All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia N97 at MWC - Widgets and Kinetic scrolling

When the N97 was announced at Nokia World last year, some 8 months ahead of its retail release, it was clear that the software was a work in progress. At MWC, it was equally clear that progress had been made. For example, Nokia were showing off a number of fully operational homescreen widgets, including one for Facebook. A new addition, which caught my attention, was the implementation of kinetic scrolling (finger flick) in the browser, which improves its usability. Read on for (extensive) further discussion and example video.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:48 AM
krisq

C'mon Nokia!!

Bring it all to 5800! Pleeeease! At least the widgets.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Unregistered

Beer

the facebook application looks very promising, the integration with phone hardware makes it usefull and easy.

I just can't wait to have that device on my hands, but i don't want to spend $1000 on it

.'

Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Unregistered

It would be useful for me to be able to scroll up or down or left and right just by tilting the phone, using the motion sensor. One handed always beats two handed for me. Flick is no improvement on what I already have.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:02 PM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
yeah

Any news about the security/encryption of the E71/E75 to be implemented on the N97?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Iain 117

I don't think you can really say that flick scrolling won't benefit you untill you try it yourself. It makes browsing so much more elegant and easier to do :-) On my iPhone I can easily surf the web with easy with one hand and I don't exactly have the biggest hands in the world ;-)

I do however like your idea of tilt browsing - very unique :-)

This phone needs to come out asap IMO, if Nokia leave it till June/July then of might get lost in the media coverage of the (supposed) new iPhone. We all know how much hype and media coverage the iPhone gets if the N97 launches alongside the new iPhone I think it could be very bad :-/

This makes you think how long it wouldve taken Nokia to come up with these things of it wasn't for the iPhone (Touch screen, widgets, customization, Ovi Store etc) Like it or hate it the Iphone really has been a game changer :-)

Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
I don't care how much it costs. I am getting one. Just sold my 5800XM to make room. Now if I can just sell my iPhone or E71.....

Old 05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Unregistered

I have tried an iPhone and I didn't like it. It's in a drawer now catching dust. The touch requiring two hands all the time (yes it does) and the oversize form factor, poor pocketability and the "iPhone owners have no friends..." image make it very unattractive.
Ads

Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have tried an iPhone and I didn't like it. It's in a drawer now catching dust.
Somehow I very much doubt you've even touched an iPhone...

Quote:
The touch requiring two hands all the time (yes it does)
Yes, if you are a 12 year old girl or a dwarf...

Quote:
and the oversize form factor, poor pocketability
The 'pocketability' is just fine because of the phone being so thin. The N95 8GB, for instance, makes a big bulge in your pockets because of its fatness, which makes it less comfortable to carry - especially in a pants pocket.

Quote:
and the "iPhone owners have no friends..." image make it very unattractive.
Somehow I think you are a very insecure person...
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Kingfisher

The iphone is very uncomfortable in a pocket, especially jeans, better for ladies who carry them in bags. N95 not good either but better. This N97 thing looks too big too. As for one handed pinch zooming and multi-touch, only for mutants and alien creatures.

Please leave the unqualified psychobabble out of it.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Unregistered

There is too much software that is going to be introduced with the N97 (widget homescreen, kinetic scrolling, N-Gage for S60v5), and at each trade show they keep adding some more (e.g. Skype integration). I predict at least one of these two things is going to happen (and possibly both):
1) the release of the N97 will be postponed
2) the initial firmware will be so buggy to be unusable, and it will take at least 6 months to mature to a fairly usable state

Old 05-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Unregistered

I hope that they add kinetic scrolling for menus, gallery and music player.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
The iphone is very uncomfortable in a pocket, especially jeans, better for ladies who carry them in bags. N95 not good either but better.
How is the N95 better? Have you tried having both in your pocket? I have. It's just like the E61(i) - it was very wide and people said it looked like a calculator, yet it was perfectly pocketable because it was so thin.

Quote:
As for one handed pinch zooming and multi-touch, only for mutants and alien creatures.
The post I was replying to claimed that the iPhone required two hands all the time which everyone who's actually used one knows not to be true. Besides, that 'pinching' action is not a feature that normally gets used a lot. For most operations a double-tap is fine for zooming.

Quote:
Please leave the unqualified psychobabble out of it.
Please don't get so emotional every time someone says something positive about the iPhone.

Anyway, back on topic. As an ex-Communicator user I find the N97 interesting and its standby screen does indeed make it special. However, I wonder about its longevity now that the new, open Symbian Foundation platform is on its way... I guess the question is: just how committed to the current platform will Nokia stay with a new (and hopefully much improved) platform out soon?
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Last edited by Raven; 05-03-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

As a long time N95 8GB and an Iphone 3g user, i can say with some experience that both fit ok in my jeans pocket, both leave a bulge but one is not better than another in this department. Can we now get on with the important bit discussing the N97 features.

I belive in keeping my options open when it comes to phones and will be getting the N97, Palm Pre (when available) and the next generation Iphone (if available this year).

For me the N97 is the closest thing to my Psion 5 outside the communicator range. I know its not a clamshell but it has a similar look and feel without the bulk of the e90. I like what Nokia are trying to do, combining good quality hardware, with both touch and full keyboard, complimented with improved software and the new widgets. This device has the potential to be the first complete smartphone for me, and im keeping my fingers crossed that nokia can bring it to market quickly with a decent firmware.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 AM

Antoine of MMM is on a distinguished road
Using the accelerometer as a scrolling agent for the browser and multimedia apps would be a good idea, and push the UI/UX piece a bit further. Though, it does get gimmiky if the app isn't designed for it.

That updated browser engine needs to be in *every* S60 device. Nokia is as bad as MS was with IE6 in this respect.

Polish on the software with the N97 really does work for them. It does seem though that in this respect that the N97 might have been released a bit early. Don't know why, other than making folks save up their chips for it (I'm guilty here).

I like the openness of the widgets, and especially the widget competition bringing visibility to the widgets. Nokia could really help that aspect of web dev out a lot, and I'm sure that Yahoo and Google are ready and waiting for their widgets for this and future devices. I only hope that Nokia keeps the firmware synced in respect to the N97 and near-after devices so that a fix to the widget engine can be applied to all, not just a few select models.

Looking forward to your impressions, keep up the great work. I tend to learn a lot from the team here.