All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 18-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

you still don get it. He doesnt want a flightmode, he wants that the phone only connects to the internet when he wants it, especially when there is no free wifi.

Old 18-08-2010, 03:55 PM
_fakefur

@unregistered - ummmm actually yes i do get it ... i was trying to be polite by asking very carefully if the specific functionality of turning off 3G radio and turning off wif is there as it is stock android and i cannot for the life of me imagine a company purposefully removing such functionality

i have never heard anyone report such a thing with *any* android handset on *any* android (or tech) forums / websites

therefore i am reasonably sure that ewan has simply not found the controls he is looking for and (as i said previously) was just trying to be polite

as opposed to being a jerk like you are being

Old 18-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
If you guys REALLY want to review a budget Android phone, you'd be looking at the HTC Wildfire.

Old 18-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
If you guys REALLY want to review a budget Android phone, you'd be looking at the HTC Wildfire.
HTC Wildfire, pay as you go (Orange and O2)... £229
ZTE Racer, pay as you go (Three)... £100
Nokia 5230, pay as you go (Virgin)... £80

That's why it's the Racer, this is sepcifcially a BUDGET smartphone. £230 is NOT a budget/low tier device.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 18-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by _fakefur View Post
@unregistered - ummmm actually yes i do get it ... i was trying to be polite by asking very carefully if the specific functionality of turning off 3G radio and turning off wif is there as it is stock android and i cannot for the life of me imagine a company purposefully removing such functionality

i have never heard anyone report such a thing with *any* android handset on *any* android (or tech) forums / websites

therefore i am reasonably sure that ewan has simply not found the controls he is looking for and (as i said previously) was just trying to be polite

as opposed to being a jerk like you are being
Either a) the control is so well hiden after three weeks it's still hiding from me, or b) it's not there. Lets have a look at the quick action bar (no 3g toggle here) or in the Data/network settings...

After that last screen I can disable roaming ant national or international level...switch between GSM and GSM+WCDMA and choose the network operator (in this case Threee 3G).

I'll continue to go with b) but would love to be proved wrong.

Old 18-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Gabeuk is on a distinguished road
Newer devices remain in attached state from the point of view of the 3G network, but are not active. It's sometimes called "fast dormancy" and is a feature that's become popular. This doesn't use much battery and enables a faster bearer set-up (time to connect) when you do want one. iPhone and N900 work like this.

What the ZTE device does I have no idea.

Old 18-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

GabeUK, what I do know is that without a 3rd party tweak to disconnect the 3G, the ZTE really eats battery - so even if it is using this low power idle, it still hurst the performance - and battery life is noticed at this end ofthe market - there's no forgiveness as there is with £500 devices because "you're paying for the CPU and GPU" in the battery performance.

Old 18-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
HTC Wildfire, pay as you go (Orange and O2)... £229
ZTE Racer, pay as you go (Three)... £100
Nokia 5230, pay as you go (Virgin)... £80

That's why it's the Racer, this is sepcifcially a BUDGET smartphone. £230 is NOT a budget/low tier device.
Fair enough, but from a review standpoint, why would you WANT to review the absolute scraping-the-bottom-of-the-barrel-throwaway type devices?

Where's the fun in that?

In the U.S., we also have free phones that carriers give away on contract, usually LG or Samsung cheap, plastic, qwerty slider, dumb-phones that break after three months.

I'd rather just pay a bit more and get something decent that I'll be happy with for, say, 1-2 years.

Sure, I get that the ZTE Racer is sporting Android, and is not a dumbphone, while it's also competing with Symbian phones in its price point, but my point about cheap devices holds. Just pay a bit more and get something nicer. The old adage: you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Jimmy1; 18-08-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Ads

Old 18-08-2010, 04:59 PM

user47alpha is on a distinguished road
@_fakefur: Sorry, I didn't wanted to be unpolite but your questions didn't show that you got it. Flightmode is one completely different thing.

@Jummy1: You have to compare comparable things. You can compare a Wildfire with a Symbian Smartphone but then you would need tot take the C6 f.e.
Thats a whole different comparrison but still: Could you guys do such a comparison please?

Old 18-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Jimmy1,

Short answer, because this is where the next-gen operating system marketshare battle will be won

Discussed in part one here and in a lot of depth here.

Old 18-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post

In the U.S., we also have free phones that carriers give away on contract, usually LG or Samsung cheap, plastic, qwerty slider, dumb-phones that break after three months.

I'd rather just pay a bit more and get something decent that I'll be happy with for, say, 1-2 years.

Sure, I get that the ZTE Racer is sporting Android, and is not a dumbphone, while it's also competing with Symbian phones in its price point, but my point about cheap devices holds. Just pay a bit more and get something nicer. The old adage: you get what you pay for.
Your point doesn't really hold. If you get what you pay for, the £229 phone wins. You might as well read two seperate reviews and compare them in your own mind.

My iPhone was free on contract. Comparing them because they are free isn't really relevant either.

Old 18-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

There is a likely reason why you can't turn off the 3G on the ZTE Racer unlike most other Android phones. Which network is it on and do they have a 2G network? Simples.

Old 18-08-2010, 05:50 PM
netborn

Ewan,

I really think that android mail is way better than Nokia´s (stock or Nokia Messaging), BUT the problem with android is if you need Exchange support.

Android fans will tell you that there is no problem or that you can use Touchdown (not free) or Roadsync (not free), the truth is that still there are not Exchange solution reliable for Android. Froyo promised to solve this, but you can easily browse XDA Developers site to find that almost all (high ends also) android phones suffer.

Exchange support and Nokia Maps are why I am still using a symbian device, Exchange mail is crucial for me, so for now Nokia wins there.

Old 18-08-2010, 05:57 PM

talhamid is on a distinguished road
Because android is fragmented

Wow, a bit rich coming from a symbian fan! At least android apps run accross all phones running the same os version. With symbian an app working at all is a cause for celebration. That said I think 5230 is the best symbian device to date in terms of value for money and Really defines what anyone should pay for the experience

Old 18-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhamid View Post
Because android is fragmented

Wow, a bit rich coming from a symbian fan! At least android apps run accross all phones running the same os version. With symbian an app working at all is a cause for celebration. That said I think 5230 is the best symbian device to date in terms of value for money and Really defines what anyone should pay for the experience
As an Android user I can tell you that this notion that apps work across all phones with the same OS version is a plain lie. You can look in the market for yourself and see the app descriptions telling you which phones are excluded - even for same OS version. And I've seen several apps where the display doesn't fit the screen. And even more that just don't work. All from the Android market.

But that's OK, it's Android. It's allowed to be shit.