All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-03-2008, 02:10 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
So why SHOULD i buy the E90?

Looking into my next phone, got a couple of months left with my N73. I've been looking at the N95 8GB, and the N96. But i've also been looking at the E90. Like it, a lot. But should i choose it over the other two, and why?

(almost) Everything about the E90 says "yes", except the memory and the price. The other two have better deals and HUGE storage compared to the E90. What is the largest size card that the E90 takes? Is it 2GB, or is there a better firmware (like some of the N series) that allows larger cards?

I use apps like Tomtom and Viewranger, so having the huge screen would be great. How have apps like those worked for you? Do they fill the screen or not? How does the E90 handle MP4 movies (properly converted)? Do the other 3rd edition apps like Panoman, Emoze, Opera, OfficeSuite work on there?

Tell me why i should take the E90 over its cousins. Convince me.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 28-03-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Old 27-03-2008, 03:20 PM

Terry1100 is on a distinguished road
I can't answer all your questions as I've only had my E90 for a week.

But I can answer the "why" question (over the other two)

Because it's got a QWERTY keyboard.

If that makes a difference to you, go for it.

I paid 100 for mine on upgrade and yes, it can handle big SDHC cards (current Vodafone firmware) - I have a 4Gb so the 8gb of the N95 is (to my mind) an irrelevance.

Search here but I believe that current TomTom software can't use the internal GPS but is fine if you use a bluetooth GPS. I'm using Nokia Maps with a short guidance subscription pro tem while I decide what "full" package to buy (I'm tending towards Route 66 v8 but I think that there's a new version of CoPilot coming so I'll hang on for a bit).

On the wide screen it's very nice - but I have to say I've never used any other SatNav before so I have no point of reference.

I haven't got any full movies converted but it plays my old personal home movies (converted from 8mm cine to VHS to DVD to phone! ) perfectly. Funnily enough, it skips and hesitates in Mobituba even with clips stored on the card.

I love it - it's the obvious upgrade (if the deal is right) for an E70 (or other E-Series) owner but I'm not sure about coming from an N- Series

Old 27-03-2008, 03:28 PM

leoni1980 is on a distinguished road
Storage is not a problem with the E90: it will take any capacity of sdhc card, and transfer of data from an sdhc card with a reader is lightning quick, whereby the n95 8gb is pretty slow. you can buy 8gb category 4 micro sdhc cards with readers off play.com for only 33 gbp with free delivery. i personally went for a 4gb card from the same company which cost just 12gbp. I'd take a removable card anyday above the sluggish cable transfer of nokia phones.

Media playback is fine with coreplayer. I can play divx movies which aren't optimised for the e90 with no problems. The only thing i miss about the n95 8gb is that its screen is a lot bigger than the E90's external one, and inevitably on the move the external screen is utilised the most.

The web browser is also more stable on both n95's though when the firmware update for the E90 is finally released it should fix this problem.

one annoyance i had with the N95 8b which is not a problem on the E90 is that the shiny black facade is very easily scratched, whereas the E90 is of a much more solid construction and mine still looks brand new despite being pocketed with no protective covers.

Inevitably the strange aspect ratio of the E90's inner screen affects a lot of Java games, but all the applications i've tried work fine with it: i'm not really a game person though

Old 27-03-2008, 10:32 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi UKJeeper

Really only you can answer if the E90 is the right choice for you or not as none of us know exactly what is important to you or what you want or need it to do.

To answer some of your questions i currently use an 8gb SDHC card with no problems and have lots of Films and TV Shows all converted in MP4 h.264 at full screen 800x352 and they all play perfectly in Real Player without the need for any additional player to be installed. I use a program called Movavi Video converter 6 that allows custom settings and whilst this isn't s free program it is not to expensive either.

Tom Tom runs really well on the internal screen but not with internal GPS but as i already have a separate GPS receiver that is far more powerful that is still my preference anyway. I have no idea why you would want to use Opera as the in built browser is far superior. QuickOffice is already installed and the version offers editing as well as just viewing and with are relatively inexpensive upgrade can handle Office 2007. Now idea what Moze is so can't comment on that one. But there is a wealth of free and paid for apps that should enable you to do most of not all you require.

The E90 may be bigger than most devices but then it does have a 4"screen and a full QWERTY.

Marc

Last edited by Dogmann; 29-03-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Ads

Old 27-03-2008, 10:56 PM

leoni1980 is on a distinguished road
Presumably he means Emoze, the email client I use too.

Opera Mobile doesn't work on the E90, opera mini (when font size is set to smallest) is a great alternative to the standard browser when 3g is unavailable or turned off as it is almost as fast as a normal browser at rendering.

Should the new Opera Mobile 9.5 work with the E90 it will be a revelation, since although the Safari browser built into the E90 is pretty good Opera 9.5 looks AMAZING, with desktop speed rendering, integrated Flash Lite 3 support and an intelligent UI. Just check out this link

Looks the perfect complement to the E90's screen to me since the demo is only on a QVGA display!

Old 28-03-2008, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the replies. So the internal GPS is as good as the N95's (cough)? Thats Ok, i use a Holux 240 on the N73. Very happy with it.

Yes, i meant Emoze, oops. Unfortunately we've switched to Exchange 2007 at work, and i gave up fighting the certificate install and just made it desktop based instead. Works even quicker than my colleagues blackberry.

As far as what i want it to do? Play movies full screen, play music, access email, both pop3 and smtp, have a range of GPS apps, take decent pics/video, and have the processing power to do it comfortably.

You say there's no firmware update yet? Thats not good. I've flashed the N73 4-5 times in 14 months, gets better every time.

I'll look at Opera 9.5.

Thanks again.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 28-03-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Old 28-03-2008, 03:38 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
Hi UKJeeper

There is actually a new firmware due anytime now that apparently will be adding Flash Lite 3.0,Web Runtime engine and i would imagine also Demand paging and few other tweaks. Although this is still just rumor so no one is 100% sure when it will be released.

If you download a trial of Movavi Video Converter 6 it will allow you to convert 30% of a file so you can check it's results just PM me and i will send you the settings that i use for the best results.

Marc

Old 28-03-2008, 10:43 PM

I've been using Super video converter to make mp4's for the N73 and i'm real happy with what it produces.

Old 31-03-2008, 11:26 AM

OK, i took the plunge. Ordered from O2 last night. 1200 mins, 1000 texts, Unlimited (subject to acceptable use policy) internet, no cost for the phone. £45 per month.

Realllly looking forward to seeing what viewranger looks like on the big screen.

C'mon courier!!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:23 PM

craigtrap is on a distinguished road
I ordered the E90 as an upgrade yesturday...but i am at work today and well no one was home for the delivery!! Annoying! but now i have changed the delivery and it is coming to work!

But from all i have read/seen about the E90, it looks pretty good, i can't wait to get it!!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Wifes at home this week. She has strict orders NOT TO GO OUT TODAY!

Edit: She just called. ITS HERE! An hour till i go home, AAARRRrgggghhh!

Last edited by UKJeeper; 01-04-2008 at 03:38 PM.