All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM

Degriz is on a distinguished road
Bye Bye Nokia

Its was sweet for a while but you F*cked me royally with the N97 and it looks like your new phones will be the same. I see articles about your new phones that read the same as the ones about the n97 a year ago, making a big fuss about adding features that should have been in the original release..Looks like everyone gets a years free Beta Testing with their new Nokia.

Dell Streak all the way now!!!!

Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM

mobilephil is on a distinguished road
bye then

Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Yup. I too have trundled off to Android land with a Samsung Galaxy S :-(

Wouldn't you know it though - GPS problems and not one word from Samsung.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:59 AM

jerm is on a distinguished road
bye!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:08 PM

You guys really are frumpy that people jump ship from Nokia?

Customer Loyalty is dead. I've been with Nokia for 10 years and I was hoping this year they might have something different.

Nope. Not by a long shot by the looks of it.

Meego... That could be the future.

I tell you one quality thing the Galaxy S has, well several, great sound, great audio, great earphones and a great unbranded 5MP Lens. Nothing special you may think. But stone me, the barcode scanner actually works unlike that dog of a thing in the Nokia N97. I never really thought Carl Zeiss optics were upto much TBH. And I have my native twitter and facebook clients, shazam, last.fm and imdb... an DivX playback. MMMMM.

Last edited by sjdean; 03-07-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 PM

jerm is on a distinguished road
why bother announcing to the world you're jumping ship? not like nokia's going to contact you personally to try and win you back or anything.

besides, when people say goodbye, it's usually customary to say goodbye back to them

Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM

bchliu is on a distinguished road
Why bother with writing a new post for every person that jumps ship? This damn forum is starting to become a dump for useless posts.. Given that the user has only done 13 posts and had no contribution to this forum.

Spam all the way!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 AM

I love my N97 before it started crashing, and the GPS wouldn't work. Then I loved it a little bit more. Now Im bored of it. Come to the dark side folks.

Seriously, I hope Nokia sort themselves out. They need something big. But Symbian^3 doesn't sound intriguing enough for me. They should get into bed with Android and work to better that software, like adding full Bluetooth support etc and concentrate on kick ass phone hardware like the N8.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
What strikes me as strange is when people keep coming back to the forum for their old phone and try to gloat.

You'd think they'd have a better use of their time

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
What strikes me as strange is when people keep coming back to the forum for their old phone and try to gloat.

I've never once thought Im gloating, but having used my new phone for a couple of weeks, it's even more glaringly obvious where Nokia are going wrong. Not that I got anything against Nokia - hang on, I do, I had the N97!

A lot of people got burned by the N97, it's not quite the wonder toy we thought it was on first release.

I like to think I can offer constructive criticism. Symbian is where Nokia is falling down. Meego may address the balance of power back to Nokia, but, alas, Im not so sure. iPhone and Android have both got a heavy hold on the market.

Maemo I think is a colossal failure in terms of 3rd party support. Im not convinced Symbian^3 or Symbian^4 will fair any better, and judging from Nokias positioning in only giving Meego to their high end handsets, I got a bad feeling about that too!

Hey, why not tell it like it is?
Ads

Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM

lifestyle is on a distinguished road
Hi friends,

I am also a long-time Nokia guy - in fact, I think Nokia was the innovator of many marvelous ideas in mobile land for many, many years. Long before there was iPhone and Androids.

With Symbian^3, I thought that finally, I can upgrade/hack my Symbian S60 phones such as the venerable E71 to Symbian^3 and give Androids and iPhone a run for their money.

HOWEVER, it seems like this is NOT the case (ie. NOT in the future map of Symbian^3) and will not be the case.

This sad turn of events once again shows that Nokia has come to the end of life as a creative company, just like Netscape (which spawned off Mozilla and Firefox), Atari and even more recently, Yahoo and HP.

Introducing newer and "better" models will be a hard game to beat as old die-hard Nokia/Symbian fans go searching out Galaxies, Droids, Desires and i-want-my-Phones and then find that they are so in love with the Linux and BSD platforms that they swear that mobiles have never been so fantastic.

I have predicted before that Nokia/Symbian WILL lose out terribly to Android/iPhone if they do not open source Symbian before those guys took off the runway, and sadly, another prediction will be coming true - IF Nokia decides to dump all existing users out in the cold without giving them a taste of the new Open Source Symbian^3.

Fork Symbian^3 and allow various Symbian "distros" to become reality so that ALL existing Nokia phones will:
  1. Run Open Source Symbian;
  2. Receive continuous upgrades from Symbian repositories; and
  3. Encourage trade-in from old, closed source Nokia phones/feature phones to the new Open Source Nokia devices.
Only goodwill from current users will keep Nokia afloat, maybe even bring in new converts via word of mouth, as there is a RAPIDLY shrinking number of new users in the marketplace for Symbian.

LEARN from Yahoo, Nokia! LEARN.

The key to fight back is to garner your still-loyal troops by giving them what new users will be getting - preferably on their existing phones!

p/s. Does anyone know if there is a fork of Symbian^3 or Symbian^3 itself which can be installed on a Nokia E63 and E71?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 PM

I have no problem with people voicing their opinions.

The point I'm making is that when I'd been in a position where I'd moved from one phone which I felt was a disappointment, to another one, I didn't waste my time going back to my old phone's forum except to offer support for those who still had it.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 04-07-2010, 02:16 PM

I just thought I'd log on as a long standing poster to say I've got rid of my N97 and discuss the direction Nokia need to take to regain some ground.

I don't know who the replies were aimed at, me the OP, but crikey, some people get a bit shirty don't they?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
I just thought I'd log on as a long standing poster to say I've got rid of my N97 and discuss the direction Nokia need to take to regain some ground.
...and we welcome the suggestions. I can't comment on Meego as I've never used it, but I agree Symbian^3 doesn't look that different. If Symbian^4 turns out to be a huge overhaul then it could make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
I don't know who the replies were aimed at, me the OP, but crikey, some people get a bit shirty don't they?
Haha some are, aren't they?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post

I'm afraid that it is human nature zxon.

It is also human nature to seek out forums such as this if you are having problems with your handset, for whatever reason, and you are seeking help.

It can therefore be very misleading, when looking through a forum, to believe that every owner of a particular handset has a problem.

The same applies to people who "jump ship". They are, in essence, reinforcing to themselves the choice they have made, not only to other forum members, but mostly to themselves in a feel good sort of way.

Let's be honest, when was the last time you saw someone who had "jumped ship" come back and admit that they had made a bad choice?

That is not to say that I have not read some honest reviews from previous forum members who attempt to give the various pro's and con's of changing but these are few and far between.

Also, let us not forget, that with any new handset it is like a marriage and the first few weeks/months are the honeymoon period whilst you marvel at the different features from previous phone, you're reading up on it in other forums and generally messing about with it whilst it's still new and shiney and you still have the "WOW" factor or bragging rights on the latest handset (unless, of course, you are the owner of the new iPhone 4 or iTouch as I like to call it).

Any reader of this forum is, I'm sure, well aware of the shortcomings of the N97 but I defy anyone to name a handset out there that has no faults whatsoever.

Of course I would have liked double the RAM and C: drive on the N97 but that is not everything, as my friend who has an iPhone 4 owner has found out, when you cannot get something as simple as a signal to make a call or browse the web.

At the pace mobile phone technology is moving, there will always be something else new on the horizon to tempt us to switch handsets or else phone manufacturers would cease to exist.

However, "all that glisters is not gold".