All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-06-2010, 08:29 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2702 View Post
Ummm... yeah, I'm for real.

If you need your phone to order dinner and it's next to impossible because you can't read the screen, could I suggest a different restaurant/takeaway or a different phone?
You can't be for real.

I've yet to find a current phone that has a screen thats readily visible in strong sunlight. Its mildly irritating to have to walk into the shade in order to see who's calling, read/send a text.

My Panasonic camera is absolutely fine for daylight viewing - no problems whatsoever. So why is it so apparently difficult for such an effect on a mobile?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

I'd like to have a better screen, be twenty years younger and hung like a baboon but you learn to cope...
Finally we get to the root cause of your apparent issues.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post

My Panasonic camera is absolutely fine for daylight viewing - no problems whatsoever. So why is it so apparently difficult for such an effect on a mobile?
Touch screen is the problem I think. I still have some aincient Nokia dumb phones that are prefectly readable in direct sun, indeed my old N70 is.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
You can't be for real.

I've yet to find a current phone that has a screen thats readily visible in strong sunlight. Its mildly irritating to have to walk into the shade in order to see who's calling, read/send a text.

Umm seriously, yes, I am for 'real'. I 'Shizzle ma nizzle' and all that funky stuff.

I'm not arguing the fact that walking in the shade is 'mildly irritating'. I'm just asking is it, for instance, in the top three considerations you take into account when buying a phone?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM

You have me down to a tee but I'm coping.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
You have me down to a tee but I'm coping.
You'll be pleased to know that there is nothing particularly impressive about baboon phallus. I've no idea why that expression is used.
Ads

Old 09-06-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You'll be pleased to know that there is nothing particularly impressive about baboon phallus. I've no idea why that expression is used.
Best post... ever!

I need to update my CV. How does a carthorse rate?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Shivoa

Correction

The N93i's display was transflective, giving the good outdoor visibility (even in direct Sunlight) and telltale rainbowing typical of that display tech. I used the N93 as my primary phone for a good few years until my need for a headphone socket and microSDHC slot combined with a desire for a larger screen for web browsing and pushed me towards at 5800 (which is one of the worst touchscreen TFTs for outside usage in my experience, no visibility in direct sunlight and limited visibility even in shaded outside conditions).

With that said, the 5800 display also beats every OLED touchscreen I've seen for outdoor visibility so I'd probably rank it lowest on your scale (certainly below typical TFTs). Then again I haven't seen an IPS TFT in direct sunlight that wasn't a mains powered monitor (with anti-glare coating) so maybe that will rank lowest (assuming Apple aren't going to use a transflective version of the tech for their new phone).

The high res screen on the iPhone and decent specs have made me seriously consider giving up on my long-term insistence on open devices, with the Samsung Galaxy S being the dark horse which could offer an alternative with its Super OLED display (although I have yet to see how that tech works outside and it seems to be an advance to just pump out more light itself to slightly mitigate the problem rather than the smarter solution that transflection offers).

Old 09-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
No, the N93i had a TFT screen - the N93 had the transflective one etc. Great shame.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Wildsau is on a distinguished road
A non transflective display is a no go for me.

My wife owns the 5800 (non transflective), I have a N97 (transflective), and the different readability in (bright) sunlight is incredible.
On the 5800 you really can't read a thing, it get's washed out completely, the N97 remains read- and usable which is important to me since I spend a lot of time outdoors.

I thought that SE is the only company that's so far behind that they almost never use transflective screens in their phones, sad to see that others are closing up (or stepping back).

Non transflective? Never ever.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:14 AM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ummm... yeah, I'm for real.

If you need your phone to order dinner and it's next to impossible because you can't read the screen, could I suggest a different restaurant/takeaway or a different phone?
LOL and what good would choosing a different restaurant do, you still have to find the number. A transflective layer adds about 5 to the cost of a handset so like Steve argues it's stupid not to add it to ALL phones.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

N8 video tour 2

Hi Steve

Please take a look at this video... the second one in Nokia's N8 guided tour...

And compare it with iPhone 4's video editing...

Nokia demonstrates N8 video editing capabilities:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/08/n...-capabilities/

Best regards

Jens Ole

Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Walk down your local high street and see all the kids on their non-touch phones (Watch carefully or you'll get arrested!). If the manufacturers want them to move on to smartphones they will need to make screens that can be seen in sunlight.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Unregistered

I cannot understand why Nokia offer free navigation when the screens are so bad that one cannot see the map.

Spooner.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:49 AM

Dave_Carroll is on a distinguished road
I currently use a Nokia N86; the display is very difficult to read in direct sunlight
I've previously used a BlackBerry Curve (transmissive TFT LCD display) which was easy to read under all lighting conditions