All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ovi Maps 3.0 is now officially released (but you need a PC)

It's official. After months of beta testing, Nokia has released Ovi Maps (née Nokia Maps) 3.0 to the world for most (but not all) S60 3rd Edition FP1, FP2 and S60 5th Edition phones. The download is a 20MB Windows installer, so you do have to own a PC, but there's a little note on the Ovi Maps download page saying that Mac support is 'coming soon'. I certainly hope so. See also Rafe's preview of this release, here on AAS.

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 AM
newn97

works with ovi suite 2

Separate installer is not needed. Ovi suite update button automatically installs new map 3.0 release. Also worked for new software release yesterday.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Ah. Noted. But still PC only 8-)

Old 02-07-2009, 01:10 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I am confused. Are you saying that v3.0 can only be installed on your phone by downloading the installer (20MB!!), connecting your phone through a data cable (or bluetooth) and then running the executable file that was downloaded???

Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Unregistered

Newbie question alert

For what features is a data connection essential (i.e. can't be worked around somehow)? e.g. my understanding is all maps can be downloaded but routing requires an internet connection.

If routing does require internet (and I understand there is a monthly cost too?) does it just require it initially when calculating the route, or continuously?

I am evaluating Ovi Maps vs my usual combination of TomTom for driving and Google Maps for everything else.

Any other features of Ovi Maps require internet?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:26 PM

jrmt is on a distinguished road
Installed fine on my Nokia N82

Ovi Maps 3.0 installed fine on my Nokia N82. Seems smoother and quicker to zoom compared with previous releases ... will have to check the map accuracy and routing over the next few weeks...

Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
anyone want to take a note of amount device memory before and after installation on the N97

what to see how much it uses and if it still installs seperately

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 02-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

JimH is on a distinguished road
PC app crashes

I've now got Ovi Maps installed on the 5800, but the PC app crashed when converting maps, and it seems to now crash every time I run it, whilst the Map Downloader in PC Suite seems to be for Ovi Maps 2.0. Typical...

Ovi Maps 3.0 actually looks very good on the phone, but yet again Nokia's PC software has let them down.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

downloaded the 5800 version and ran installer. It would not recognize the phone even though connected through PC Suite. I ran Maps 3.0 and tried again and all was well. Paul

Old 02-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

Angry Nokia software

Nokia's Beta Testers need taking to a vets. Maps Updater ran, installed Maps 3.0 onto my N95 8Gb and then crashed. Now the Maps app on the phone won't run, I can't remove it and Maps Updater persistently crashes. Any suggestions, apart from reflashing my phone ?

Old 02-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
The installer gets as far as checking my E71 for updates and crashes part way through. SIlly, the Beta of 3.0 worked fine - I should have left it as is.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down License Shop no longer working

Updated my Ovi Maps 3.0 beta via Maps Updater. The release version was installed, but now Maps Updater will no longer run (crashes while identifying phone). In addition, I can no longer go into the "Shop" section of the "Shop & licenses" menu ... it gives me the "you need to be online" message, and after that does nothing.

Looks like they don't want me to buy a drive license. Were there even any changes from the previous beta to this release?

Ravi

Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

re: License Shop no longer working

OK problem fixed, by just circumventing the stupid Maps Updater program, manually sending the .sis file directly to my phone, and overwriting the existing Maps program. Glad to have the license shop back.

Ravi

Old 02-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Reply to Newbie question alert :)

You do not need internet connection for routing. From options inside ovi maps you select "Go Offline" if it is already online or you can set Ovi maps to prompt you everytime it is launched whether to go online or not. Things you do not have with not going online is, online searching within maps for places, live trafic info, weather alerts etc... Offline search of places exist though.

Good thing about this is, it will also re-route like normal tom-tom or any other GPS and no cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Newbie question alert

For what features is a data connection essential (i.e. can't be worked around somehow)? e.g. my understanding is all maps can be downloaded but routing requires an internet connection.

If routing does require internet (and I understand there is a monthly cost too?) does it just require it initially when calculating the route, or continuously?

I am evaluating Ovi Maps vs my usual combination of TomTom for driving and Google Maps for everything else.

Any other features of Ovi Maps require internet?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Looks like things are not going well on the Maps 3.0 front. Maps Updater now refuses to connect to the Maps Server (totally refuses) and Map Uploader behaves the same way. Not going according to plan for Nokia methinks...