All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Mnia786 is on a distinguished road
Ignoring what all you guys are ranting about and posting what most of us actually want to see about this thread:

I have updated to v35 and it seems to be quite a bit quicker. Nothing new on the surface so all under the bonnet from the looks of it. Same n-gage application with fifa 08, asphalt and snakes demos.

The main difference I saw was the boot up process after the nokia holding hands logo was MUCH quicker (when you see the active standby, then it goes for a few seconds before you can fully start using your phone). On v31, it was around 30 seconds for me but is only a few now.

I think the WLAN freezing the phone causing you to have to take out the battery has also been fixed as I have not froze on WLAN atm (touch wood!).

After removing the n-gage trial and symbian os pips etc. and the welcome vid, I was left with around 123mb of free space on c: (out of 133, 92.4% is not bad!). Free RAM on boot is still around 90mb.

Wonder why there is no change-log but can also confirm v35 allows install of unsigned apps if you do the y:\sys\bin\installserver.exe trick

Old 23-12-2009, 07:40 PM
n82er

Question What trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnia786 View Post
Ignoring what all you guys are ranting about and posting what most of us actually want to see about this thread:

Wonder why there is no change-log but can also confirm v35 allows install of unsigned apps if you do the y:\sys\bin\installserver.exe trick
What trick is that? Don't think I heard that one before

Old 23-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Unregistered

How about the call log? Do all of your calls still show up with mobile icons?

Old 23-12-2009, 08:02 PM

Mnia786 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by n82er View Post
What trick is that? Don't think I heard that one before
Simply copy the version of installserver.exe that allows you to install unsigned apps to y:\sys\bin\ (make the directories if they don't exist) then upgrade your phone. As y: is not written to during the upgrade but is read, you can install any new unsigned apps such as rp on v35. Only do-able on phones with a y drive so not the n95-1 I believe.

On another update, after applying a few tweaks to my phone, there seems to be some new kind of protection mechanism present... For example, I killed FavouritesSrv.exe from jbak so I could delete the default bookmarks database as its full of junk and the phone cripples slightly then I got some diagnostic message saying "Application closed: JbakTaskMan ViewSrv 11" or something like that. Deffo not in pre v35 phones to hmmm. Similarly, been getting bluish boxes in the top right corner of the screen with messages such as "Copied" when I c&p text in and out of field and "Plat 31" when I boot up. Not sure if its jbaktaskman but definitely something new going on under the plastered s60 ui IMHO as it still does it when I close jtm

They have also FINALLY fixed the "use number" thing in log e.g. you get a phone call from someone who is not in contacts and want to save their number to contacts or sms them - previously it used to quickly close messaging or contacts before you could save but this seems fixed - one thing that used to drive me crazy previously!

All calls still seem to show mobiles in log.

Last edited by Mnia786; 23-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Old 23-12-2009, 11:47 PM
CoolDudePT

Euro1?

Has this hit the EURO1 product code yet? I'm not getting it...

Old 24-12-2009, 05:35 AM
buccappy

Smile where were we?

as far as this forum is concerned, we were talking about the firmware update and not xenon versus led versus hell knows who!

First of, thanks to Nokia for giving new life to both the N82 and N95. Such great and very wonderful devices of their time and up to now they STILL live up to their moniker.

And as for the Flash Wars; cut it out! it all depends on your creativity and your ability to make your device as competetive as ever. If you cant make it work for you then you definitely wasted money! Piece of advice; these devices will not adapt to our own preferences - rather it is US and always US who are to adjust to the way they perform, 'nuff said.

It all depends on YOU.

Old 25-12-2009, 12:47 PM
ScorpionSX

Hi, I just updated my N95 8GB to this latest FW, but I'm getting an error while trying to run the music player!
I go like I always did, Menu->Music->Music Player and then, when the "Now playing" should come up, I only get the pop-up window saying "General: System Error". And only blank screen shows up.
I can still use the phone, it doesn't freeze or anything, but this is quite serious for me, since the 8GB memory for all my music was one of the reasons to buying this phone.

But what I've noticed, when I press *#0000# and the FW window shows up, it's says this:
V 35.0.001
11-11-09
RM-320
(c) Nokia N95 (06.01)
from what I've found on the internet, shouldn't the last line be something like "...(07.xx)"?

I used Ovi PC Suite to update my phone and I also tried it with Nokia Software Updater, but I got same result.
My product code is the one for EURO3 region, and during the update nothing unusual occured.

Thanks for any advice.
Ads

Old 26-12-2009, 03:06 PM
jcb1977

Unhappy message

Hi everyone do any of you know how i can get my old software back on to my N95 8gb phone i need the old version 20.0.016 software back on my phone to get it back up & running again its just that i have updated my phone to the latest software which i think is version 30.0.025 with out backing the old software up first Thankyou .

Old 30-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Unregistered

Software Upgrade v 35

Anyone but me experiencing terrible internet connection problems since the upgrade to my N95-3?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 PM
chris486

Firmware v35

It seems to have added a task manager - hooray for that!

Old 17-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

N82 V35 updated

Hi all, updated my N82 firmware to v35. Before updating i took backup and did a hard reset. Update went smooth and quick. I dont know i am right these are the changes

1. video ringtone
2. theme icon on standby apps
3. reboots quickly

Noticeable increase in speed.

Old 19-02-2010, 02:45 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all, updated my N82 firmware to v35. Before updating i took backup and did a hard reset. Update went smooth and quick. I dont know i am right these are the changes

1. video ringtone
2. theme icon on standby apps
3. reboots quickly

Noticeable increase in speed.
1 - Has had video ringtones since the day it came out, on all flavours of firmware.
2 - Not sure what you mean by this.
3 - Possibly noticing this too myself, but as ever, after a clean update, the question is, is it the firmware, or a general tidying up casued by installing it.

Pleased it went well for you though.

For me, one update (my silver N82) failed halfway through, and required no less than FIVE re-attempts at connect to finish the install (and lot's of nervous moments).

At the end of it, this had not adhered to any UDP - ALL data and settings were lost.

On my other Black N82 however, it updated first time, and kept all data, settings, and stuff fine.

Go figure *lol*

Old 19-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alliterator View Post
A flash does not a camera make Mr Bollocks. I thank you for hoisting yourself with your own petard.

You also proved my comment about the obnoxious xealot.

cock