All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-06-2009, 07:12 PM

lark is on a distinguished road
Feedback from news post comment thread

I guess this is a sign of the times when AAS starts to lose its professionalism and become a Nokia fan site. I am not saying its not a 'critical' fan site but it has lost the objectivity that made it a valuable source of information.

This is not to say that I agree with the rather pathetic criticism of the N97 based on its processor and lack of graphic accelerator; this is just typical geek mono-vision (similar to the criticism the original iphone received - the fact was no one cared that the iphone was crippled functionally because it was fun to use).

Yesterday I played with a N97 in a Nokia shop in the Abu Dhabi mall. I had intended to replace my E90 with the N97 but the price (3050 AED), keyboard, lack of BB functionality and the flex in the resistive screen put me off. Maybe once it drops in price to 2500 AED I might pick it up (or the E72).

I am sure it will sell very well because A) it is a Nokia and B) a few of widgets are actually very useful to certain demographics. And one thing I can definitely saż; the N97 is quite fast. It feels quicker than the current iPhone in most operations although at the same time it is a bit jarring and not as smooth.

However the point is that this AAS article is a fluffy opinion piece based on 10 minutes with the phone. What about the Omnia HD? Right now this arguably the flagship Symbian device. And quite frankly I am sure another "guest writer"/unemployed banker could write a similar love-in on the Omnia HD (actually have both opinions on the post may have made the article a little more balanced).

I think this would be acceptable if this article was a once off but over the past 12 months AAA has shifted to playing rah-rah cheerleader for whatever Nokia initiative is launched (often in beta) rather than demanding production quality software on fantastic hardware - which by the way was the formula that lead to Nokia current market domination. It would be refreshing to hear AAS say this phone/service is crap... rather than another Ewan/Steve apologist statement of "well I am sure that once all of the kinks are ironed out it will be great." Sorry guys, the statistical evidence is that it won't be great, it will be middling at best and most likely never evolve beyond crap because Nokia will abandon it in 2 months to focus on the next "best" thing.

I have not seen a company throw away a market like this since Apple...

Old 15-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
I guess this is a sign of the times when AAS starts to lose its professionalism and become a Nokia fan site. I am not saying its not a 'critical' fan site but it has lost the objectivity that made it a valuable source of information.

However the point is that this AAS article is a fluffy opinion piece based on 10 minutes with the phone. What about the Omnia HD? Right now this arguably the flagship Symbian device. And quite frankly I am sure another "guest writer"/unemployed banker could write a similar love-in on the Omnia HD (actually have both opinions on the post may have made the article a little more balanced).
OK thanks for the feedback. Bear in mind this is an editorial / thoughts piece which do tend to be more subjective. We also like to experiment with different voices / content ideas (producing unique content each and every day is not always as easy as it sounds). I'd also ask you not to judge on one or even several bits of content.

With regards to the Omnia HD - I would say it is the best piece of Symbian hardware on specs alone (and that's what some people want), but it is less of a complete package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
I think this would be acceptable if this article was a once off but over the past 12 months AAA has shifted to playing rah-rah cheerleader for whatever Nokia initiative is launched (often in beta) rather than demanding production quality software on fantastic hardware - which by the way was the formula that lead to Nokia current market domination. It would be refreshing to hear AAS say this phone/service is crap... rather than another Ewan/Steve apologist statement of "well I am sure that once all of the kinks are ironed out it will be great."
Sorry you feel that way. We do try and avoid simple cheer leading and offer our opinion, but its entirely possible we're too forgiving sometimes. There's always a balance in these things of course - while half the job is just to let people know about these things, the other half is to offer an opinion of whether it is any good or not. I would point out (examples from the last month) that we were quite critical of the Ovi Store launch and you'll see a piece tomorrow from Ewan on the 5800 Comes with Music that makes a number of criticisms of the CwM service.

I also think that its important to realise the world has changed - great hardware is not enough (as I alluded with the Omnia HD above). That's why we talk more about software than we did five years ago... and software is a different beast.. it evolves over time. e.g. this weeks Ovi Maps beta - now much better than the first 2 betas.

I also think we've seen a general rise in beta type stuff in technology in general. Perhaps this is partly a result of increased complexity?

Old 15-06-2009, 07:30 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
I used to love AAS and it pains me to say it but it has now become an advertisment platform for Nokia. Thank God this isn't just me saying it, but as evidenced above, many others also.

This article is just the final nail in the coffin. I am almost convinced AAS did this farce on purpose to stir up controversy. I don't see any other reasons for such rubbish reporting. All objectivity has been lost.

Yes, the N97 is praised in blogosphere in some circles. But by whom? By people who like to call themselves "bloggers" who get their trial devices from Nokia. In their technolust they become fanboys and what we get is advertisments for Nokia.

And speaking of cheerleading... just visit conversations.nokia.com, it will make you sick to your stomach. But then again it's a Nokia owned site they have all the right to create a false aura of greatness about their products. I'm just hoping that people can see through the c**p. And I'm saddened that AAS has jumped on the bandwagon.

Last edited by Arthur; 15-06-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Old 15-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
I used to love AAS and it pains me to say it but it has now become an advertisment platform for Nokia. Thank God this isn't just me saying it, but as evidenced above, many others also.

This article is just the final nail in the coffin. I am almost convinced AAS did this farce on purpose to stir up controversy. I don't see any other reasons for such rubbish reporting. All objectivity has been lost.
See the comments I made above. Though I will add that we didn't do it to stir controversy (though I did think it would cause debate). This is a guest writer offering an opinion. Do you think we should drop this type of content altogether (or maybe you see this as a general problem on AAS) or perhaps label things more clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
And speaking of cheerleading... just visit conversations.nokia.com, it will make you sick to your stomach. But then again it's a Nokia owned site they have all the right to create a false aura of greatness about their products. I'm just hoping that people can see through the c**p. And I'm saddened that AAS has jumped on the bandwagon.
I think with any source of information you have to measure it against your own opinion and experience with the content source. When I read a newspaper I will recall that it may hold a certain viewpoint (i.e. papers being identified as right or left leaning). I think you can even carry this down to individual writers.

Clearly Nokia Conversations is going to have a certain voice as a Nokia source (although I think its very good to see Nokia doing something more informal than press releases that engages with community). You just have to remember that when reading it.

All information is useful, but you have to understand it in context. And of course some information is more useful than others.

Old 15-06-2009, 08:02 PM

smellati is on a distinguished road
You people make me sick. Why is it so wrong to like a phone.

You want AAS to admit that the n97 is crap? Why? Because you cant afford it? Because you want to feel better about whatever phone you currently own?

I've never met such cowardly behavior around a new gadget. No, its not perfect, but its not crap and its probably better than whatever phone you own.

It's like this with any forum dedicated to a certain product. People will shoot it down cause they cant have one or shoot others down cause they dont wont to feel bad about their own purchase.

AAS is doing a great job and reviewing the unit more accurately than any other site if you ask me.

You want to talk about being forgiving? You better take a second look at the iphone. I've owned the 3g for 6 months and simply couldnt stand it anymore and got rid of it. even my cousin whos a 15 year old girl who is not a gadget freak, got rid of her iphone 3g in 3 weeks!

I'm so sick of people thinking the iphone is the best and everyone else are simply trying to "kill" the iphone. You want an iphone killer? Look at any free phone offered by att. The iphone has a great UI, but that doesnt forgive all of its flaws. I would rather have a itouch. I have bigger standards for my phone.

Old 15-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Damon Simons

Boygenius

I found this commentary really helpful and didn't take it as a review! people stop being so insane - this is clearly not a 'review' but more a comment piece. Anyway whoever was going on about the boygenius review it has gotten so many insane comments about what a crap review it was and how biased it was. At least here is someone passionate about the phone and look how popular the Nokia Express music 5800 is!?
Ads

Old 15-06-2009, 08:19 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Feedback from news post comment thread

Rafe, thanks for your response on this. As you know, I've been pretty vocal in my opinions for over a year now and you've taken a lot of what's been said on board, but let's look at AAS and what it's become in my own opinion:

Rafe - you are the professional apologist for the site. Yes, you may have been critical when the Ovi store was launched, but from what has appeared on the site in due course, that criticism has withered to a mild whimper. Acceptable if Ovi Store had come on leaps and bounds, but it hasn't, end of. The world may have changed and the focus maybe more software centric but it is still devices that are the focus of a phone fan.

Steve - Psion, Xenon flashes and Psions. On and on, repeated ad naseum. And posting totally biased, subjective 'articles' opinion pieces that are rarely responded to (Rafe normally steps into the breach) and an inability to accept when the world is turning the other way (remember that 'resistive screens have their place' article)?

Ewan - the Devil's Advocate whose humour just passes straight over the heads of Rafe and Steve. Knows a lot about NGage/Ovi Gaming but honestly, who is actively fascinated by that car crash? Oh, will join Steve in a circle jerk when Psion is mentioned.

So what do we have? A mix of personalities and knowledge to call Nokia to book when they have it wrong and shout out 'BUY THIS' when they have it right? Nope - 'I agree, I agree and I agree' with all the teeth of a meeting of parish vicars!

When are we going to see...?

a) No one giving a flying f*** that Nokia is releasing more handsets for the emerging markets and getting down to the real business of reviewing and testing the sexy, high-spec and latest releases in the Symbian world. If Symbian is dumbing down, say it loud, say it proud and maybe think about 'All About N Series' for us not into the latest Nokia 53xx device?

b) Pointing the finger and say 'you are talking out your a***' when Nokia or one of the team comes up with something so obviously clutching at straws or waxing lyrical about technology from 1993, instead of 'I agree with you' then departing off on a tangent in the direction of Jupiter?

c) An end to the endless reptiton of recent months - witness N82, Xenon flashes, 5800 hero worship, evangelical hope in the N97/Ovi as the second coming, non-acknowledgement of the iPhone as a game changer and even Android? I'll buy you a buzzer to hit everytime one of the aforementioned words is mentioned!

d) An end to the Nokia-centric view of the world? Just look at the past week - the iPhone 3GS, the Palm Pre and the N97 launched. Unless your browser only circumnavigates Symbian related websites, it must have dawned on you that the iPhone 3GS and the Pre have generated far more column inches than the Nokia N97 could ever hope to muster. Sure, the Apple Acolytes have their numbers, but the Pre... Surely this must spark of a question, a suspision, a nagging doubt that Nokia is not the pre-eminent force it was at the cutting edge? And if Nokia isn't at the cutting edge any more with it's focus on mid-range S60 devices, then collectively admit it (refer to a) above).

e) Get some new blood on board to stir things up who doesn't buy into the current AAS status quo.

I'm done, 'nuff said!

Old 15-06-2009, 08:26 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellati View Post
You people make me sick. Why is it so wrong to like a phone.

You want AAS to admit that the n97 is crap? Why? Because you cant afford it? Because you want to feel better about whatever phone you currently own?
Thank you for your informative post. I can easily afford the N97 - don't worry about that. But I won't buy it. And no, I am not an Apple fanboy, I don't own any Apple products.

Not everyone who thinks the N97 is an inferior product is an Apple fanboy. Get it?

What me and others would love from this site is objective reporting. Not advertisments for Nokia. That's all.

Old 15-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Morpheus, read your post again and then find a dictionary (Nokia phones have them) and look up the word 'hypocrite'.

You are speaking for yourself and a few others, but you have gone as far overboard in one direction as you say AAS has in another.

It's not like these guys are Nokia exclusive. Check out www.allaboutiphone.net/

Old 15-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Unregistered

Angry Sad sad people!!

Who really cares! Stop all your bitching and go read another column somewhere else on the net if you don't like what you read here. I'm sure the AAS guys don't need your posts which are boardering on being flames for the time they invest in this site! So go on get on your bike and don't come back!

Old 15-06-2009, 09:02 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
Well I like the site, like the content, like the editorial and happen to think the chaps are doing a great job. Everybody needs to chill the heck out!

No clue about whether to buy an N97 though. I keep yo-yoing between phones like some kind of crazy person. But I do seem to keep leaning N97-wards...

Old 15-06-2009, 09:22 PM

smellati is on a distinguished road
morpheus although I dont agree with everything you say, your discription on rafe, ewan and steve are spot on!...lol.

I agree that we all need to relax though.

I personally cant wait for my n97!!!

Old 15-06-2009, 09:24 PM

phonophiliac is on a distinguished road
What is with all of the comments over the past few days? I can't tell if it's some smear campaign from one of Nokia's competitors, or if people are really that pissed at AAS and the content they choose to publish.

Editorials in the paper or online tend to cause debate, but everything being said of late is so over the top, so vitriolic, that I can't believe it to be anything other than a smear campaign.

Who the hell cares so much about the N97 or Pre or Iphone or whatever? If you don't like the content, don't read it; and if you don't like the phone, don't buy it.

To come to a site that is as established as AAS, with editors as respected throughout the industry as those on AAS, and lambaste all of them with personal attacks, throwing around phrases like "circle jerk", is embarrassing. Seriously, the people throwing around personal attacks should be embarrassed.

Get a grip. Step away from the keyboard. Go for a walk. Relax. Youíre embarrassing yourself on the internet, and thatís saying something.

Rock on Rafe (youíre more patient than Iíd ever be), Steve and Ewan.

-Phono

Old 15-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Csc

I think I need to go back to College Humor and watch the Internet Forum Commenter Business Meeting one again. If you haven't, you should.

Old 15-06-2009, 09:36 PM
TheTruth

minrelli Mr

You just need to count how many articles are about the N97 recently. Compare this to say the Omnia HD...

Sadly this is the case with many tech sites. If there is not much praise for a particular manufacturer or product they soon will lose support with no free prototype samples, free invites to venues, sponsorship etc.

Just look at My-symbian for example who is very objective but don't get much support from the manufacturers.

Sad reality but many sites are biased.

Best thing to do is to take most articles with a pinch of salt. At the very least read from many different sites WM, Symbian, Apple etc. You'll get a more balanced view...