All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 13-07-2010, 07:17 PM
slitchfield slitchfield is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,002
slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Samsung i8910 HD gets HX7 and complete customisation

For those following the HX firmware saga on the otherwise neglected Samsung i8910 HD (aka 'Omnia HD'), note that the much-anticipated HX7 firmware just went live. Among many other little fixes and tying up loose ends, HX7 offers a custom utility to let you adjust a mountain of interface settings on the fly, without having to mess around with patch files and extra SISx installs.

Read on in the full article.

  #2  
Old 13-07-2010, 07:58 PM
fbloise fbloise is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 24
fbloise is on a distinguished road
Unhappy wish this could be available in n97 mini or 5800

wish this could be available in n97 mini or 5800... just a thought.

  #3  
Old 13-07-2010, 09:05 PM
mCrem mCrem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 49
mCrem is on a distinguished road
I'm still on HX2, apart from the last 3 bullet points and the forced 600mhz speed, I really don't see the need to update, especially after what I saw on that video, it seems to have made the phone worse in terms of UI speed, everything is lagging..

  #4  
Old 13-07-2010, 09:15 PM
UKJeeper UKJeeper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Essex
Posts: 321
UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mCrem View Post
I'm still on HX2, apart from the last 3 bullet points and the forced 600mhz speed, I really don't see the need to update, especially after what I saw on that video, it seems to have made the phone worse in terms of UI speed, everything is lagging..
Nice thing about the i8910 roms is that (unlike other Symbian devices...) if you don't like the newer firmware, you can go back to another version you like.

Perhaps you should at least try it first. I've had HX5 for a while and really like it.

  #5  
Old 13-07-2010, 09:54 PM
iFanboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wow that's seriously impressive! Samsung need to hire this man and ASAP!

Shame Symbian phones don't have these features as standard, and that it isn't easy to do as my friend with an i8910Hd doesn't know what he's missing because "It's too complicated and time consuming" to change the firmware, he hasn't even updated it from when he first bought it, gallery duplication bug n all :-/


If only it was made as easy as jailbreaking/rooting...

  #6  
Old 13-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFanboy View Post
Wow that's seriously impressive! Samsung need to hire this man and ASAP!

Shame Symbian phones don't have these features as standard, and that it isn't easy to do as my friend with an i8910Hd doesn't know what he's missing because "It's too complicated and time consuming" to change the firmware, he hasn't even updated it from when he first bought it, gallery duplication bug n all :-/


If only it was made as easy as jailbreaking/rooting...
Samsung doesn't give a sh*t about any of the phones they sold. They couldn't care less about what this guy's doing. If I were Nokia I'd hire this guy NOW!!!

  #7  
Old 13-07-2010, 10:39 PM
stuclark's Avatar
stuclark stuclark is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,575
stuclark is on a distinguished road
The main point about HX7 (and what Steve needs to mention in the article) is that the HX Patcher program allows a user to change a multitude of settings ON THE FLY, without rebooting the phone.

No other Symbian handset, from ANY manufacturer, allows this level of customisation!

  #8  
Old 13-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Jimmy1 Jimmy1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 113
Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Samsung doesn't give a sh*t about any of the phones they sold. They couldn't care less about what this guy's doing. If I were Nokia I'd hire this guy NOW!!!
You're right, Samsung really doesn't give a crap about the post sales support for phones they sell. To them, it's like selling one of their lines of toasters or blenders, which is why although I like my i8910, it'll be my last Samsung smartphone.

They do make great HDTVs though, even better than Sony. I'll give them that.

  #9  
Old 14-07-2010, 02:37 AM
InZain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbloise View Post
wish this could be available in n97 mini or 5800... just a thought.
The "tsunami" HS has been available on the 5800 and N97m for many months. The Samsung widget HS has been ported to the 5800 as well.

  #10  
Old 14-07-2010, 05:33 AM
malerocks's Avatar
malerocks malerocks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 644
malerocks is on a distinguished road
WOW! I dont think any phone out there has been supported this well by anybody... Kudos!
Ads

  #11  
Old 14-07-2010, 03:17 PM
clonmult clonmult is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 454
clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by InZain View Post
The "tsunami" HS has been available on the 5800 and N97m for many months. The Samsung widget HS has been ported to the 5800 as well.
And as I've just found, the 5230 as well.

Whilst the i8910 had the lead in patching, it seems as though the rest of the symbian community is starting to catch up. Although with lesser hardware to play with, the results won't be quite as nice'n'shiny.

  #12  
Old 22-07-2010, 11:48 AM
overthereinabox overthereinabox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
overthereinabox is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Dialler, anyone?

I can't find the dialler - how can I make a call if I don't have a contact saved?

Is this an embarassing oversight, or am I making a schoolboy error??

  #13  
Old 22-07-2010, 11:58 AM
UKJeeper UKJeeper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Essex
Posts: 321
UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by overthereinabox View Post
I can't find the dialler - how can I make a call if I don't have a contact saved?

Is this an embarassing oversight, or am I making a schoolboy error??

Go into Menu, then press the call button. Happened to me too.

  #14  
Old 23-07-2010, 12:24 PM
overthereinabox overthereinabox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
overthereinabox is on a distinguished road
Thanks UKJeeper, that's brilliant - you got me out of a hole!

 

Bookmarks

Tags
complete, customisation, hx7, i8910, samsung

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy