All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Rafe's Nokia World 2009 tour (part 1)

After the morning keynotes and interviews at Nokia World 2009, I decided to take a quick look round the 'experience lounge' at Nokia World. In the video below you can join me on my first tour round the show floor, where I share my first impressions and analysis. You'll get a feel of the atmosphere on the show floor and there's a quick overview of some of Nokia's new service solutions, the Nokia Booklet 3G, Nokia Internet Stick (CS-18) and some third party software.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Unregistered

Bloody hell, an epic hit & run trough the show floor!

Loved it.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Carl Mumford

Enjoyed that a lot, looking forward to Part 2. Good job Rafe.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:23 PM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
Wrestle a prototype off some other journalist and your Martin Brundle moment will be complete

Old 08-09-2009, 02:37 PM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Rafe. I'm sure you were purpose built for this kind of video. Honestly, I loved it.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

Hmmm skipping over the most important device there was.. N900

The rest is really not that interesting, but i guess i am in that aspect not really the target for nokia (dont use facebook, dont use twitter, dont want to tell everybody where i am and what i do all the time)

I just want a mobile phone that can replace my E90. For calling/messaging and webbrowsing most of the time..
Ads

Old 08-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Hassan is on a distinguished road
Really nice walk through video Rafe, yeah i wonder how fast you walk past the N900.

Looks like Nokia doesn't want it to be on front page.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:09 PM

ew4n is on a distinguished road
He didn't brush past the N900 -- it wasn't any good playing with it on the conference floor. Instead Rafe sat down with one and did a full video hands-on with it. It'll be up soon, I expect.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Nokia Fanboy

Notebook 3G thing looks decent, liking the built in GPS and 3G connectivity but the rest looks very sub-par imo.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
There's more to come on the N900. I actually wanted to get round the show floor as a whole (not to mention getting at the N900 among the crowds was not easy). In retrospect I would have liked to spend more time with it. However as mentioned above there's a video coming too.

I know it is virtually heresy to say this as a geek, but the overall relevance of the N900 is open to debate. It is a niche product that will have a limited shelf life and limited distribution.

But hey I want an N900 too, so we'll be doing our best to provide you with much more Maemo and N900 coverage soon...

Old 08-09-2009, 04:33 PM

Cheers Rafe looking forward to some new videos then.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Unregistered

You do realise this video makes you look like a Nokia spokesman? Eight minutes and not a single skeptical word; everything was great, or interesting, or exciting.

Still, good effort in spite of that!

Old 08-09-2009, 06:07 PM
jcompagner

Nokia seems to down play the N900.
I know i am not the best person to talk to because if i look around me for a long time many of my friends/family and co workers had 2 phones: E90 or the E71 (like 5 to 6 E90's and 4 to 5 E71's)

Many of them will all upgrade go to the N900 now.

I guess i am around people that all have a specific taste.. Because how many E90 are sold compared to other Nokia phones? I know nokia was surprised that E71 did so well (also under none business public). I didnt find that surprising at all. So i think N900 will again surprise Nokia again big time.

This is after 2 years finally a phone that can match the E90. 2 years!! thats a long time in phone land! And then i do compare also the none Nokia's (until now there was only one: HTC Touch Pro 2, but that has the wrong OS)

If you want to buy nokia.. tell me why would i buy another high end phone (one that really cost money) like N97 (mini) if you have the N900??

Ok if you want a cheap phone this is nothing for you, but a bit more expensive? only 1 choice in my eyes

Old 08-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Thats right they are downplaying with N900.

Check out this preview Here

Old 08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Founder / Chief

It wasn't the intention to come across as a Nokia's spokesperson, but given the brevity there was a lot of description. I'd also point out that just because something is interesting its not necessairly good.

With nearly everything in this, the idea is interesting, and/or has promise. But the implementation is something else entirely and not something you can judge immediately. For example a new unified Ovi (PC) Suite is the way to go, but the implementation needs to be very good.