All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Updated S60 5th Edition client for Nokia Messaging for Email

Nokia has begun the process of rolling out a series of updates for its Nokia Messaging for Email service. The first update available is for the S60 5th Edition Nokia Messaging client. It is available in the SW Update application and Nokia Messaging 10.2. Further updates, including an updated client for S60 3rd Edition device and server side updates will be made available over the next few weeks. Read on for further details.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:16 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
at least they added destination support, because that was very annoying without it.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM

pkwakman is on a distinguished road
Does anybody know if it is still eating valuable C: memory over time?

Old 11-02-2010, 08:33 PM

irm86 is on a distinguished road
3 day limit for storing e mails

Does the new Nokia Email messaging still delete all emails after 3 days (I presume this was to stop it filling up the C drive)?

Although it handles HTML email well I found that having all emails deleted after 3 days made it unusable in practical terms.

The existing s60 5th client allows messages to be kept on mass storage, so allowing the user to choose how long to keep emails.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:05 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
@irm86

Emails kept for about a month now (mine goes back to 14/01) but after that still deleted

@pkwakman

Still bit of a mem hog and I had to uninstall it and re-run the memory organiser after this upgrade as din't seem to release the C: space utilised by the previous version.

It's not perfect and the hogging of C: common to all Nokia's own apps is a cncern as I'm using the under resourced N97 but actually find Nokia Messaging to be a but of a breeze. It's set up really was a breeze (I'm running Gmail - IMAP and Yahoo pop and another pop account) all my a/cs were recogmised and syncd with no grief at all and haven't had problems since some server changes/upgrades over a month ago.

It's not perfect and I suspect if I was using it for more important tasks I would probably have to use the inbuilt client but it does work for me and has one advantage that when I have had to rebuild device twice once after WSOD and failure of Ovi suite to rescue contacts etc and once (well 3 time actually - don't ask) after recent firmware upgrade having a remote server has meant this was the easiest part of the phone to restore.

Also offers interesting first glimpses of what I guess is the new SF^3/ SF^4 maybe look; all this blue circle "meta"tap menu stuff (has just appeared on N97 homescreen in recent firmware try and see, also in OVI maps).

Old 12-02-2010, 06:28 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
Still bit of a mem hog and I had to uninstall it and re-run the memory organiser after this upgrade as din't seem to release the C: space utilised by the previous version.
What's this memory organiser you are referring to?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 AM

sjgore is on a distinguished road
I don't understand all this talk of deleting e-mails after 3 days. The version of Nokia Messaging that I have on my N96 (obtained about 6 months ago through the Application Update tool) has a user setting for this: anywhere between 1 day and 1 month. (Settings > What to Sync > Inbox > Remove older than).

Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 AM

pkwakman is on a distinguished road
The current client for S60 5th edition does not have that user setting any more.

Old 14-02-2010, 10:57 AM

dion is on a distinguished road
I've been trying to get this setup on my Brother's n97 mini and after much frustration and reinstalls. I have yet to be able to get to sign up for a Nokia Push account. After going through the setup wizard I always just end up with the choice of imap or pop, never an option to sign up for Nokia Messaging. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that this is some operator activated setting that has nokia not offering the service for our mobile operator but as it just never says anything I'm not sure. The strange twist is I've had a Push account since the beta service on the same network and it's always worked.

fyi. The operator is Telstra in Australia.

Old 14-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

If you install this client and find that you phone is constantly making connections that you don't want via WiFi or 3G, then go to:

Options -> Tools -> Go Offline.

Took me half an hour to find out what was running down my credit. It does work well as a push client though!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:38 AM

psiegumfeldt is on a distinguished road
Homescreen notification gone

After having updated to this new version I have been running it without problems for almost a month the homescreen notification suddently disappeared on my 5800.

It is like the field is still there and it highlights when i touch the area but is does not show any mails or anything at all. I have tried disabeling/enabeling the e-mail notification in the settings menu, but that did not help. Is anyone having the same problem? Perhaps even found a solution?
Ads