All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 15-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia 5530 - touchscreen, music smartphone at €200

Nokia today announced the Nokia 5530 XpressMusic, a music-focused, touchscreen phone running S60 5th Edition. It will be available from Q3 2009 at a cost of €200. It has 2.9 inch (640 x 360) touchscreen, 3.2 megapixel camera, accelerometer, 3.5 mm audio jack, FM radio and will ship with a 4 GB memory card. The homescreen features a 20 person contact thumbnails carousel with communication and conversation history just a touch away. The drop down media bar gives fast access to key phone functionality including music, photos, video, web and share. Effectively the 5530 is a cut down version of the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic with a smaller screen, no 3G connectivity, and no GPS. Read on for more.

Read on in the full article.

Old 15-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Presumably we'll be getting this updated standby screen on the 5800 firmware by the time the 5530 arrives? That looks absolutely excellent...

I think it's pretty clear from this that Nokia intends S60 to cover an ever more mass market range of devices. If a 2.9 inch touchscreen S60 smartphone is 200 euros at launch then we can expect the cheapest button-based S60 devices to be maybe half that. Series 40 will probably end up entirely confined to sub-100 euro devices, and who knows how long before S60 takes that over too...

Old 15-06-2009, 06:16 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Series 40 will probably end up entirely confined to sub-100 euro devices, and who knows how long before S60 takes that over too...
I think Series 40 will stay around. You forget that S40 devices are becoming 'smarter' by the day, through they may not be as smart as S60 devices. Many of them are prettier (check out the supernova range from Nokia) and meet the requirements of the mass and the common users. If S60 devices are getting cheaper, I am sure the S40 ones can get cheaper too.
Ads

Old 15-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Malerocks, I've got nothing but respect for Series 40 devices, I have a couple of S40s as spare phones, and it would be interesting to see what would happen if S40 models got touchscreens as well.

But it doesn't look like S40 has anywhere left to go now, there are already S40 models which sell for 25 euros SIM-free, prices aren't going to go much lower than that.

It could get to the point where it's cheaper and easier for Nokia to just make all the mid and low end stuff S60... No one knows for sure, but that does seem a possibility.

Old 15-06-2009, 08:18 AM

andrew.gill is on a distinguished road
3,2 megapixel camera :(

wow, we see Nokia really competing with the iPhone now with this 3.2 megapixel camera ...

although this maybe music focused, it would be nice to see a good camera and good music - i believe convergence is the way to go

andrew

Last edited by andrew.gill; 15-06-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Old 15-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Unregistered

Nice looking entry level phone, appealing to younger buyers, also it's an excellent compact size. Nokia have an excellent strategy of making phones for all purposes.

Old 15-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Wow, when was the last time Nokia released a S60 device with no 3G support? 2004?

I think it's only a matter of time until S60 takes it all. S30 used to be fairly large a decade ago and my 3510 from 2002 use it, but how many devices use S30 now? They are all gone in favor of S40, as it will be in favor of S60.

Last edited by Kazutoyo; 15-06-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Old 15-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Yes it clearly all about the price with this phone. There's no comparable product from another company - Nokia are really showing their muscle here - the benefits of hardware and software platforms are being amply demonstrated.

For markets like China and India the price point could be key. Consider also that this will promote Ovi services too. This handset could easily sell in bigger numbers than the 5800. Shipping with Ovi Store on board and things start lookign interesting.

For mature markets it might be of interest as a higher end PAYG device.

I'm still digesting this one though, so more thoughts in due course.

Old 15-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Unregistered

Yes, an excellent device. Anyone who laments no 3G or GPS is totally missing the point of this phone, and of Nokia's strategy.

In many ways this device blows the iPhone out of the water - it's the combination of price, S60 power, freedom (no carrier lock in unlike iPhone) and yet still loads of aspirational features - a good touchscreen, great pic quality, camera, excellent audio, Ovi stuff.

The invasion (of Nokia) continues!

Old 15-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Unregistered

QUOTE: Presumably we'll be getting this updated standby screen on the 5800 firmware by the time the 5530 arrives? That looks absolutely excellent...

Yeah right, i've been asking same thing about why we 5800 owners got no screen like the n97, doubt we'll get this one either

Old 15-06-2009, 11:12 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
QUOTE: Presumably we'll be getting this updated standby screen on the 5800 firmware by the time the 5530 arrives? That looks absolutely excellent...
Yeah right, i've been asking same thing about why we 5800 owners got no screen like the n97, doubt we'll get this one either
Looks like some 5800 users will want the 5530 screen while some will want the n97 screen. What will Nokia do? Tough decision...

Old 15-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Unregistered

5800 or?

This little gem makes my decision on buying a 5800 even harder. Using an E71 at the moment but the lack of screen upgrade on the e72 doesn't make it a winner in my part.

If only they had left the y5 in this thing i'd be laughing. Not sue I could live without it. No pictures of the rear casing? It's such a much more sleek package than they 5800 but could we soon be seeing a 5mp 5800 in this sleek shell?

Old 15-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Hooksym is on a distinguished road
This will probably correctly identify me as a dinosaur , but as a happy 5800 user, I think 2.9" for a touchscreen with no D-pad is getting a mite cramped. Again, just my opinion, YMMV.

Old 15-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Unregistered

Looks better than the 5800

You've gotta love the design of this phone. It departs from the plasticky and toyish appeal of the Nokia 5800 to a more sophisticated devise. Change the theme and it could even pass as a sleek business phone.

The flushed screen and metal trimmings make it look more expensive than the 5800. The white variant just looks amazing. This phone would make iPhone and other manufacturers a run for their money and quite frankly, take the thunder from the 5800 not unless Nokia plans to cut the latter's market life (which seems unlikely).

As a 5800 user myself, I am honestly thinking about trading my 5800 for this phone. The 5530 is perfect for those who are uncompromising in their design taste, with appreciation for music, and a flair for (mobile) social connection. Perhaps most 5800 users would agree that GPS is something used less than 10% of the time. The lack of 3G can be a difficult trade off but inconsequential for those with ample wi-fi access but not for the road warriors.

Nokia, yet again, has struck gold with this devise. Just when you thought that the Nokia 5800 was a mid-tier, here comes a phone that is "mid,mid-tier." Kudos for the brilliant marketing positioning and strategy!

Danilo

Old 15-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Unregistered

Before people get carried away, nobody has handled this phone, there's a good chance it won't feel as good as it looks. It's pitched below the 5800, well below judging by the functionality it is missing and is not intended to supercede the 5800, just to take its place alongside it in the marketplace(s).