All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 PM

treehundred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratkat View Post
anyone want to take a note of amount device memory before and after installation on the N97

what to see how much it uses and if it still installs seperately

thats what I was wondering

Old 02-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

Nokia 5800 map north direction

Can anyone confirm that on a 5800, one cannot track GPS position and have north be the up direction? For me, when it follows my GPS position, it auto-orients "up" to be the direction of travel. If I press on the compass, it temporarily switches to north-up, but after a few seconds switches back to auto-up. There is no setting for this in the options menu either, like there apparently is for other models. This bug has been around since the beta.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

yes, i've installed the last version, all was working.....

But now try to open Nokia Map loader 1.0.7 and always crashing, i dont know why.....strange;...

Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
The solution to my earlier problem appeared to be to update my E71 firmware first, the Maps Updater then worked.

Interestingly, using Ovi Suite 2.0 to update the firmware, before I updated it offered me an update to Maps 3.0 but after updating this option wasn't there so I had to do it using Maps Updater!

Ah, the logic of Nokia!

Rephrase that, if I entered software update from the home page of Ovi Suite the Maps update option was not there but if I entered it from the Maps page it was. Go figure as they say somewhere :-)

Last edited by Jejoma; 02-07-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Same Problem with 5800 on PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
I've now got Ovi Maps installed on the 5800, but the PC app crashed when converting maps, and it seems to now crash every time I run it, whilst the Map Downloader in PC Suite seems to be for Ovi Maps 2.0. Typical...

Ovi Maps 3.0 actually looks very good on the phone, but yet again Nokia's PC software has let them down.
I have the same problem. I installed the program on my PC. I connected my 5800 and the software installed fine on the device. Then when the maps were being updated, the pc application crashes. Now it crashes every time that I launch it once I connect my device.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Unregistered

This is an amazing release. On my N82, it performs so much faster than the old version... particularly zooming in and out. I LOVE the 3D models of famous landmarks. This reminds me again why I don't want an iPhone.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy purport tonights

I also have problems with installation.

The last beta install resulted in blank maps unless I went online.
This version didn't go quite as smoothly as that..the installer crashed with "cannot get IMEI" and I have maps 3.0 with blank maps offline and online (N95 8GB).

I still think Google maps is brilliant and it just works, never a problem with install or use despite numerous updates. I remain unsurprised the Nokia relase/installation and update of apps is still so unreliable compared to their peers
Ads

Old 03-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

record-holder trotter

More good stuff: I was looking for the Walk license for the Baltic States, as I'm going on holiday there next month. But turns out that my previous Benelux Walk license has been upgraded to cover all of Europe. Nice.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Just about every sodding piece of desktop software I've tried from Nokia recently either won't install or won't run once it's installed. Spectacular fail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fail.jpg (34.9 KB, 4 views)

Old 03-07-2009, 05:33 PM

RS77 is on a distinguished road
FP1 sis-file download exclusive by S60inside: http://s60inside.wordpress.com/2009/...eroffentlicht/
------------------------------------------
- S60inside - S60 News, Infos, Tests -

Old 03-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

At last! Have managed to install Maps 3.0 AND get Map Uploader to put the UK maps onto my memory card. The most mind buggering part of it all is the Map Uploader for this version... the previous version (2.0) needed your phone to be in Data Transfer mode whereas this new one wants it in PC Suite mode! Not that Nokia tell you that anywhere on the screen. Still, its working well on my N95 8Gb but I have to question, given the frustration caused by the ineptitude of Nokia's software development people, was it all worth it ?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 AM

A new version of Nokia Maps Updater was released at about three minutes to five last night (Friday) and seems to work fine on both the PCs that I was having problems with. One can only imagine the arse kicking that the engineers responsible for the cock-up were subjected to.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM

I now have it installed on both an N95-1 and a 5800 but it took a whole day. Neither handset is able to contact the licence server, though, and the 5800 seems to think it doesn't have a licence.

In future I shall take the words "graduated from beta" with a pinch of salt.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM

LJS is on a distinguished road
Have given Ovi Maps a go and am quite impressed with the speed improvements, for me i especially admire the zoom speed which is now MUCH better than before.

All i have to do now is decide whether to buy a liscence when the 90 trial expires, decisions decisions.....

Old 05-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Geraner is on a distinguished road
License Prices and coverage subscription changed

I have seen that Nokia also changed there License Prices and coverage subscription with Nokia Maps 3.0.

In the past, you could subscribe for only Scanidavia, or Only Germany/Austria/Switzerland, but also for whole Europe.
Now you can only buy licenses for which will cover voice guide for whole Europe.
The same with USA and Canada. In the old version you could buy only USA, or only Canada. In Nokia Maps 3.0 you can only buy for whole North America (Canada, United States, Puerto Rico).

Also Nokia changed there subscription periods.
In Maps 2.0 you could buy:
- 30 days
- 90 days
- 1 year

In Maps 3.0 you can buy:
- 1 day
- 30 days
- 30 days subscription
- 1 year

Also the prices have slightly been changed.
Some examples:
Navigation in Europe
1 day = € 1,99 (not available before)
30 days = € 7,99 (about € 10,- before)
30 days subscription = € 6,49 (not available before)
1 year = € 59,99 (same price as before)

The whole price list for all regions can be found here.

Also now, the City explorer is available for 2 years only for a price of € 8,99. (Europe region).

About the installation.

Nokia Maps 3.0 didn't start directly after the installation.
I had first to delete all old maps on my memory card. Restarted the phone and downloaded the maps again. Then it was working.

The 7 days Free Navigation Licence which I activated yesterday, was still remaining on the phone, after the upgrade.
Will go out end test the new Nokia maps, during this week.

Also, the maps are larger then before. For example.
Map for Sweden
Nokia Maps 2.0 = 81 MB
Nokia Maps 3.0 = 103,9 MB

And finally, you can select whether to download male or female voice navigation in the most languages.

Last edited by Geraner; 05-07-2009 at 01:45 PM.