All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 80

Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
nisched

tried it

just tried it on T9 and my E70. I was a bit quicker than steve and quicker on the qwerty than T9 but not much. however, it felt much nicer and less manic on the qwerty maybe because of the extra space/buttons. very subjective though, qwerty familiarity is high with this one.

Steve, thanks for the auto-correct comment. also, like the idea of having the same on the N97/E75 although obviously it is no use if it doesn't work. more detail on this? sapporobaby sounded happy with it but your "omnipresent" put-down was worrying.

I preferred T9 to qwerty on the 5800. easier to hit the right key and I hated the portrait qwerty on the iphone. too small even with auto-correct. but then you can get used to almost anything if you try, I like my E70 but many hate it.
Ads

Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
keyboard?

Two thumbing an touchscreened N800 tested slightly faster as a iPhone and some other mini-qwerty devices. A hardware keyboard mostly increases the screenspace for viewing and composition and allows you to focus more on composing instead of typing. Remember most people think and type at the same time. Can you do this with T9? This is why qwerty rocks vs touchscreen keyboards. Mini-qwerty also beats the crap out of T9 when doing mixed languages. It is simple as that.

Last edited by snoyt; 10-06-2009 at 03:07 PM.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

have you tried it with a blackberry? im curious how that compares. personally i just got 45 seconds on my first try which makes it the fastest on the list but then the blackberry is my daily phone.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Dynite is on a distinguished road
All attempts to become the world's fastest texter have to use the following two sentences: "The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human."

Competitors are not allowed to use spelling aids or a predictive text programme on their phone.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Unregistered

N95 speed using predictive text

First try I did it in 65 seconds, so that's 29.5wpm.
Second try i did it in 60 seconds, so that's right on 32wpm.

Plus it's 2am here so my ability is hampered!

I'm thinking if I can get that fast with predictive text, I should easily be able to hit 45+wpm with a decent qwerty pad.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Huschke2009

I have no idea as to what text you use or how fast you normally type, but at least I can type 38wpm on my Nokia 5800.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Huschke2009

Ok I reread the article and tryed it againg. 30 wpm , but still

Old 10-06-2009, 06:09 PM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
N95 8gb is at the bottom? Learn T9, man! I can smoke ALL those numbers with a 9-key and I'm sure a lot of readers can too!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Unregistered

How do you measure the WPM? I tried Dynite's sentence and I had 44 seconds. And dit an awful lot of mistakes. Interestingly, before I cut my nails I was hovering around 50 seconds for the same text!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
^Angel^

Cool i-phone better than N97?!

Is than even possible that i-phone is faster in writing messages than N97?! Is it a joke or what?! How can u be faster on a touchscreen than on a qwerty keybord?! Do u have pen-styled-fingers?! =D

Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
"N95 8gb is at the bottom? Learn T9, man! I can smoke ALL those numbers with a 9-key and I'm sure a lot of readers can too!"

Did you look through the whole table? Ahem. The N95 8GB (representing numeric keypad phones) is in the table TWICE.

"Is than even possible that i-phone is faster in writing messages than N97?! Is it a joke or what?! How can u be faster on a touchscreen than on a qwerty keybord?!"

You try it. The iPhone's superb writing aids mean that you can tap away and get EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER WRONG IN A WORD - and it'll still guess the right word and insert it! I'm not being an iPhone fanboy here - just appreciating their software tech. Try it on an iPhone or iPod Touch, especially in landscape mode - you can get some VERY fast speeds up, only ruined a little by having to put in real names and punctuation etc.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 PM

jonnybruha is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
"N95 8gb is at the bottom? Learn T9, man! I can smoke ALL those numbers with a 9-key and I'm sure a lot of readers can too!"

Did you look through the whole table? Ahem. The N95 8GB (representing numeric keypad phones) is in the table TWICE.

"Is than even possible that i-phone is faster in writing messages than N97?! Is it a joke or what?! How can u be faster on a touchscreen than on a qwerty keybord?!"

You try it. The iPhone's superb writing aids mean that you can tap away and get EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER WRONG IN A WORD - and it'll still guess the right word and insert it! I'm not being an iPhone fanboy here - just appreciating their software tech. Try it on an iPhone or iPod Touch, especially in landscape mode - you can get some VERY fast speeds up, only ruined a little by having to put in real names and punctuation etc.
I read through the whole thing. Even where the T9 entry is, it's still way too low. Let ME do the test. I'll let you know where T9 sits.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 PM
^Angel^

Talking Tnx

Tnx for the proposal but no =D Actually I've got the 3rd phone of the list, Qtek9000, and I'm not going to change it before xmas with the King of my xmas gifts: Nokia 5730xpress music....love it!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Estep16

I just typed out the test on the E75 in 50 seconds.

Also, I find it hard to believe that the N95 8GB made such low marks with T9 enabled. I can type extremely fast on the device and fail to see how it does so poorly in comparison to some of the other devices.

Again, everyone's perspective on text input speed will be subjective to the user. What may work for Steve may be different for others, and vice versa.

Good article!

Old 10-06-2009, 08:25 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
Interesting article! It would be great if you could update it over time with data from more current phones, like the Nokia E71, E75, E55 (it would be great if you could get your hands on one of these, I'm curious about what speed can be achieved with a half-qwerty), Samsung i8910.