All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 19-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@ratkat: Fair point, that's not a bad list. Though it does change week to week. When I last looked (about 2 weeks ago), there were about 12 joke/novelties in the first 25.

And I hold my hand up to a little exaggeration - I was trying to provoke discussion. Which seems to have worked 8-)

Old 20-11-2009, 08:50 AM

Qasibr is on a distinguished road
I personally take issue with this whole app store idea. What I hate about this is, this notion that faceless giant corporations decide that they know what's best for each and every individual customer. Apple takes it one step further than the rest, where you can't "legally" install things on YOUR device that you've bought and paid for, until Apple gives a nod(and gets it's cut from the app developer, raising the price you have to pay). Nokia isn't too far behind either, you've got to have any application "signed" from them before being able to install it on your device.

So far, they don't refuse to sign apps based on arbitrary vague notions, but that might change anytime Nokia wants to. Unless you decide to hack your device by going through a procedure that's too technical for a majority of users to perform, Nokia holds the key to the kingdom.. you can't install apps without their approval.

Nokia's appstore isn't the only way to get applications to your device, you can get signed apps from the developer's website, or other stores, but the apps they select would get much more exposure, they'd potentially get access to a much wider market as this Ovi thing takes off. Apps that otherwise would have succeeded if they'd had access to this audience, end up failing.

I don't know what a comprehensive solution is rightnow, but I think the Linux model works pretty well. There's a bunch of software repositories from different "stores", there's an official one with alot of software. If you want niche stuff, you just enable other repositories. So rather than your govt mandating that you can only buy everything at jacked up prices from one single store, you get choices. You can chose to add a whole range of online stores as repositories, and get competitive prices and after-sales services on any given product. Sounds pretty good to me. Big corps don't decide what's "good" for me that way.

Old 20-11-2009, 08:30 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
I don't think editorial control is the answer, nor is being spoilt for choice the problem.

I think the entire mobile industry is suffering from a case of group think when it comes to app stores.

I always say that we had an app store, before Apple, or anyone else, opened theirs. The original app store is called "The World Wide Web".

I'm not saying we should get rid of the App store, they're here and they have uses. Although, I believe the answer is to take the emphasis away form the store, and to put the emphasis onto search instead.

Let's not forget either, that sites like this one, can help out with the plethora of choice in applications by publishing reviews and recommendations, so people know what to aim for before they even go to their app-store.

I would say the best use for the App store is to handle transactions and account identities. Leave discovery to search engines and journalists + bloggers.

Old 21-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Unregistered

app search

"What they need is a better search..."

Try http://appexplorer.com/ for a much better iPhone app search than iTunes.

Old 14-12-2009, 11:22 AM

eventcrasher is on a distinguished road
re:

Iphone needs a better search though...

Old 02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

What they need to do is make finding apps easier, Try

http://www.bestfreeiphoneapplications.com/

For more free apps.