All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-01-2002, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
Right, I've had enough, I'm gonna slap my communicator silly if this doesn't work. I can't install software or copy large-ish files to my MMC without it crashing. copying to the internal memory is no problem, I've tried deleting my .ini files and this made it slightly more stable, but it still doesn't work. So it's last resort time the whole lot get's formatted, possibly me 'doze partition too for good measure.

Anywho off to try and save my contacts...
BTW has anyone else had similar trouble I'm guessing it may be a problem with the filing system used on the MMC having some kind of 'memory' stopping it write files where ones were previously. Never expected any trouble with my standard Nokia 16MB card though.

Flipside
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 03-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Right, I'm trying to format the MMC, and it keeps refusing me, saying that it is in use, I've tried removing all the applications from it and it still won't format the stupid thing. How the hell will it format it.

Flipside

Old 03-01-2002, 07:33 PM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
Your best bet is to format it on a PC with a card reader or something. Alternatively, possibly format it from a suitable digital camera. Not sure if the one that comes with the Nokia will do it, but it might.

Going back to basics, if you have not already done so, try this
Make sure you have switched on show all files in file manager and then delete everything on the card.
rebooting the machine with the card taken out. After it has fully rebooted, reinsert the card and then try formating it with the file manager app. I am assuming the the file manager app is installed in main memory.

Zuber
Ads

Old 04-01-2002, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Right I've reformatted and have only File manager and clock on my internal memory and an MMC with the solitary file Memory Card/system/fonts/Eon14.gdr this file cannot be deleted whether I try in File Manager or via Explorer. Also until I manage to remove this file it will not let me format by either method.

Please help me.... s

Flipside

Old 04-01-2002, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

After an hour of doing practically everything but beat it with a stick, it finally did what it was told. Then after 4 attempts it finally formatted the MMC without crashing. I get the feeling that the problem may be with my MMC afterall, but no problem I can get a nice big 64meg one on monday. Student loan day [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]DD

Flipside

Old 04-01-2002, 02:58 PM

upponalle is on a distinguished road
<!-- BBCode Quote Start --><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2002-01-04 0109, Flipside wrote
Right I've reformatted and have only File manager and clock on my internal memory and an MMC with the solitary file Memory Card/system/fonts/Eon14.gdr this file cannot be deleted whether I try in File Manager or via Explorer... </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><!-- BBCode Quote End -->

Hello Flipside,
reboot your lovely "toy" [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] without the MMC and once it is completely rebooted insert the MMC and you should be able to remove this troublesome file.
I think this is one these "known issues" with the OPL package for the 9210.
Hth,

Tilman<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by upponalle on 2002-01-04 1606 ]</font>

Old 04-01-2002, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I am getting to hate my MMC at the moment, after managaing to install a lot of the standard nokia apps, the old problem of crashing when I try to install has re-reared it's ugly head. It appears that just formatting wasn't good enough for it.

It's a lovely device when it works, and I will make it work somehow. I'm gonna have a re-think on solving this, and hope it is just this MMC, otherwise I'm gonna have to find a backup phone for a while, while it has a firmware upgrade.

Flipside