All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-03-2010, 01:38 PM

walmark is on a distinguished road
Hahaha, update firmware, hahaha, good one, Steve!

I'm laughing, cause I hear you guys all updating whenever "it's available", but you don't realize that for some reason Nokia deemed you "privileged" enough to give you update. Most of us humble folks don't get that luxury...

My n97mini has ~48Mb of RAM after boot, and I don't use the ram heavy widgets (Accu, Face). The latest firmware available is still 10.2.020, and it's an unbranded device! (0591930). Heck, Even though the "official" E51 firmware is v400, for my product code the latest one is.... wait for it.... v100! So, great there is a firmware update... also great that Ferrari is having 10% discount! None of these directly concern me....

Last edited by walmark; 12-03-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Old 13-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
And your phones are both network-branded? i.e. bought through Orange or similar?

Old 22-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Unregistered

on my old n95 i used to be able to run tomtom and play mp3's through my bluetooth stereo. when the navigation came on it muted the music and then continued after the directions were spoken. i was looking forward to getting my n97 mini with free ovi maps thinking that they would synchronise and work perfectly together like my old set up. how wrong i was the maps guidence voice volume doesnt seem to want to stay on the same setting and the mp3's keep getting lag even when there's nothing much going on on the guidense front. the main reason for going for the n97 over the iphone was it's multitasking what a farse

Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Unregistered

handy products

it seems that handy products get installed on the fones memory & affects memory big-time

Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Unregistered

Web Link maybe...

Maybe there is something you all miss: what about Nokia trying to use the same old cheap hardware and sell it for good bucks? It wouldn't surprise me if that 434Mhz CPU is the same as the one found in several Nokia phones such as N78, N81, 6220 only overclocked this time. As for the RAM, mid-range devices like 6220c or other Navigators have the same amount. It's only the OS needing more memory, not the applications. You need to think about the touchscreen and how is it managed by the OS, not an application that you can close when no longer using it. So maybe next time you'd buy something cheaper because it can give you better performance for a real use. Take E75 for example, it could replace your N97 if you don't use widgets. And while N97 has 59MB free ram, E75 has almost 80. And of course, try running more applications like a browser, a music player and messaging... Opera Mobile on N97 can't open more than 3-4 tabs and that alone fills your RAM to the point where the phone shows a warning and Opera freezes. So much for multitasking on S60 5th edition. Try running the music player, Opera and sending a message on E75... no problem, it's a done deal. Not to mention other cheaper phones running on the good old 3rd edition that can do just as fine. So frankly speaking, putting the touchscreen and keyboard aside, a Nokia N81 or N76 are quite as capable as the N97 for multitasking. And these are rather old devices. I only hope Nokia would realise that Maemo is their best asset right now and they have to make it work, else they'll just keep pushing their clients towards other brands (e.g. Apple)

Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Unregistered

N97 X6 Ram

Hi,
from what i have noticed they have increased the size of the local ram on both the X6 and the N97 mini to at least 300Meg in the mini and 400meg by the looks in the X6. I have been looking for more info on this change on the net. It would appear this has been kept very quiet by Nokia.

Im guessing its because they dont want people complaining and wanting memory upgrades on their first generation N97.

I would like to hear about this from anyone that may acctually have the technical knowledge to make an informed comment.

Regards,
Tom. funkylogic@yahoo.com
Ads