All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 31-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Mobile web use now both function rich and looking to compete with the desktop

One of the more interesting numbers I came across this weekend was in regards to the use of Facebook. With over 500 million members, some 30% of them are accessing the site through a mobile device. Which means that 150 million people are not using the desktop web interface for the social network site. How long until the majority of users around the world are from mobile handsets?

Read on in the full article.

Old 31-08-2010, 11:42 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Not too far I guess. I can easily render the desktop version of Facebook with all its features (minus flash of course) on a Opera Mobile installed on my n97 mini. And it works just the same - liking a post, commenting, overlay windows, accessing apps on FB, etc.
Ads

Old 31-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
I still use the FB widget on my phone most of the time. Occasionally, I will use Skyfire to use any features unavailable via the widget.

In general, I am beginning to surf more often on my phone than on my PC because my PC takes 5 minutes to turn on while my phone is on all the time.

Old 31-08-2010, 06:09 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post

In general, I am beginning to surf more often on my phone than on my PC because my PC takes 5 minutes to turn on while my phone is on all the time.
Which is why iPads are brilliant. Bewildering how it took another Apple device to show the rest of the market a viable product category.

Old 31-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Which is why iPads are brilliant. Bewildering how it took another Apple device to show the rest of the market a viable product category.
I've heard mixed opinions on the usefulness of the iPad. Some people find it useful. Others feel that the iPhone 4 makes the iPad obsolete. I guess it just depends on how good your eyes are.

There's going to be a number new tablet offerings available soon. I'll wait to see if any are worth spending a few hundred bucks for another device to bridge laptops and smartphones.