distinguished road
Question AGPS (Assisted GPS) in N95

Does the Nokia N95 support AGPS? If this is not supported can software updates make AGPS possible?

One more question - How accurate is the internal GPS of the N95? 10, 30m, 50m?

Old 06-04-2007, 01:59 AM

docc is on a distinguished road
Rafe,

I paired my new N95 with the SE HBH-DS 970 and everything works as advertised except that the headset display does not show the name of the caller (just the number). This was a known problem with Windows Mobile devices but i wasn't aware that even Nokia's are plagued by this problem.

Everything else works exceptionally well, that is the AVRCP profile is simply fantastic and i'm able to play/plause skip tracks etc without any problems. Any idea as to what the problem is?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:48 AM

rb14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchetcuti View Post
One more question - How accurate is the internal GPS of the N95? 10, 30m, 50m?
It depends on how many satellites and their signal strength. In London you can watch my accuracy vary from 15 to 30 metres horizontally and the same with elevation. That said, walking across my roof terrace, it told me I'd moved 20 metres (it's about 16) at a speed of 4.8 km/h. Cool huh?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:51 AM

brawlman is on a distinguished road
N95 Data Plan question

Does the N95 need to have a data plan to use internet, or is this done through SIM card? I have T-Mobile in the USA and am trying to find out what to expect if I were to buy a UK model N95.
Also, I'm new to Symbian OS and would like to know if Excel is capable of running; any link you can point me to get caught up on symbian os.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:28 AM

bonzo5988 is on a distinguished road
Tom Tom 6

Hi

Has anybody installed tom tom 6 on there n95, and tried to output the display onto a portable DVD Player for the car.That would be good.I cant see why not.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo5988 View Post
Hi

Has anybody installed tom tom 6 on there n95, and tried to output the display onto a portable DVD Player for the car.That would be good.I cant see why not.
I've done the first bit - TomTom is very usable on the N95 due to the larger screen. As it doesn't know about the internal GPS, it treats the phone just as it would any other N series device and turns on Bluetooth to look for a GPS receiver.

I haven't tried outputting to a DVD screen in the car, but I can't see why it wouldn't work, so long as you have the inputs needed in the car to get the signal to that screen.
Ads

Old 06-04-2007, 11:22 AM

bonzo5988 is on a distinguished road
Hi

i have not set my tom tom up yet,but was thinking i could use the AV cable that came with the phone to connect to a DVD player.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:04 PM

ed0902 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I have problem with the internet broswer or it might also be the connection problem.

Here is the situation, I can connect my n95 to my house's wireless router. I can open the 1st website(whatever website it might be) i go to. BUT i cannot open any links on the website, or I cannot go to another website either. It will take a long time and a message saying "no gateway reply" would pop-up. I tried many times, but each time the same thing happen. Please help me to pin out what's the problem and how can i fix it.

Thank you very much.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 PM

bajeq is on a distinguished road
Hi Rafe is there a way to increase the free ram from the 21MB to anything higher

Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 AM

Sogard is on a distinguished road
Question Bluetooth stereo headset

If you want to listen to radio you must plug in your headset.... but can you instead pair with a bluetooth stereo headset??????

Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 PM

MrFirey is on a distinguished road
That old WLAN problem

I'm sorry to return to this old chestnut, but I think there is a group of us out there with this very annoying unresolved problem. We can make a browser connection through our wireless router and surf a very few pages before everything very quickly crawls to a stop and we get the message "Web: No gateway reply". When this occurs there is no chance of further browsing without switching the phone off and back on again. It seems to behappening with a variety of routers and encryption methods. I have tinkered with every setting both in my phone and Netgear router to no avail. I know it's not dignified, but I'm begging for help here!

Old 11-04-2007, 03:23 PM

ktabic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogard View Post
If you want to listen to radio you must plug in your headset.... but can you instead pair with a bluetooth stereo headset??????
You don't need to plug in the 'headset' to listen to radio, you need to plug in the remote, which doesn't trigger a headset plugged in response from the phone. So yes you should be able to (although I haven't got a bluetooth headset on me to try with).

Old 11-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Lns101 is on a distinguished road
N95 S60 Browser problem

I have had my N95 for a few days and now the browser is not working at all. I cannot use WLAN or Orangeworld or anything that uses the browser. Is there a way I can reinstall the S60 browser?