All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 28-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Camera and Vibration API's for the P800 From SE

Sony Ericsson has now finally released certain attractive and important Application Programming Interfaces (API's) for the P800 - the Camera and Vibrator API's.

Sony Ericsson Camera API
The Sony Ericsson Camera API implementation of the Symbian Onboard Camera API Design described in SGL.GT0126.031) is implemented for the P800 smartphone and compatible with P800 Organiser software CXC162001 R2A14 and later. The Camera API supports still image capturing of RGB bitmap based pictures of three sizes and direct-to-screen view finding of one fixed size (QQVGA). All mandatory methods are supported, but optional features of the Symbian Onboard Camera API Design such as video, flash and zoom are not supported.

Detailed API information is available within the downloadable package. The Camera API support is not pre-installed on the P800 and must be installed separately. The package provided (ECam.sis) provides an install time check that the target phone supports the Camera API. Any application using the Camera API shall embed ECam.sis into the application package.

Sony Ericsson Vibration API
The Sony Ericsson Vibration API can be used to turn on and off the vibration function. The API can also be used to specify the time to have the vibration turned on or off and the number of times to run this scenario. Detailed API information is available within the downloadable package. The Vibration API support is not pre-installed on the P800 and must be installed separately. Any application using the Vibration API shall embed Vibration.sis into the application package.

You can download it here: http://www.ericsson.com/mobilityworld/sub/open/devices/p800/docs/camera_vibration_api

The credit goes to Rear_Admiral for his tip in the P800 forum

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.
Ads

Old 28-05-2003, 04:07 PM

Rear_Admiral is on a distinguished road
Re: Camera and Vibration API's for the P800 From SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
The credit goes to Rear_Admiral for his tip in the P800 forum
No prob!

Old 29-05-2003, 12:20 PM

tiborakos is on a distinguished road
Re: Camera and Vibration API's for the P800 From SE

[quote="GhostDog"]All mandatory methods are supported, but optional features of the Symbian Onboard Camera API Design such as video, flash and zoom are not supported.

Does that mean that we still should not expect Video or Zoom... :( :( :(

Old 29-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Well,the features you named,zoom and video are not supported in SE's API which is not the only camera API released.BTW:(Not sure about this)Developers of ETICamcorder for Series 60 are developing UIQ port of the app.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 30-05-2003, 11:04 AM

SE CAM & Vibration APIs

I'll be very greatful if anyone can offer any help on this!

The APIs I downloaded includes a whole list of files I don't quite understand what they are or do. Can anyone offer some help on how to install and use them? Thanks

Old 30-05-2003, 11:54 AM

Camera & Vibration API's

Can anyone explain what these API's do to the phone, improvements or anything of some sort? I can't understand the description SE included with these files. Can anyone explain them in laymans terms? I's install them as soon as I understand what these files do to the current p800. Thanks!

Old 30-05-2003, 12:11 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
These are API's (Application Programmer Interface's) for programmers to use in their software. They wont be of any use to you untill someone writes a program that uses them. There is not a lot of point in installing them at the moment. I'm sure that if you do install a program that needs them it will either be part of the install for that program or tell you to download them then.

Old 31-05-2003, 12:24 AM

API's

Wow! That really cleared it. Thanks dude! I guess I won't be installing them for the meantime.