All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 13-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Proporta USB TurboCharger 3400 vs Powertraveller powermonkey-eXplorer

On the road on his USA gaming and new media trip, Ewan's been power-trialling a couple of accessories. The word 'power' is important here because that's what the Proporta USB TurboCharger 3400 and Powertraveller powermonkey-eXplorer provide - stored power for your smartphone and other electronics. Here are Ewan's on-the-road experiences with the two gadgets.

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

you could also look at Xpal by Energizer. Comes with LED status light, a normal USB and mini USB port. Size is roughly the size of 2 Zippo lighter placed size by size. Capacity a bit low at 2000mah though. Comes with 6 connectors.

Old 13-03-2010, 06:06 PM

jparrot99 is on a distinguished road
Proporta USB Travel Charger - fails with the N97

I have the Proporta USB Travel Charger 3400, and it won't charge my N97. (I know I should return it, but I'm the wrong side of the world.) It starts charging, but after 3 seconds the phone says it's stopped charging. I've had a similar problem with a non-Nokia standard plug in the wall charger. So I expect it's an N97 issue. But aggghh!

Anyone else got this working with the N97 somehow?

Old 13-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The trick is to start the charger powering up by pressing the button etc. Then, when a voltage is established, plug the cable into the N97. Worked for me.

Old 13-03-2010, 06:47 PM

jparrot99 is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot, it will be great to be able to use it finally, my N97 is always running out of battery.

Old 13-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Unregistered

Powermonkey

I've had a powermonkey classic for about four years now, never leave the house without it, anyone at work with a flat phone comes to borrow it, bought a new 'tip' for my N97 when I got it, charges my phone, camera, MP4 Player etc when on holiday or traveling, absolutely fantastic and indispensable bit of kit for anyone, geek or otherwise, unit itself will also charge via old style nokia car charger (input for power monkey power lead exactly the same as 'fat' nokia charger) I would recommend to anyone

Old 14-03-2010, 04:08 AM
Unregistered

Usage

So how do you use the chargers? As in, do you leave it plugged in all the time, or do you wait for your phone's battery to run low before you start charging it?
I have one of these, and I noticed that my phone runs awfully hot if I plug it in while using, for example, when doing GPS nagivation. Kinda gets me worried lol.

Old 14-03-2010, 03:38 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
I have one of each, the Proporta and the Powermonkey. One thing that i do prefer with the Power Monkey is that it can charge and be charged at the same time. Plug it into the wall (or usb) turn it on, and connect your phone. Both will charge. As far as i can tell, the Proporta can't do that.

However, as a 1500MaH battery user (first the E90, now the i8910), the Power Monkey doesn't have quite enough juice to fill the battery all the way back up.

Both great devices. However the Proporta, with its bigger battery, is a similar price.

Old 15-03-2010, 11:36 AM
OzziNL

Angry N97 charging is a pain

I have the pennlight charger (Nokia DC-8) and this has the same problem in combination with the N97. Voltage is to low and it charges only for 3 seconds... :(
Also my solar panel doesn't charge the N97

Old 16-03-2010, 12:32 AM

oscillik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparrot99 View Post
I have the Proporta USB Travel Charger 3400, and it won't charge my N97. (I know I should return it, but I'm the wrong side of the world.) It starts charging, but after 3 seconds the phone says it's stopped charging. I've had a similar problem with a non-Nokia standard plug in the wall charger. So I expect it's an N97 issue. But aggghh!

Anyone else got this working with the N97 somehow?
i had exactly the same problem with the Proporta charger. Tried it with my N900, my E90, my Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD Recorder, and my brother's Nintendo DSi - all would refuse to charge properly.

i got in touch with Proporta and got a replacement unit, but the exact same problem carried on. in the end i opted for the Lil Sync 4400mHa USB charger (you can find it on Expansys) and this works a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
The trick is to start the charger powering up by pressing the button etc. Then, when a voltage is established, plug the cable into the N97. Worked for me.
had i known this i would've tried your trick, but i honestly don't recall seeing this being mentioned in the instructions. if i missed it, then that's my fault of course. but if it isn't, then someone at Proporta needs to get it re-written.
Ads

Old 16-03-2010, 07:54 PM

Digi is on a distinguished road
Just ordered the Proporta USB TurboCharger 3400 - out of stock currently but scheduled to be back in stock by 25th so fingers crossed.

FYI guys, the "Buy Link" you put up for this isnt working (not on firefox anyway)

Old 14-04-2010, 01:11 AM

blade101 is on a distinguished road
A good day to all members.... I am a new member here in this site..... Hope to hear form you....