All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-10-2009, 05:40 AM

leovyn is on a distinguished road
N86 cant update firmware to v20.115

i tried to update my firmware today...but it keep occur this: For optimum connectivity, your USB cable should be connected directly to the PC and not via a USB hub, USB keyboard or latop docking station? i cant update...i tried to reinstall NSU..but still occur the same problem...i even restart my pc and my hp...but still same...in addition...my cable is connected to motherboard directly...what i can do to solve this problem?

Old 26-10-2009, 09:47 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Before updating your phone firmware,

Please do take the backup of your phone data. Make sure that your PC's firewall or Anti-virus programs does not stop Nokia Software Updater to update your phone's firmware. Make sure your phone's product code has got the latest firmware(some operator enabled phones will not receive firmware update though other phone's has got). Make sure that you have charged your phone completely, you have inserted a SIM card, through which you can make an outgoing call(Active SIM card) and your phone should be in general mode. If you are using Vista PCs, right click on NSU icon and Run as admininstrator and check ... Hope this could help

Old 26-10-2009, 10:59 AM

thanks for your kind reply. but i followed what you mentioned. i did a backup of my phone before start the update. my pc firewall or anti-virus does not stop NSU to update. my phone product code can search the latest update. my phone will charge itself when connected to usb. i have inserted a sim card which is active. and my pc is XP. just now i tried to update with another pc in my house which is windows xp too...and it successful to start the update...but..still the same..until 153.2mb..it say it failed..and after that i cant update anymore...how to solve this?????

Old 27-10-2009, 05:39 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Hi,

If you have dataplan( i dont know much about your operator) GPRS active on your phone, dial *#0000# on your phone and check for updates, If it says update avaialble, you can update your phone's firmware on the air. BUT ITS BIT RISKY i guess, if your connection is too slow, its too risky Atleast i can update N86 to the latest firmware.

Old 27-10-2009, 06:41 AM

er...i tried to update OTA before. and it failed. after restart the phone, it say that the download package not compatible to the handphone

Old 27-10-2009, 06:18 PM

riverboat is on a distinguished road
i debranded my phone using product code 0586171 which is a Uk product code.

I updated to firmware 11.043

But it says i'm up to date....what gives?

should i have picked a Euro code?

And what happens if i use NSS to change the product code again?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 AM

kalimero is on a distinguished road
With 20:20 hindsight I'd recommend that you hold off upgrading to 2.0.anything. The FW is obviously still very beta (the term maintenance upgrade was mentioned elsewhere) - and this not only from own experience but from reading up alot on various sites.

For my part I've experienced;

Massive memory leak - at startup I got the "you're down to 10mb of memory", even though I've deliberately uninstalled all unneccessary files (games etc) and avoided installing anything other than a memory booster

Crashes - in the original FW (10.something or else) i never crashed, as I upgraded to FW 11.x my overall experience got alot better at the cost of a few hiccups

E-mail has gone completely haywire - first I "lost" the email presentation in the homepage, annoying but fixable. It seemed n86 has a rather short memory. Then I had to redo the gmail mailbox a couple of times. At least it wasn't the messy Mail for Exchange workaround that enabled gCal synch that got lost... Until last night. When both email boxes got wiped and the possibility to redo them along with the boxes... Now when I try to set up email all I get is a frozen phone:-(

...And as I'm thinking about something snappy to say about Nokia and their poor attempt at FW upgrades I fiddle with my phone and there the mailboxes are? Not in their usual "white with red border"-Gmail-splendor or the usual MfE icon, but definitely there. Not accessable, mind you but there - sort of as a ghost is...

This really does stink:-(

Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
I have to second the advice to hold off on this update.Screen rotation with theme effects on takes ages and looks weird. Easily fixable of course but a little annoying. I can no longer play some of the videos that came with the device. Keypad light won´t turn off while watching videos(tbh I don not know if this really is a new issue but I really hope they fix it soon.) When I woke up this morning the phone was completely dead. Had to remove the battery. Good thing my GF´s phone still worked. I still think it is( in many ways) the best phone, and certainly the most underrated phone available today tho.
Ads