All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 82 - software news roundup and hardware content

In All About Symbian Insight 82 (AAS Podcast 144), Rafe and Steve round up software news from Quickoffice, DataViz and Digia. Steve reprises his Mobidapter review and we discussing some of the forthcoming hardware content on AAS including the Samsung i8190, Nokia 5530, E52 and E55. You can listen to AAS Insight 82 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
One piece of errata: using the N97, N96 or similar with the Mobidapter will be no problem, of course, because in addition to the smallish C disk, there's also the huge mass memory. Oops.

Old 14-08-2009, 04:12 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I *really* like the look of the 5530.

Yes, I'm disappointed by the lack of 3G and GPS - that would make it perfect for me.

I'm also curious about the fact that China is a target market, which, I guess, would mean the removal of wifi too (for that market). Can you confirm?

Having said that, people here tend not to like touchscreens much; I guess because touch is not great for entering Chinese and they much prefer the T9-type keypad. Perhaps there's something more complex going on and touchscreens can work somehow...

Anyway, for me, the 5530 looks great mainly because it has speakers on the *front*. However, I've not tried one, so I don't know if it really does have speakers on the front, or it just looks like it. I hate speakers on the back....do the designers think we're always behind the device, or we turn it around when we listen. I often sit my E90 in it's 90-degree angle and lie it up-side-down on it's edges, which at least points the speakers the right way, but I can't see the screen from there so it's no good for Steve's podcast or youtube/etc.

I love the look though, since it sort of reminds me of the stereos that were available in the early '80s; but with a TV in the middle (actually, I recall a Sharp one that did have a TV in the middle).

Can someone confirm that the speakers are on the front? Are they loud?

Max.
Ads

Old 27-08-2009, 01:08 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterma View Post
Hi,
Anyway, for me, the 5530 looks great mainly because it has speakers on the *front*. However, I've not tried one, so I don't know if it really does have speakers on the front, or it just looks like it.
It doesn't have speakers on the front. The 'speakers' are small slits on the side of the device.

Disappointed. Again.