All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Nokia Update N95 and N95 8GB firmware to v35

How about that for an early Christmas present? Aimed at the Nokia N95 (which must be drawing its pension by now), Nokia have released a new firmware for the device. We're off to dust down the older phones (they must be in here somewhere) to find out what delights are in v35.0.001. Be aware that user data is not preserved in a firmware update on the N95 range, so you must back up your data first if you want to keep it.

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-12-2009, 02:34 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
New fw for N95?? Crazy commitment from Nokia! Awesome!

Old 21-12-2009, 02:41 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Smile

A step in the right direction. Nokia learning good things from Apple. Not that they have too much to offer but this is one good quality I like in Apple, continuing support for what you've sold in the market.

I hope N82 gets it too.

Old 21-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Unregistered

The N82, N95-3 & N95-4 all got the V35 update today too. Everyone thought the N95-3 had been ditched cos it's been stuck on v20 for a very long time.

Old 21-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Why no N86 update?

Old 21-12-2009, 02:49 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

This is very interesting in the light of Steve's N95/N96/N97 comparison and some of the rabid comments that followed it. Personally, I chose not to upgrade my N95-1 to an N95 8GB because of the lack of lens cover. Then I chose not to upgrade to an N85 because of the lack of a graphics chip. Then I chose not to upgrade to an N96 because DVB-H was always going to be a non-starter. Then I chose not to upgrade to an N97 because it's a shitload of money for not much improvement.

Despite some of the ludicrous user-unfriendly quirks of the N95's version of S60, at least I now know that UI pretty well, and even after three years it remains the best handset for me.

Old 21-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

The N82 has also received a firmware update today! Been reported on numerous websites.

Old 21-12-2009, 03:01 PM

fyatwyrio is on a distinguished road
Holy Crap!!!

And for the US! At least my N95-3 RM-160. WOW. I'm speechless.

Old 21-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Candido is on a distinguished road
Just updated my N95-3 and I see nothing new compared to v.20

No Ovi Store App.....no screen rotation (like the Euro counterparts)....still old v.2 maps.....nothing at all.

Same old apps with a new firmware number. At least this is the case for the N95-3.

Oh well......hope there are some better optimizations under the hood.

Old 21-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

N82 !!??!? HURRAH!

Don't tell me the strong flow of pro-N82 articles over the last couple of years, and particularly more recently has made it through to the Nokia powers-that-be!?

Don't tell me the faint possibility has entered the Nokia corporate mindset that in actual fact (shock, horror!) Xenon flashes really ARE better than LED (as they most surely are by a long way), and that actually a LOT of people want Xenon flashes back. And maybe a HW graphics coprocessor is a good idea also?! And that this update is by way of a stand-in measure until a future handset with both features back? No....surely not!

NOKIA - If you're reading this - yes, LOTS of people do want Xenon back and decent graphics power, in future handsets. Yes please. I for one will not buy another Nokia handset without a Xenon flash - most shots that most people take are not in the best light or done without a steady hand, and LED fails in comparison to Xenon in these situations. I DO want one device to rule them all. Thank you.

Old 21-12-2009, 03:17 PM

RollerSMB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
This is very interesting in the light of Steve's N95/N96/N97 comparison and some of the rabid comments that followed it. Personally, I chose not to upgrade my N95-1 to an N95 8GB because of the lack of lens cover. Then I chose not to upgrade to an N85 because of the lack of a graphics chip. Then I chose not to upgrade to an N96 because DVB-H was always going to be a non-starter. Then I chose not to upgrade to an N97 because it's a shitload of money for not much improvement.

Despite some of the ludicrous user-unfriendly quirks of the N95's version of S60, at least I now know that UI pretty well, and even after three years it remains the best handset for me.
Amen to that. I foolishly couldn't wait for a new piece of tech, and went with the n97. After the most recent firmware upgrade, it's nearly as useful as the n95-1 was for me. But still not quite :(

Old 21-12-2009, 03:34 PM

JCB_Digger is on a distinguished road
Talking But why?

I'm amazed (but really happy) that the N95 has a further lease of life.

But I can't see any point in updating firmware for a phone which should be pushing up the daisies by now, so I wonder if Nokia have plans to reintroduce the phone as a 'new model' at a much lower price point?

Old 21-12-2009, 03:50 PM

krisq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB_Digger View Post
I'm amazed (but really happy) that the N95 has a further lease of life.

But I can't see any point in updating firmware for a phone which should be pushing up the daisies by now, so I wonder if Nokia have plans to reintroduce the phone as a 'new model' at a much lower price point?
I think the strategy here is to show current and future owners it's worth to invest money in Nokia and that no phone will be forgotten, even after 2 years. Especially flagships.
Ads

Old 21-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
most shots that most people take are not in the best light or done without a steady hand, and LED fails in comparison to Xenon in these situations
Most shots that most people take don't use flash at all.

Nokia, please don't lose the flashlight capability, and make your phones bulkier, more battery hungry, more fragile, less green and more expensive just so a few people can see their drunk face close ups better.

Old 21-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

Fool. Look at the Satio. Xenon AND LED flashes, yet it's probably thinner than the N86.

Don't encourage Nokia to continue with their stupid ignorance.