All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Pimping the Nokia N82

Here's the latest in my series about taking older, classic (2008 or before) hardware and finding out how far it can be taken to work to best effect in the modern day. You'll have seen the features on the Nokia E61i and E90 - now here's Pimping the Nokia N82 - a quirkily styled candybar that sat at the top of Nokia's hardware tree for ages - and in some ways still does.

Read on in the full article.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 AM

vyomashar is on a distinguished road
Awesome Steve

Thank you very much Steve for this Post I am the most happiest person to read this from you.

I bought it back in January 2009 (Black) and still use it as my primary phone

I cant find any phone matching N82 in terms of Camera, RAM, Robustness (nothing to break) etc, though i have problems with the rice scheme keypad but thats ok, i use a 8GB SDHC card in it and think it needs a hard-reset once in 3 months or so (atleast for me as i keep installing and uninstalling several apps) Hopefully my next upgrade should be N8 (if it lives up to the mark).

and for the themes icon there is a trick posted here:

http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/soft...icon-back.html

which perfectly works well and no need to install theme launcher.

Thanks Again Steve
Ads

Old 01-06-2010, 08:02 AM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Sure wish Nokia could release a "new" N82. The N8 is nice, but I'm not fond of touchscreens and will therefore not get it. I really like the E52 keypad, so if it was like the E52 and just thicker so a better camera and xenon would fit, I would have my dream device!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Dhruv Bhutani

Faithful N82 User

Hi Steve,

I pretty much agree with whatever you've said. I still use my N82 as a backup device along with whatever review device i have on hand. The camera on this thing cant be beat for night time photography.

I love using it as a GPS navigation unit for the simple reason that it has an amazing GPS unit in it.

It is also my music player of choice.

Regarding the screen brightness issue, i dont know why you weren't able to hack it because i could do it easily. However after a hard reset , i have found another solution.

Download this utility called LightCtrl. It is a freeware application. Using this app you can reach the full brightness of the N82 screen. All N82 users should try this because that screen looks wonderful on full brightness.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Unregistered

Talking

OMG! mine is so usable daily (texts & calls and occasional macro photography)...but then i'm a simple man with simple wants......N8! bring it on!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@Dhruv: Yes, nice idea to use this utility, but on my device at least, it varies the brightness quite dramatically while you're using the phone - disconcerting to say the least! Would be nice if this could up the brightness to max and maintain it in all apps and games....

Old 01-06-2010, 09:05 AM

j d is on a distinguished road
I'm still hanging on to my n82, it does make a good backup for when my n97 (frequently) goes wrong.

I personally don't want to swap my sims around, but i am on the look out for cool (non-phone) use cases for the n82. So far i've come up with:
  • Pairing it with a sim card from a mobile broadband dongle (for cheaper data in australia) and joikuspot.
  • Using the sequence mode on the camera app to create stop motion movies
  • Using it as gps logger for geotagging photos taken on a standalone camera

Anybody got any better ones?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Unregistered

hello sieve

I curios what was your first impression for N82 at the very first time

Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Regular visitor

Wow Steve..great article of a great phone!

I think I'd share the story of my N82. It's still my #1 phone, even though I'm really interested to find out what the N8 has to offer especially in terms of camera quality. N8 just might be the replacement for my good old 82 but I'm also a bit eager to see what the Maemo/Meego world has to offer.

Unlike you Steve, I was able to get Ovi Maps 3.1 working on my N82. I fought for days with the official Ovi Maps 3 installer, but lost. Then I did the same as you did with the dev certificate & helloox2 and got my phone cracked open. Then I tried a unofficial, unsigned, cracked version of Ovi Maps, signed with the developer certificate it installed right away!! It has worked flawlessly for months now and free (cracked) navigation saved me the couple of euros.

Battery life is one really disappointing feature of my phone. It still last nicely for a few days in light usage, but shooting a video or many photos even with freshly loaded battery ofter drains it out in a minute. Strangely, after reboot the battery is displayed full again and it may last just fine the rest of the day. I just hope this is just a problem with the old battery and not the hardware (like xenon flash capacitor) failing.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Regular visitor

Talking

Oh, and the retirement plans for my N82:

Onboard an RC plane capturing high(ish) quality geotagged air photos. 8)
The built-in camera has this great burst mode to take photos every 10 or 30 seconds as long as the card is full. If only I could set a bit shorter delay, like 3 or 5 seconds...

My dream app would be one that I could remotely control (over 3G) to capture photos or videos and could maybe even stream down some real-time video from the phone on-board. Anyone developed a Symbian phone based autopilot for RC planes yet?
..N82 covers pretty much everything except gyros (GPS, 3G/GSM-data link, outputs, cameras and easy programmability).

Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular visitor View Post

My dream app would be one that I could remotely control (over 3G) to capture photos or videos and could maybe even stream down some real-time video from the phone on-board. Anyone developed a Symbian phone based autopilot for RC planes yet?
..N82 covers pretty much everything except gyros (GPS, 3G/GSM-data link, outputs, cameras and easy programmability).
Hmmmm, [thoughtfully stroking imaginary beard on chin] I like the remote camera idea - many other possible uses for that. I will have to see if there is an API barrier to that. A phone autopilot will need gyros and an interface input from the gyros, output to servos, beyond me. I can see you planning a self guided missile system based on Symbian there.

My idea. I invented it. It's a Flaming MOE.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hmmmm, [thoughtfully stroking imaginary beard on chin] I like the remote camera idea - many other possible uses for that. I will have to see if there is an API barrier to that. A phone autopilot will need gyros and an interface input from the gyros, output to servos, beyond me. I can see you planning a self guided missile system based on Symbian there.

My idea. I invented it. It's a Flaming MOE.
Hahah... Some USB gyro unit and feedback to plane radio via 3,5mm. Sounds doable Even wilder thought: WLAN and the modern digital RC radios both operate at 2,4Ghz. Ok, a bit of a long shot..

But aren't there some news about new phones also including gyros for gesture control? Are they fast and precise enough for an RC plane, that's another story.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Unregistered

After installing ovi maps 3.1 gps cannot lock on its own (without A-GPS).

Old 01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
anonym

Hi Steve

Well I'm very glad for Your post about the Nokia N82... I've been using one myself for several years now, and have not until now found a decent replacement for it. Althoug I've had several other smartphones - including iPhone 3g - Nokia 5800 and others...
But Steve I don't understand why You could not install Ovi Maps on Your N82... I've had no problems installing and running Ovi Maps 3.01 - and I've got from Nokia's official Ovi Maps homepage...???

But besides for navigation (I have TomTom + Sygic + Ovi Maps + Google Maps loaded on it all the time!) I use it as a replacement for my iPod and listen to lots of Podcasts and radio, watch YouTube videos and briowse the Internet in Opera Mini.
But I also use it for heavy texting in OfficeSuite - with the help of Nokia SU-8W keyboard - and for reading offline html pages in iSilo...
For storing passwords i use HandySafe, and for my grocery list I use Odysseus, and StopWatch for timing events (cooking eggs) but the single best application must be Papyrus as a replacement for the built-in calender!
As You can see I'm totally dedicated to my N82... and the single best feature in my opinion is the camera/xenon flash.
I also have a E71, and if only Nokia would take that form factor and keyboard and build a N82 camera in this body I would by it NOW!
I know the N8 is comming, but I'm not so fond of touch devices... so I'll have to wait and hope!

Best regards

Jens Ole Jepsen (Denmark)

Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 PM

suyogmh is on a distinguished road
Nice post about my Best phone ever

@Steve, very good article as always. Thanks for taking up N82.
I hope Nokia listens and do something.
Really wonder why Nokia never came up with "real" successor of N82. I had mine for over 2 years, black version. Used n Abused it. It made me real smart user.
Sold it 2 days back as I was getting great deal for it even after 2 years
Fantastic all rounder, Camera, GPS, WiFi all rolled into indestructible body, mine took many falls including one from over 30 feet while climbing in hills.

One thing I liked about N82 was accessories that came with it. TV out cable which Nokia doesnt put in nowdays. I have kept this for myself when I sold N82.
I also liked bundled headsets HS-43, far far better design with symmetry, equal load and great way to detach in case of excess load.I don't know why Nokia Designers are not making such headset designs and going with very odd ( one short and other longer pair).

Nokia should continue making such simple candybars without touchscreen, there ARE many many people who want that. Not all want touchscreens.

Overall winner N82, I really hope(almost knowing that won't happen) Nokia should release N83.