All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-07-2006, 08:57 PM

yoade2002 is on a distinguished road
Memory cards for N80 - problems??

Hi eveyone,

My first post so go easy on me!!

Right, i got an N80 and really need a new memory card (thinking of 2gb). Have any of you who have purchased bigger memory cards experienced any problems with them?

A couple of my mates have the N70 and have both purchased 1gb memory cards, initially they worked fine but just recently both of their phones have had problems eg video recording has slowed down dramatically ie pauses every 4 seconds both in recording and playback also the phone as a whole has slowed down to snail pace - at least 5 seconds to swap applications.

A phone trainer has told them the memory card has slowed the phone up. Both cards are from different manufactures so im wondering if i might encounter any similar problems with new N80??

Also can anyone give me good advice as to which memory card to buy, manufacturer etc as ive checked ebay and there are quite a few variations.

Thanks for taking time to read my 1st post.[/font][/font]

Old 19-07-2006, 09:05 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoade2002
Hi eveyone,

My first post so go easy on me!!

Right, i got an N80 and really need a new memory card (thinking of 2gb). Have any of you who have purchased bigger memory cards experienced any problems with them?

A couple of my mates have the N70 and have both purchased 1gb memory cards, initially they worked fine but just recently both of their phones have had problems eg video recording has slowed down dramatically ie pauses every 4 seconds both in recording and playback also the phone as a whole has slowed down to snail pace - at least 5 seconds to swap applications.

A phone trainer has told them the memory card has slowed the phone up. Both cards are from different manufactures so im wondering if i might encounter any similar problems with new N80??

Also can anyone give me good advice as to which memory card to buy, manufacturer etc as ive checked ebay and there are quite a few variations.

Thanks for taking time to read my 1st post.[/font][/font]
I have a N70 with 1Gb card and no problem at all. The phone is with original software since 11/2005!
About N80, You gonne have a lot of advices, but not from me!

Old 19-07-2006, 09:23 PM

gastonl is on a distinguished road
Defrag

Your friend should defrag the memory card

Old 20-07-2006, 07:39 AM

_Dx_ is on a distinguished road
well i have a 2GB kingston miniSD on my n80, and i have no problems with it

Old 20-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Defragging will not not help.

Memory cards are of differing quality. This is often more apparent when they are full. You should stick to memory card from well known manufctaurers (avoid kingston though, they have caused problems for some).

For the N80 I would recommend a SanDisk card - make sure it is a real one and not a fake (there's loads of fakes on ebay)

Old 20-07-2006, 01:27 PM

yidakee is on a distinguished road
Hey Rafe!

Thanks for pointing that out! How can one tell if its a fake SanDisk?

gracias

Old 21-07-2006, 10:40 AM

knuckleskin is on a distinguished road
My card I bought from eBay, and after Rafe mentioned it, im not entirely sure its genuine. But it works, and it is the 2GB one I ordered. You can't really tell if it is genuine or not from the eBay page because they tend to use stock photos. Just go with the seller with the best rating, my card cost me £25.

You have to buy the miniSD type, and that only currently goes to a maximum of 2GB, although sanDisk did just release a 4GB SD card, so 4GB miniSD might be on the way.

On the defrag thing, defragging does not do too much to the access speeds on the card because it is "randomly accessed" like the RAM memory in your computer, what might slow down the cards for the N71 however is that they are MMC, not miniSD and they may have lower read speeds, although I can't find much about that on the net.

Old 21-07-2006, 02:56 PM

cmlewan is on a distinguished road
Transcend works so far

I have neither a Sandisk nor a Kingston but a Transcend MiniSD 2 GB and it works well so far, but then I have only used it for a couple of days....

Old 21-07-2006, 10:55 PM

matabele is on a distinguished road
I have a 2GB mymemory own brand, it is about 1/2 full mainly music, no problems so far

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/compatible...okia/Nokia_N80

I also have a 1GB Kingston card on my N70 again no problems

Old 31-10-2007, 03:52 PM

dk206 is on a distinguished road
Sandisk MiniSD cards for N80

Hi I was wondering if there is a 4GB MiniSD card from Sandisk or any other companies cus i can't find any....

Also do

"ULTRA II MiniSD " editions work on the Nokia N80?

anyone tried it?

Old 31-10-2007, 04:41 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk206 View Post
Hi I was wondering if there is a 4GB MiniSD card from Sandisk or any other companies cus i can't find any....

Also do

"ULTRA II MiniSD " editions work on the Nokia N80?

anyone tried it?
Ultra II MiniSD until 2Gb, works well with N80. Cards bigger then 2Gb, does not work at all.
Ads

Old 31-10-2007, 05:33 PM

FluxCapacitor is on a distinguished road
Regular SanDisk miniSD 2GB works awesome...Got mine from Amazon.

I used to have the A-Data 2GB...now that's a crap IMO...eveytime I put more than 1GB of data...it got corrupted.