All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 24-07-2010, 02:10 AM
KPO'M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think you are wrong mate. That might be the case a couple of years back but not anymore. I don't have the data to prove this admitedly, but what I see around me says you're wrong. You're underestimating the people buying these cheap phones. I see a lot of kids and students using cheap symbian touchscreens for web browsing. Most of them know it's a smartphone, I actually asked a lot of them that question. They know what they're holding is different than the SE walkman phones or any S40 devices they used to own. And they asked me how they can buy apps. Sadly though ovi store is not an option as most don't have credit cards. So they buy some crap java stuffs sold through their respective telcos website as that's the only option they have. And they look for cracked softwares as they have no means of obtaining legal copies, which I think is sad. Don't underestimate people who buy cheap phones. A lot of them know why they're buying 'em. A lot of those who don't, eventually realize they've bought something that's different than what they had previously , and begin to realize what a smartphone is ( I was in this situation once upon a time ). And the others, just plain don't care, but I don't believe they make up the majority from what I've seen. To hell with what the 'experts' are saying, look around, I mean REALLY LOOK AROUND. Come to any part of east Asia, and have a look. You are wrong..
Even if we stipulate that your assumption is correct, that still doesn't bode well for Nokia. It suggests that their phones are the cheap substitutes for more profitable iPhone, Android, or even RIM models. A few years ago, Nokia had compelling offerings at all market segments (low, mid-range, high). Now they have compelling low and mid-range models, but lack a compelling high-end phone. Plus, the mid range is shrinking. Again, a lot is riding on the N8, as well as the first Symbian^4 and MeeGo phones. If Nokia hits it out of the park, then they may experience a resurgence. If they don't, they risk becoming a purveyor of commodities. It's the GM syndrome. Once they had compelling offerings in all segments. Then they ceded the high-end to European and Asian manufacturers. Then Asian manufacturers started attacking them in the mid-range. Throughout all this, GM maintained a high overall market share, but had much lower profit margins.

Old 24-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO'M View Post
Plenty of "dumbphones" can take pictures and navigate. Isn't Nokia Maps also available for S40? In any case, I wouldn't call them defining characteristics of smartphones.
The analysts do however. If you have an issue with that write to them and try to get the definitions changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manual_
Are you serious about all of those? Please compare browsing experience or apps on Symbian and much hated iPhone or (less hated) Android. You seem to compare raw feature list as many people fiercely defending Symbian do. This is wrong. This does not do any justice to the actual experience user has.
And your point is...?

It's still a smartphone.
Ads

Old 24-07-2010, 02:59 PM
KPO'M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
The analysts do however. If you have an issue with that write to them and try to get the definitions changed.
The same analysts who, along with the market, have pushed Nokia's stock below $10 over the past two years? Maybe analysts do consider them smartphones, but they obviously aren't impressed with Nokia's smartphone sales.

Anyway, since "analysts" don't consider S40 phones to be smartphones, perhaps navigation and taking pictures aren't defining characteristics of smartphones, but part of the minimum requirements.

Also, whether or not a phone is technically a smartphone doesn't change its selling price, which is whatever the market will bear. Nokia may push out smartphones to feature phone buyers because it can. That doesn't mean those buyers will ever graduate to Nokia's more expensive lines, or that they will purchase Ovi services or other revenue-enhancing services. That's been Nokia's biggest problem lately.

Old 24-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO'M View Post
The same analysts who, along with the market, have pushed Nokia's stock below $10 over the past two years? Maybe analysts do consider them smartphones, but they obviously aren't impressed with Nokia's smartphone sales.
Agreed. They still count them though.

Quote:
Anyway, since "analysts" don't consider S40 phones to be smartphones, perhaps navigation and taking pictures aren't defining characteristics of smartphones, but part of the minimum requirements.
Don't know, you would need to ask them. Generally the ability to install third party software features in there though. Point is the current definition covers everything from the iPhone 4 to the Nokia 6760.

Quote:
Also, whether or not a phone is technically a smartphone doesn't change its selling price, which is whatever the market will bear. Nokia may push out smartphones to feature phone buyers because it can. That doesn't mean those buyers will ever graduate to Nokia's more expensive lines, or that they will purchase Ovi services or other revenue-enhancing services. That's been Nokia's biggest problem lately.
Absolutely. Nokia have no realistic high end presence at the moment. On the other hand Ovi seems to be growing at a pretty impressive rate so, yeah, they might.