All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Apple countersues Nokia

In October Nokia announced it was suing Apple over patent infrignements with regards to the iPhone and GSM, UTMS and WLAN technologies. Today Apple announced that it had filed a countersuit against Nokia. In the countersuit, which has been filed in US District Court of Delaware, Apples denies all claims of infringement against it and further alleges that Nokia 'chose to copy the iPhone' and as a result has infringed on 13 of Apple's own patents. Such countersuits are common in patent disputes where each side tries to establish as strong as negotiating position as possible.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Angry Liars !

So what exactly has Nokia copied from the iPhone. The homescreen of the XM5800 or N97, the N900 multitasking ? What exactly ?

It is a well known fact that Apple is the patent thief in chief - remember scroll wheel of iPod which they stole from creative to mention but a few.

This is the company that threatened to sue an Aussie grocer for using what according to these annoying gits 'looked like Apples logo'.

What are these smug crooks up to now ?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:42 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
I'd imagine this will end like most of these high-profile tech lawsuits do, with an out of court settlement for an undisclosed amount of money, but until then let the fanboy wars begin.
P.S. I'm sorry if I'm not taking this too seriously but that excerpt is so dramatic that I can't help but imagine it read out in a loud booming voice like the one from movie trailers.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:47 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
I call this BS, I'm sure Apple will be thrashed in court, if the case isn't settled out of court. Nokia created 7710 before Apple which carried the original buttonless design, as it goes for the UI, Nokia wouldn't be receiving such bad press from Americans, had they copied the iphone UI.

Doesn't matter if the case settles inside or outside the court, its time for Mr. Jobs to cough up the money.

Last edited by Hardeep1singh; 11-12-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

This is the hole reason why Apple exist, they steal everything around them and call it theres, Apple is the BORG's in disguise, assimilate it all!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Unregistered

This is standard procedure. Expected nothing else.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Is kinetic scrolling patented by Apple, or is there prior art? Does anyone know for sure?
I know pinch-to-zoom is patented in the US. Motorola couldn't ship the Droid in the US with it. The European version of the Droid (Milestone) has it, however.
This could potentially spell trouble for the future of the Symbian and Maemo UIs. Oh well, if push comes to shove, Nokia could stop selling in the US altogether. It wouldn't be a big loss.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 PM

rafiii is on a distinguished road
I am so glad that software pattents don't exist in Europe.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

Apple bought the gesture based stuff from some other company. The lawyers will be the only winners. Apple NEEDS Nokia's technology for sure why Nokia can needs anything to make Symbian look relevant. They will exchange technologies and announce a wonderful agreement. The lawyers will get paid.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:52 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile 13 Apple Patents

13 Eternal Apple Patents :
1 electron 2 locked in battery
3 aluminium 4 justice
5 plastic 6 books
7 circular building 8 1 year warranty
9 big mac 10 micmac
11 illusion 12 scottish prefix
13 in a dozen

Regards jApi NL

Last edited by jApi NL; 12-12-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:11 PM
Unregistered

An increasing amount of articles on here have nothing to do with Symbian.

Which is fine since Symbian is becoming marginalised, but maybe a relaunch with a new name isn't out of order?

Old 12-12-2009, 08:18 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
@Unregistered
Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess you missed the part where the site was going to move towards covering more general smartphone subjects, not just Symbian, or didn't you notice that stories regarding Android and Windows Mobile have also appeared.
P.S. How is Apple suing the company which has had the largest impact on Symbian in recent years, and which once wholly owned (for a short time, but still), not related to Symbian?
Also, what does Symbian's name have anything to do with... anything, actually? Or should I remind you there exists an OS called BaDa, and that the leading PC OS is named after part of a building (cough Windows cough).

Old 12-12-2009, 09:08 PM
De-registered

@adi_pie -> @unregistered

And furthermore, if Nokia did as alleged by Apple "chose to copy the iPhone" what OS did Nokia use to do that?

Old 13-12-2009, 07:52 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafiii View Post
I am so glad that software pattents don't exist in Europe.
Actually, they do. You simply phrase a patent claim as a computer-implementation of a method; as long as the method itself is patentable (ie. novel and inventive), the software-implementation of the method is also patentable. The only thing you can't patent is the code itself....
Ads

Old 13-12-2009, 08:31 AM

buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
An increasing amount of articles on here have nothing to do with Symbian.

Which is fine since Symbian is becoming marginalised, but maybe a relaunch with a new name isn't out of order?
Marginalised? Really?