All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 09-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
A Nokia N82 love story - hard to replace?

Although not a hard core phone blogger, Nitish Kumar has produced a very well written (I'll forgive the mispelling of Xenon!) treatise on the Nokia N82, on why he chose it originally and on how it's hard to replace, even today in 2010, three years after release. The AAS N82 is also still going strong - though the 2.4" screen is looking like the sticking point for me nowadays. Comments?

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Thunder4Chris

N82 Rocks!

Athough I've got a N900 now, I still use my good old N82 every day, is good with navigation, and camera with xenon flash is the best cam on a phone for me.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Unregistered

You know why its hard to replace still after 3years? That's cuz Nokia has fallen asleep since then!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 AM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
I just can't understand why Nokia haven't released a newer candybar with xenon flash.

The keypad from E52, battery from E52, the camera from N86, a xenon flash and a solid metal build quality, and I would have my perfect device for years to come. They would probably be able to make it thinner than 15mm too, which is nice.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Unregistered

This says more about Nokia than about N82...

Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Unregistered

The N82 is simply the best phone I've ever used and I've used plenty. It's still my trustworthy, reliable daily device. Nokia made a fundamental error in removing Xenon since then. Better UIs on later models (including iPhones, Androids etc) do not make up for the clear superiority of the N82 in all other areas.

Anyway all is about to be forgiven as if rumours are right, in a week or so Nokia will announce what is currently codenamed the N8 (or N8-00). Google the specs, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on multiple fronts

Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 AM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
I agree this says more about Nokia's inability to improve on a winner. Because of navigation, a larger screen and a couple of other apps, I find myself between my N82 and a 5800. I don't like being 'between'. I have yet to spend more money on a touchscreen device because I have yet to find one with a camera good enough, because CorePlayer and Nokia Internet Radio apps do not run on S60 5th ed., and because, well, I have never had a memory issue with my N82! I stay with Nokia in general, for the moment, because of Skype and a true offline mapping solution.

Yes, the N82 is a great phone but in three years Nokia should have improved on it. I think they got a little lost in the touchscreen catchup game - but why couldn't they have taken an N82, dropped the weak keyboard and made it touchscreen - really, a N82 in a 5800 shell would keep me quiet for a while longer...

Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

I too, have hardly had any memory problems with my N82. Mine is hacked, so that I can change the ugly default folder icons, giving me 12 lovely folders to sort all my apps. I change the font, font size, and use vHome for better and more functional homescreen. Most themes run perfectly without conflict. I have call recorder and blacklist running most times, together with track and protect, and active lock. I run nimbuzz/skype and nokia messaging. I can then launch the music player, or podcast, or internet radio, then surf the web, or launch nokia/google maps, or play various games (n-gage, quake, quake 2, quake 3, vbagx, etc), or use the camera, and 99% of the time, I wouldn't face any problems whatsoever. Would I be able to do these sort of customization that eats up ram, and run most of these apps on my beloved 5800, or for that matter the flagship N97, N97 mini, X6, E72, N86 at any one time without a hitch? I hardly think so..well at least on my 5800, not a chance whatsoever. My gps works superb. A-gps is disabled, and I usually have no problems getting a lock within a minute. My 16gb mem card is about 80% full, camera's good, music quality's good, the plastic body is very robust. The N82 at firmware v31, is very very stabil, and an extremely powerful device that is worth every single penny I spent on it.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

No feature should be missing in a top-of-the-line model !

If we ignore IrDA, I believe that when the N82 came out, it had all the features it could possibly have.

These days, I suspect no Nokia phone fills that place in the lineup of (possible) models. Sure, some phones have new features, introduced since the N82, but where's the HW-accelerated OpenGL 3D ? Where's the Xenon ? etc.

Nokia need to make a true top-of-the-line phone (with all possible features) before I'll consider replacing my N82.

Erling Jacobsen
linuxcub@email.dk

Old 09-04-2010, 04:49 PM

dlff is on a distinguished road
I bought my N82 in May '08. The thing I dislike about the N82 is the keypad. It reminds me of the SE W880i. I had passed on to my missus & she is still using it. Sometime last year she managed to crack the LCD & I still do not know how she did it neither does she. Had the LCD changed, SW upgraded to the latest version & is working flawlessly. I am using a SE Vivaz which is just a stop gap measure for me until the new Nokia 12Mp comes out.
Ads

Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

Having Xenon is good but ever since AAS did the review on the Vivaz, I'm leaning the other way and rather have a better low light sensor.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Unregistered

N82

Nokia have got to realise the N82 as still been there Best Camera mobile up to now,an the size of the N82 would be just right for Nokia to place a Touch Screen panel inside the N82 to make it the Nokia N82 touch screen mobile,as it would be like the same size of the 5800,i keep wishing for a better camera mobile from Nokia,an the Rumour of the N8 or Nokia Versco a 12 mega-pixel camera mobile with xenon flash an hope this mobile does get announce soon by Nokia,i only use the Satio because the softwares same as my old Nokia mobiles but want something nowdays really outstanding from Nokia,o.k people might like the N900 but Nokia let this phone down making it to Bulky for me

Old 09-04-2010, 07:09 PM
VoReason

It's clear to me that Steve has started posting more about the N82 and Xenon because he has actually already played with the N8 but is unable to say anything about it due to the NDA he signed.

Steve is using these N82 and Xenon-related posts to build up the fire in Nokia fans so that, next week, when the N8 is announced and Steve's NDA expires, he'll be able to post information on the N8 that will please the Nokia fans who have lost faith in Nokia.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ha! Next week definitely ISN'T right 8-)

Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Unregistered

I agree, I'm not replacing my N82 because it's so good- I do so because there is nothing worthy, out there 2.5 years on. Nokia has really stalled ever since they released the groundbreaking N95.