All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Unregistered

Can you show search in Music Player

The main problem I had with the Nokia 5800 was the 7 screen navigation to search a song. Can you please please create a video on how the music search work in Music Player application while searching a song in "All Songs" Menu....

Thanks

Old 16-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Unregistered

Give it to me NOW! :-)

I am sooo getting the N8!

After seeing the specs (of course) and the videos that demonstrates how fast and smooth it is, I am sold.

Old 16-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Unregistered

This is a good idea!!! Steve, you could do a post like: Why you should upgrade from ... to N8!
Then you put a lot of phones comparing... like... why should I upgrade from iphone 3GS to N8... this is a really hard question, and I know you have the knowledge to make the answer!

Old 16-06-2010, 10:00 PM

manual_ is on a distinguished road
It's so suprising to see this feature comparison thing done over and over again. And it's even more suprising to see people get excited over the spec sheets.
Especially when one of the Symbian flagships i8910 is a living (sort of proof that even best hardware doesn't make the best product when they are not properly used, wrapped in user friendly software, supported and developed further and so on...
Someone here pointed out that UX is what is most important. I agree with that. I wish reviewers would finally focus on comparing devices in everyday scenarios. Life is about performing and completing tasks (well...not only about that. Phones are supposed to help us in completing real-life tasks. Make reviews task oriented, not specs oriented.
How fast and how easy can the tasks be completed? That is what I would like to see measured. That would truly show how capable the hardware-software combination really is. MHz or Mpix do not show that.
I think this "longest feature list" / "biggest number" mania is what obviously plagues manufacturers. The bigger the numbers that describe the product, the better it is - seems to be the thinking behind decisions that influence final designs. This is utterly wrong. What's worse customers eagerly join this megahertz-megapixel-megawhatever;] race and believe that, say, 14mpix is better than 8mpix or that 1GHz CPU will perform better than 600MHz.
Everyone should do some reality check and thoroughly test the device in real-life use cases. And create the device that is truly and seamlessly integrated - with life. That will be the winner.

Old 16-06-2010, 10:45 PM
brower

i8910 HD firmware

hi Steve!

Have you tried the HX V5? Is very better than V4. you sould try it now. ;P

Old 16-06-2010, 11:49 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Surely a feature when shelling out hundreds of pounds for a phone should be the ability to update the OS (not minor service packs).

You can (generally) upgrade Android.

You can (generally) go to the latest version of iPhone OS (for a price sometimes).

But Nokia have no history and there has been no mention of upgrades to the next major release of Symbian (E71 couldn't go to S60 3.2, N97 can't go to Symbian^3, etc).

Top end smartphones (in my opinion) have become too expensive to expect users to upgrade their phone every 12 months, and most subsidised phones are now on 18-24 month contracts. I hate to say it, but if I was paying for one of these phones, I'd be looking for one that could still be running the latest software in 2+ years time, and that's not Nokia.
I pretty much agree with this. I'm rocking an i8910 right now, but if I'm going to shell out $300-$500 for a new smartphone, one of the top things I'll be considering is if it'll offer the next best version of the OS somewhere down the line.

I guess Android/Google has raised expectations, or ruined things if you're a manufacturer, for everyone.

Plus, here in the U.S., I'm getting App Store envy. I wish Nokia would do something about Ovi and their lack of real content. I'm guessing partnering with Amazon or Netflix for HD movie rental downloads is too much to hope for? After all, what are you supposed to do with that HDMI out? I'm betting most of your friends and relatives can only take so much of your 2 minute 'wacky' videos shot on your cell phone.

And if somebody brings up a handful of movie trailers available in the Ovi Store, I think I'm smacking a dude. That's not real content. Those are commercials.

Old 17-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Bulakbuk

Interesting, how can you pitch a soon to released iPhone 4 among the bunch?
I understand that you were able to see and feel and somewhat play with the N8, but is this report conclusive knowing that you haven't truly tapped the N8's full potential?

Again, I can see a tint of bias towards your Sammy, try minimizing your use of the word 'BUT'.

I am not an iPhone fan, but given the hardware and software specs I must admit that Apple outdid themselves leaving the likes of Nokia and the rest to play catch up.

We are yet to see a truly formidable opponent for Apple's beast, no matter how much we like and appreciate our Smartphones, iPhone 4 is an absolute stormer.

I hate to admit it, but Nokia and the gang are biting Apple's dust.

Tacsiyapo!!!

Old 17-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Unregistered

Satio camera much better

Don't agree with your score on the camera front. The exposed camera glass in the N8 vs. the Satio's covered lens should have won this for the Satio easily, particular as they're both amazing 12 mega-pixel sensors.

Old 17-06-2010, 04:01 AM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
Erm... How can N8's 256 MB ram be called 'plenty' while HTC Desire's 584 MB is just adequate?

SEcondly, while I have never tried N8, the Desire is faster than ALL the other devices listed.

And as one reader said above, Nokia NEVER upgrade the OS on their devices unlike HTC and Apple. Firmware updates are different.

Old 17-06-2010, 07:42 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
Erm... How can N8's 256 MB ram be called 'plenty' while HTC Desire's 584 MB is just adequate?

SEcondly, while I have never tried N8, the Desire is faster than ALL the other devices listed.

And as one reader said above, Nokia NEVER upgrade the OS on their devices unlike HTC and Apple. Firmware updates are different.
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Android *needs* more memory than Symbian. That Symbian devices can happily work with less ram (ie. N95 with 64mb, N95 8gig with 128mb, 5230/etc with 128mb) is a well known fact, and that the N8 doubling that is definitely plenty.

Nope, Nokia haven't (so far) given major OS updates, but they have added a lot of features - A2DP added to the N73, N86 got face recognition, 5230/5800 got full kinetic scrolling.

Oh, and how can you say the desire is faster than all the other devices when you haven't tried them

Old 17-06-2010, 07:45 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Don't agree with your score on the camera front. The exposed camera glass in the N8 vs. the Satio's covered lens should have won this for the Satio easily, particular as they're both amazing 12 mega-pixel sensors.
Satio with a typically small phone type sensor is not necessarily equal to a sensor thats considerably larger though, is it?

Recessed, with heavily toughened glass should be more than adequate.

Heck, I've got a Panasonic FT-1, thats also got no lens cover. If I get a chance, I should try to do a comparison to the step daughters Satio, and I'm willing to bet that the Panasonic will do a considerably better job than the Satio.
Ads

Old 17-06-2010, 07:54 AM

jb8967 is on a distinguished road
N8 AMOLED size

I too was surprised that Nokia chose a 3.5 inch AMOLED for the N8. I do understand that Nokia may be trying to squeeze the iPhone 4 between the N8 and the N9, and that a 3.5 inch may have helped in this effort for cost reasons. But I would've gone with a 3.7 inch screen for the N8 and 4 inch or larger for the N9. Leaving AMOLED 3.5 in. for the E7, X7, C7. By doing so, Nokia may have also found a little more room in the N8 for a larger battery (>1300MaH) and possibly dual LED for video lighting. Yes, a little heavier, but I think that might've been better from a portfolio perspective. Maybe Nokia wanted to streamline the specs and get a larger critical mass of 3.5 in screens for supply chain reasons....but the portfolio would've been better served with N series differentiation bumped up even more. JMO. I still love the N8 as a device. It really is well done. Now they just need some professional PR people in the USA to sell the damn thing.

Old 17-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Unregistered

whats new, i like: + bluetooth 3.0 (will surely be relevant in 2011)
+ connect usb-on-the-go!

whats not hot, i dislike: - its 3.5" w/ 16:9 ratio screen is smaller than 3.5 iphone. how i wish they are wider like iphone (sweet spot) or at least make it 3.7."
- physical design and color is more youth-oriented. i wish its all-age friendly like iphone or htc desire (yeah, they are pricier but still..)
- being 1st symbian^3 phone, that would make n8 buyers as "certified" symbian3 beta testers for detecting early bugs and complains.
- ??? if the UI will be as snappy as iOS or android 2.2..or will be slow and boring?

Old 17-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
whats new, i like: + bluetooth 3.0 (will surely be relevant in 2011)
+ connect usb-on-the-go!

whats not hot, i dislike: - its 3.5" w/ 16:9 ratio screen is smaller than 3.5 iphone. how i wish they are wider like iphone (sweet spot) or at least make it 3.7."
- physical design and color is more youth-oriented. i wish its all-age friendly like iphone or htc desire (yeah, they are pricier but still..)
- being 1st symbian^3 phone, that would make n8 buyers as "certified" symbian3 beta testers for detecting early bugs and complains.
- ??? if the UI will be as snappy as iOS or android 2.2..or will be slow and boring?
I disagree regarding the screen. I think the 16:9 format is genius, the iPhone aspect ratio is terrible and looks dumb, esspecially when set head to head with a 16:9 nHD screen.

Does the silver or dark gray N8 look "youth"-oriented? I don't think so. The silver is my favorite.

According to Nokia themselves, the N8 will NOT be released until the software is READY! They have indeed learned their lesson.

Symbian^3 UI is snappy, smooth and very fast. Haven't you seen the N8 videos?

Old 17-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
one good point is that steve jobs in his presentation did compared iphone4 os with android , rim but he didnt mentioned symbian but he simply said others and he knows nokia and its pet need not to be cared with the horrific mistake done with n97 nokia will never make to the top three thats for sure
You're looking at it from the wrong direction. Nokia has a very low presence in the States and when it is thought of it is generally as the manufacturer of low end phones. If Jobs were to mention them it would only be giving them free publicity and suggesting to iPhone buyers there was another option. Something he most definitely would not want to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
Erm . . .What's the difference? Apple just call their firmware updates an OS update. It's all smoke, mirrors and magic numbers

Having said all that, I still suspect I am going to hang on to my i8910 until Symbian 4 phones appear. Hyperex and the other cookers have really transformed this phone.